Best 3 games not involving Argyle. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Best 3 games not involving Argyle.

One of my grandsons asked me if I ever watched any games not involving Argyle, which led to a discussion on the best ones, excluding internationals. I ended up with a top three of

The Torquay game (can’t remember which year) which Torquay had to win to stay up, and they won in injury time after an incident on the pitch involving a police dog. Great drama.
Ipswich v Liverpool cup game the Saturday after John Lennon was shot. Very emotional travelling kop singing all his songs and an amazing game involving Keegan and Toshack.
Early 80s cup final, Arsenal 3, Man U 2. One of the most open cup finals ever where I accompanied some grief stricken MU mates, thoroughly enjoying being a neutral.

What’s yours?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
mervyn":1nsb1kys said:
One of my grandsons asked me if I ever watched any games not involving Argyle, which led to a discussion on the best ones, excluding internationals. I ended up with a top three of

The Torquay game (can’t remember which year) which Torquay had to win to stay up, and they won in injury time after an incident on the pitch involving a police dog. Great drama.
Ipswich v Liverpool cup game the Saturday after John Lennon was shot. Very emotional travelling kop singing all his songs and an amazing game involving Keegan and Toshack.
Early 80s cup final, Arsenal 3, Man U 2. One of the most open cup finals ever where I accompanied some grief stricken MU mates, thoroughly enjoying being a neutral.

What’s yours?
It was 1987. The player who was bit by the dog has a son Rob who now works for Argyle. The team that went down instead of them was Lincoln, who are now trying to get past Exeter in the play offs.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
(1) 1966 semi-final England v Portugal - Eusebio gave the best individual performance I had ever seen - until ..............
(2) 08 September 1990 Tottenham 3 v Derby 0 Gazza scored a hat-trick (against Peter Shilton). Gascoigne was amazing that day and I don't think it is possible he ever played better. At one stage he had the ball at his feet near the touchline, was holding opponents off while having an argument with a policeman about swearing!
(3) 12 May 2004 - 3-3 draw between Paul Sturrock's Southampton and Newcastle. There was a young lad called Folly playing for Saints and I really thought he would go on to be a great player. On the other hand Newcastle had a centre half called Titus Bramble and I wondered how on earth he ever got a break in the professional game!

C

Cult Of Personality

1996 England 4 Netherlands 1 . 8 years old and it was the most magical night of football i have ever seen . Football was truly coming home that night. Felt like you was walking on air when you left Wembley

2016 England 2 Wales 1. In france for the euros England awful in the 1st half and Bale scored a free kick that Hart should have saved. Cue an England comeback in the 2nd half with Daniel Sturridge scoring a winner in the last minute to break Welsh hearts. Trust me coming out that stadium england fans were on cloud nine and the welsh were crestfallen

2004 England 4 Croatia 2 . Wayne Rooney became a superstar . Everytime he got the ball you thought something was going to happen. England smashed a very good Croatia team and again you walked out the stadium thinking we got a chance to go all the way at the euros

lien60

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
Barcelona v sampdoria old European cup final played at Wembley early 90’s I think

Jun 2, 2016
Liverpool v Ipswich, around 1980 / 81. 1-1 score, Ipswich were as good as Liverpool at the time.
Dalglish getting player of the year award. The old Kop.
For a 10 year old it was quite something.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
March 1971 Chelsea 4 Bruges 0 QF Cup Winners Cup( aet: FT=2-0) A thrilling, pulsating evening, in which two Peters: Houseman & Osgood were at their best. An opening goal by PH reduced the aggregate to 1-2 & about 8 mins before FT PH crossed for P.O. to equalise on agg. PO & Tommy Baldwin scored in extra time to make it 4-2 & a S/F against Man City.
Very different in those days: a bunch of us students just turned up, paid on the gate & stood in a packed Shed End. Well before Chelsea’s “ glamour days”, prior to their first ever FA Cup win in 1970 there had even been a popular song about their never having won the Cup

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Liverpool coming from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan on penalties in a game named as the Miracle of Istanbul.

Wales 1 v England 0 at Wrexham 1984. The last time Wales beat England.

Some time in the 60s Caernarfon Town played Man City in a friendly. As a young lad I was in awe of the superstars.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
landons forehead":2jg9qwq1 said:
Division One (now Championship) playoff final 1997/98. 3-3 full time, 4-4 full time, and then pennos. Boom.

That one also for me L’s F; speaking briefly with Peter Reid when he met the PASALB London fans in Feb 2011 the night before the Brentford match, he was talking about that & clearly still “ hurt badly”. What a match! I’m told that Michael Gray took a long time, if ever, to get over that penalty miss.

Newcastle 2-0 Portsmouth in 2005/06 season. Memorable for Alan Shearer breaking Jackie Milburn's club goal-scoring record. I went with a mate who was at Durham University, and we snagged tickets in the top tier as the Newcastle fans were disillusioned with the club's management (nothing changes!) Just before Shearer scored, the bloke next to me went for a pee. A very shocked face in response I gave to his question of "Did I miss anything?"

Histon 1-6 Grimsby in 2010/11 season. Memorable not only for the amount of goals, but the size of Grimsby's away support. Histon had initially opened up a quarter of the ground, and I think ended up opening about three-quarters for Grimsby's fans, who just kept flooding in. Think the poor guy serving chips was just dishing out raw potatoes by the end as he couldn't keep up.

Liverpool 5-0 Swansea in 2012/13 season. Same friend who was at Durham's a big Liverpool fan and we managed to get corporate seats for the match. Nice meal, chat with David Fairclough, and Philippe Coutinho's home debut. I remember thinking that on first sight, he looked a bit lightweight and thought he'd struggle in the Premiership. How wrong I was. Remarkable too how hard Luis Suarez worked. He was being criticised a lot at that time but I've not seen many players put in the effort he did over those 90 minutes.

M

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
1) I was at Old Trafford for Man U 1 Man City 6, sat in the Stretford End, we'd bought tickets for my granddad's 70th as he likes Man Utd as well as Argyle, wasn't the best present we ever got him but it was definitely a 'I was there' day.

2) Bristol City 0 Middlesbrough 4 (2011) - my best mate is a boro fan, we went up to Ashton Gate with Boro struggling at the wrong end of the table to see them hammer Bristol City, personal highlight was David James getting sent off and watching all of the gobby Bristol City fans walk out looking rather dejected.

3) England 2 Holland 3 (2012) - Stuart Pearce was caretaker after Capello had walked out and all was optimistic (we didn't know Hodgson was coming), England were 2-0 down, got back to 2-2 in injury time only for Arjen Robben to nick a winner in something like the 95th minute. I also got myself interviewed on Sky Sports News that day!

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Ray_Stidwell":16qepx4t said:
landons forehead":16qepx4t said:
Division One (now Championship) playoff final 1997/98. 3-3 full time, 4-4 full time, and then pennos. Boom.

That one also for me L’s F; speaking briefly with Peter Reid when he met the PASALB London fans in Feb 2011 the night before the Brentford match, he was talking about that & clearly still “ hurt badly”. What a match! I’m told that Michael Gray took a long time, if ever, to get over that penalty miss.
Mrs C still loves Micky Gray. We hadn't been together long at the time and I had said to her on the way to the pub that I was looking forward to a good 5-4 for the neutral resulting in her snarling something on the subject when the equaliser went in for 4-4. I still blame Perez rather than Gray; his ability to flap at crosses was remarkable.

To answer the original question, I saw Sunderland lead Man Utd in their pomp with Beckham et al 2-0 after about 15 minutes which had the home fans around us looking as bemused as I was. Sadly, it ended 2-2.

Their come back for a point at Ashton Gate a couple of months ago from 3-0 down with 20 mins to go was pretty entertaining too.

I'm struggling for a third that I have watched live but will never forget Arbroath and Dundee United running out for a pre-season friendly in 2002 to chorus of "you'll never come to Plymouth".