Making Home Park 'greener'. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Making Home Park 'greener'.

Feb 18, 2013
Plymouth
I was talking to a friend in work yesterday and he told me that on his recent trip to Barcelona, he went on a tour of Camp Nou. Whilst there he said that they have an exhibit all about their own redevelopment plans for the stadium and surrounding areas. It's all very impressive (especially at the low-low cost of £370m). In the plans, it shows that they are going to incorporate Solar Panels on the roof as well as a Water Collection System.

While I appreciate that our own development significantly dwarves that of the 'Espai Barca' development, it did get me thinking if it would be possible to incorporate such projects for our own stadium, albeit on a smaller scale?

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any other stadiums in this country that have such things in place. It would make HP unique in this sense and in the long-run, if it could be incorporated to a scale whereas to make HP almost entirely self-sufficient, would benefit the club.

Thoughts?

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/facilities/espai-barca (For those interested in the 'Espai Barca' development)

**MODS - SORRY IF THIS ISN'T IN THE RIGHT FORUM. I THOUGHT THIS FORUM WAS MOST FITTING FOR IT**

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think solar panels on the grandstand roof and maybe some sort or small scale wind turbine/s would be really beneficial medium term to generate some of our own power source.

Ideal given the amount of sunlight and wind we could utilise from our location.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I wouldn't have thought the Grandstand roof would be much use for solar panels - the majority of it faces North North-east

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
InterYerMam":2eya7410 said:
As far as I'm aware, there aren't any other stadiums in this country that have such things in place.

Forest Green Rovers claim their stadium is carbon neutral and generates its own electricity.

Feb 18, 2013
Plymouth
Argylegames":2a484uj2 said:
InterYerMam":2a484uj2 said:
As far as I'm aware, there aren't any other stadiums in this country that have such things in place.

Forest Green Rovers claim their stadium is carbon neutral and generates its own electricity.

Aren't they due to move to an all new wooden ( :shock: ) stadium soon?

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Argylegames":3kyr2406 said:
I wouldn't have thought the Grandstand roof would be much use for solar panels - the majority of it faces North North-east

Could mount them at an angle, don't necessarily need to lay flat on the roof.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Willis88":yw6eeb6s said:
Argylegames":yw6eeb6s said:

Could mount them at an angle, don't necessarily need to lay flat on the roof.

I think it is more important to consider the orientation of the back rather than the front. Does it not face SSE? I write as a householder with panels on the rear of a mansard roof facing due east.

tonsk

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
I believe this was asked of the board before and the reply was something along the lines of - not cost effective.

tonsk

May 16, 2016
Not sure of its environmental impact, but earlier today I drove past the Aldi (or Lidl) at the bottom of Union Street. I'd forgotten they have 'living walls' on them. Vertical garden thingys. Probably not much of a money saver but would certainly project a greener image.

Feb 18, 2013
Plymouth
tonsk":3fmvid0h said:
I believe this was asked of the board before and the reply was something along the lines of - not cost effective.

tonsk

Perhaps not immediately, but surely in the long run, they would pay for themselves? Someone told me once that on average, a home that has Solar Panels installed will begin to reap the rewards (financially) of the install after a decade? While I understand that HP isn't a home and this figure will vary when applied to a sporting arena, ten/fifteen years is a small amount of time when you consider that a lot of clubs in the league now have been in existence for well over a century.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
InterYerMam":1cyackqx said:
tonsk":1cyackqx said:

tonsk

Perhaps not immediately, but surely in the long run, they would pay for themselves? Someone told me once that on average, a home that has Solar Panels installed will begin to reap the rewards (financially) of the install after a decade? While I understand that HP isn't a home and this figure will vary when applied to a sporting arena, ten/fifteen years is a small amount of time when you consider that a lot of clubs in the league now have been in existence for well over a century.

The latest Feed in Tariff is now drastically reduced from when I first installed panels on my roof. I am now receiving 54p per kwh, but I think the latest FIT is less than 10p per kwh. I accept the cost of panels have now reduced significantly but the financial benefit has dropped. I am sure Argyle's arcitects have done their maths

C

CiderAndPasties

InterYerMam":shzo209i said:
Argylegames":shzo209i said:
InterYerMam":shzo209i said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but after the Bradford City disaster, I thought wooden stands/grounds were no longer allowed?

Feb 18, 2013
Plymouth
CiderAndPasties":21y998t3 said:
InterYerMam":21y998t3 said:
Argylegames":21y998t3 said:
InterYerMam":21y998t3 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but after the Bradford City disaster, I thought wooden stands/grounds were no longer allowed?

Seemingly not. I guess no-one other than F.G.R think it's worth the risk?

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/18/foot ... index.html

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
With modern wood treatments and the smoking ban I guess it is less of a risk.

Remember that the main problem at Bradford was the years of accumulated rubbish under the stand which wasn't cleared and the fact that the stand was open allowing the rubbish and burning fag-ends to drop down. The film of the fire is still used in fire-marshal training to this day.