No Real Attempt To Keep Purrington | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

No Real Attempt To Keep Purrington

T

The Grumpy Loyal

I guess any apologist for the move will say "well he wanted to go".

You have to look at the real reason he wanted to go. It's so depressing when the club shows no ambition to even attempt to keep a player who'll be playing against us next year in the same division. You can tell from the tone that if Argyle had shown a smidgen of ambition to keep him rather than grab a few hundred grand, he'd have wanted to stay.

Depressing.

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/i-know-we ... KmQKWfF.99

G

Greenskin

Never did believe the stuff about "the club had no choice, the player wanted to go yada yada dada". Exactly the same with Norris's strike threat, Hourihane's girlfriend etc etc. No doubt the argument will be put forward that it was a good deal for the club but that is a separate issue-point is that the deal was put forward as an inevitability when looking at Purrington's words, it plainly was not.

Mar 8, 2016
Ben had made his mind up regardless, he says himself that playing in the championship was to good a chance to turn down. Plus as said before we can't match the wages unfortunately. Also I think argyle were happy to take the money on offer hence the apparent lack of trying to persuade him. What ever the reason he's gone.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Kentishgreen":38ph2um4 said:
How does a League Two club compete with a Championship club when it comes to wages?

To state the obvious, again, we'll be in the same league next year almost certainly. Our crowds are almost identical, and the 7 figure FA Cup money we've had goes a massive way to evening out TV revenue.

But you are still missing the point, which is of course when the lad himself says there was no attempt to persuade him he could have a brighter future at Plymouth rather than Rotherham.

G

Greenskin

Kentishgreen":3ouv1mkj said:
How does a League Two club compete with a Championship club when it comes to wages?

Fairly obviously, Argyle didn't need to compete with a championship club because Purrington was under contract and there was no obligation to sell him.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
"But you can't turn down a chance to play in the Championship, even if it's only for six months.

"If you didn't take it, you might end up looking back and saying 'Why did I do that?'

There you go, that's why he left. Why would the club 'compete'. What they supposed to do? Pay him Championship wages in Div 2?

He wanted to leave, we have Sawyer, Rotherham have £300k to throw at us.

Good deal.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Pogleswoody":1ldt1if0 said:
"But you can't turn down a chance to play in the Championship, even if it's only for six months.

"If you didn't take it, you might end up looking back and saying 'Why did I do that?'

There you go, that's why he left. Why would the club 'compete'. What they supposed to do? Pay him Championship wages in Div 2?

Good deal.

And Argyle have prevented acrimony within the team by paying premium wages to a player of minimum experience as compared to the other older more experienced team players who are presently quite happy with their own contracted salaries

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":38cflm7r said:

Good deal.

Because we should be making an effort to keep our best players, especially ones who have potential. "We have Sawyer" won't be much use in League One next year.

I dont imagine BP would have stayed even if we did improve his deal, but competing for him to do so is a minimum for me.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
"Championship wages" is a bit misleading as Rotherham struggle to compete with wages of most teams in the division. Especially with where they are currently in the league I'd be surprised if they offered players Championship wages when they looked so nailed on to be relegated.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I was impressed with Purrington's form since he replaced Sawyer.

However, Derek Adams made a judgement call. I believe that the Board supported their manager's judgement.

Time will tell whether he was right or wrong.

G

Greenskin

davie nine":kjlxepis said:
I was impressed with Purrington's form since he replaced Sawyer.

However, Derek Adams made a judgement call. I believe that the Board supported their manager's judgement.

Time will tell whether he was right or wrong.

What makes you so sure that it was Derek Adams who made the final decision to sell Purrington?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Right this is probably how it would have worked.

Derek we've had a bid for £300k for BP, what do you reckon, should we take that?

Yes we should, we can do without him and he has voiced his option about not wanting to sign another contract.

OK thanks we'll move on that then.

Who's 'final decision' was it Greenskin?

We have a near troll as the OP and someone with 'Brent Out' backing him up. :lol:

People will make their own minds up I'm sure.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Then of course you have someone who owns this site and sits in the Directors Box backing up the decision to sell. :lol:

The irony is obviously lost on you, Ian.