East end | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

East end

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Firstly, I love the remodel and think it’s bringing Home Park bang up to date.

But I still get aggravated looking at the east end of the grandstand. For me it’s such a shame the stand doesn’t stretch to the Barn Park goal line which would certainly balance up the aesthetics. I’d have liked to have seen the extension of the cover even if there wasn’t an extension of the seats. The gap left could have been used to accommodate the control room above the entrance and made a more utility area. Maybe at the back of the east end grandstand could eventually be used as a scoreboard screen. At least then all the seats in thegrandstand could be utilised.
The west end could then be tidied and perhaps have a fill in to match up the grandstand to the Demport in the hope that’s at some point safe standing could be incorporated in that corner.

Once again, it’s not a gripe about the rebuild just that it is one of my bugbears.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I do agree, but the plan... whether you think it’s going to happen or not, but it is the plan... is exactly what you said, to extend the roof right around to the corner but not the seats.

Definitely agree on the scoreboard, surely that would fill the space perfectly.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
We are lucky to have the funding to undertake the Grandstand refurbishment and it will be good to finally get back to a 4-sided stadium after all this time.

However, there will be a lot more gaps on the other three sides and we would probably need a crowd of at least 12000 to create a good atmosphere with all 4 sides in use. Let's hope that we are doing well enough next season to attract such gates.

The redevelopment is being done on a budget so there were decisions to be made regarding priorities.

Unfortunately, it wasn't deemed a priority to complete the build of the original structure and we will be left with a lop-sided structure which compromises the aesthetic appearance, as stated in the OP. There will also be a large number of seats with a restricted view.

Even if the seats weren't installed, the new roof could have been extended to reach the Barn Park End and the seats put in when funds were available. This is what happened at the other end of the Grandstand, where the final block of seats at the Devonport End were not actually fitted until the mid-seventies.

The Grandstand is a perfect height to watch football and we should maximise the amount of seating available in the hope and expectation that it will be needed. The seating should extend from end to end.

If Phase 2 ever happens we certainly don't need Contol Boxes or Studios stuck on the end of the existing seats just to fill up the space and there most definitely shouldn't be a Big Screen which would look completely out of place and would only be fully viewable from the Lyndhurst anyway.

Big Screens belong either above the goal or in opposite corners of the ground.