Steve MacLean | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Steve MacLean

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
MacLean scored a hat trick today in his final match for St Johnstone who he leaves in the summer to join Hearts.
St Johnstone were away to Motherwell who had Carl McHugh and Nadir Ciftci playing for them. McHugh got withdrawn at half time when they were 3-0 down and Ciftci got booked.
MacLean is now 35. I thought he was dire at Home Park and never understood what prompted Paul Sturrock to pay £500,000 for him.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Some say he was a payer with too much ‘on field’ intelligence not really suited to our style of play.

On face value I just didn’t see any thing worthwhile in him as a striker

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Green as Grass":36grkd4l said:
MacLean scored a hat trick today in his final match for St Johnstone who he leaves in the summer to join Hearts.
St Johnstone were away to Motherwell who had Carl McHugh and Nadir Ciftci playing for them. McHugh got withdrawn at half time when they were 3-0 down and Ciftci got booked.
MacLean is now 35. I thought he was dire at Home Park and never understood what prompted Paul Sturrock to pay £500,000 for him.
I think it was because at Sheffield W under Sturrock MacLean was brilliant. Similarly, Folly was a brilliant prospect a Southampton yet did little here.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
memory man":mnbaomgi said:
Green as Grass":mnbaomgi said:
I think it was because at Sheffield W under Sturrock MacLean was brilliant. Similarly, Folly was a brilliant prospect a Southampton yet did little here.
Yes that can be the only explanation but sadly there was no sign of that whilst he was at Argyle. I am amazed that he is still going strong. It must be an indication of the weakness of Scottish football.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
What prompted him is the fans, who wanted to splash the cash and make a big signing.

But although a very good footballer, he was completely unsuited to our style of play. Fallon at the time was better suited to Sturrock's style of play.

Happy he is doing well for St Johnstone though. Good luck to him.

Also Motherwell have 4 ex Argyle, and Keith Lasley is there as a coach too. I think they are my second team now. :)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
My opinion is he was a very poor player.

Didn't rate him one bit and he disrespected this club and its fans.

Couldn't care less about the bloke.

Oct 24, 2010
MacLean was a huge waste of money, with his wages and transfer fee he must have cost the club around £1m and contributed little. He was good on the ball, could pass and was undoubtedly a talent but he must be the most "un Luggy" type striker one could imagine and I've no earthly idea why Sturrock signed him, he was never a big strong battling target man in the Trigger mould and he didn't have the pace to run the channels. He had a lot of good qualities which have served other clubs well but he was a very poor fit for Sturrock's Argyle.

Nov 9, 2008
Given that Stapleton wouldn't give Holloway 200k to sign Charlie Adam, which might have been what we needed for him to take us to the promised land, but then did give Luggy 500k to sign MacLean, he'll always have a dark cloud over him for me.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Charlie Adam was seen by Luggy, a deal was agreed and it was Luggy who backed out at the last minute, saying he didn't like his body shape.

Luggy even went and met with CA's parents.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Maclean never fitted in on the pitch.
It didn’t work out, simple as that.

It didn’t work for a lot of players.

He was treated harshly though by the fans and was made a scapegoat.

He did a lot behind the scenes at the club with the youth teams etc that he never got any credit for. He also got on with his teammates.

I’m glad he’s done alright.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
gaspargomez":cgf3p6za said:
IJN":cgf3p6za said:
Charlie Adam was seen by Luggy, a deal was agreed and it was Luggy who backed out at the last minute, saying he didn't like his body shape.

Is that so ?

That does seem strange.

After all, Luggys body shape isn't too dissimilar.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Thomas Edwards":2jwzgykl said:
gaspargomez":2jwzgykl said:
IJN":2jwzgykl said:

Is that so ?

That does seem strange.

Why is that strange? Luggy wasn't scheduled to be playing 46 games a season. (Apologies if that was an attempt at humour)

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
memory man":39byffbl said:
Thomas Edwards":39byffbl said:
gaspargomez":39byffbl said:
IJN":39byffbl said:

Is that so ?

That does seem strange.

Why is that strange? Luggy wasn't scheduled to be playing 46 games a season. (Apologies if that was an attempt at humour)

There was something on here around the time that Argyle were looking at Charlie Adam and Alan Gow and opted for Gow. May of been PASOTI fact but it always stuck in my mind when seeing the direction both's careers went in after their moves from Scotland.