ANALYSIS - Who is Better: Macey or Letheren? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

ANALYSIS - Who is Better: Macey or Letheren?

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Who is Better: Matt Macey or Kyle Letheren?

Macey, derided ever since results turned around following his departure from the team, starred in the second-half, making the kinds of saves that have helped his competitor earn regular acclaim.

Therefore, with his performance having has injected nuance into a previously polarised debate, now is the perfect time to ask the question – who is better: Matt Macey or Kyle Letheren?

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Really interesting. So they are both poor keepers, but Macey is far superior.

Next season agreed, we should let both of them go, and sign another Keeper, and then Cooper can be the back up.

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
r4h4al":2gcr4k3v said:

Didn't say far superior. It really comes down to how you rank the skills of a goalkeeper. As per the analysis, Macey is far better at dealing with crosses, slightly better distribution, but slightly worse at stopping shots. They both appear to be bad communicators, but that is very hard to accurately judge.

So, would you rather Macey, who will save slightly fewer shots but deal with crosses much better and offer a bit more kicking accuracy, or Letheren who might keep out the odd shot, but allow more in from crosses.

Depends on how you balance the importance of the skills. I err towards Macey, but would not hesitate to bring in a better player in the summer unless either of them offer some levels of improvement before the end of the season.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
NickSS":4w6g5gjt said:
r4h4al":4w6g5gjt said:

Didn't say far superior. It really comes down to how you rank the skills of a goalkeeper. As per the analysis, Macey is far better at dealing with crosses, slightly better distribution, but slightly worse at stopping shots. They both appear to be bad communicators, but that is very hard to accurately judge.

So, would you rather Macey, who will save slightly fewer shots but deal with crosses much better and offer a bit more kicking accuracy, or Letheren who might keep out the odd shot, but allow more in from crosses.

Depends on how you balance the importance of the skills. I err towards Macey, but would not hesitate to bring in a better player in the summer unless either of them offer some levels of improvement before the end of the season.
I think after after the Luton game Macey deserves to keep his spot. I think one of his weaknesses was saving angled shots before but maybe he has improved on that now.

Oct 19, 2013
essentially think Macey is more talented and has more tools at his disposal; he frustrates people more because of a perception he doesn’t make the most of them.
He also makes saves Letheren can’t. Letheren could not have made the top onto the bar v Luton; he couldn’t even have reached it.

Interesting analysis as always - thanks!