The new grandstand | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The new grandstand

Apr 13, 2006
Plymouth
After posting a few thoughts on Pasoti and another discussion site, I get the impression naming the new stand after JB may be a tad over the top.
But a suggestion that emerged from the discussion is the
Mayflower Anniversary Stand
This ties in nicely with the Pilgrims side of Argyle and should be completed in time for 400th year Mayflower celebrations.

How does this sit with other supporters.

Feb 28, 2016
Not for me, the Lower tier should be called the Mayflower enclosure with the upper tier referred to as The Grandstand.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I'd much rather we get all four ends sponsored and get money to help either increase the playing budget or improve infrastructure further. The name of the stands doesn't really matter, and they'll still be known by their old names to fans anyway.

Jul 29, 2010
MarkMatthews":2e6e8vs8 said:
Not for me, the Lower tier should be called the Mayflower enclosure with the upper tier referred to as The Grandstand.
Yuuup.

If a sponsor wants to pay flippin gert wads of cash to have it named after their product then take the cash and the club can call it whatever the hell they like.

The fans will of course take absolutely no notice, we'll always call it the Mayflower and the Grandstand anyway :cool:

Now, off to the development board with this thread :wave:

Edit - beat me to it Argy1e.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Argy1e":179h1mk9 said:
I'd much rather we get all four ends sponsored and get money to help either increase the playing budget or improve infrastructure further. The name of the stands doesn't really matter, and they'll still be known by their old names to fans anyway.

Sorry, I see this argument all the time and I hate it.

Shall we just rename the club as well, because everyone will just call it Argyle anyway? It seems like before long, your football club will solely exist in your memory as the real bits are gradually chipped away.

Birmingham fans call their ground St Andrews, but you surrender a significant amount of dignity and class when everyone else is forced to call it the Trillion Trophy Stadium for a few extra quid. The individual stands aren't the worst thing, but I heartily disagree with the general argument that renaming things doesn't matter. Ironically, businessman James Brent was also of the view that the names 'Home Park' and 'Mayflower' should remain sacrosanct.

And it's ridiculous to call the lower tier one thing, and the top tier another. It's going to have one name and it's going to be the Mayflower :thumbup:. Mark, do you want ANYTHING to change? :wink:

Jul 29, 2010
Biggs":3r8w2mdy said:
Argy1e":3r8w2mdy said:

Sorry, I see this argument all the time and I hate it.

Shall we just rename the club as well, because everyone will just call it Argyle anyway? It seems like before long, your football club will solely exist in your memory as the real bits are gradually chipped away.

Birmingham fans call their ground St Andrews, but you surrender a significant amount of dignity and class when everyone else is forced to call it the Trillion Trophy Stadium for a few extra quid. The individual stands aren't the worst thing, but I heartily disagree with the general argument that renaming things doesn't matter. Ironically, businessman James Brent was also of the view that the names 'Home Park' and 'Mayflower' should remain sacrosanct.

And it's ridiculous to call the lower tier one thing, and the top tier another. It's going to have one name and it's going to be the Mayflower :thumbup:. Mark, do you want ANYTHING to change? :wink:
A club, to me anyway, is it's fans, location, name and colours. In that order. These are universal fundamentals, you simply don't mess with ANY of that.

There are other, lesser, things that should only be messed with at the messers peril. These vary club to club but for us i'd say badge, ground, nickname and Semper. Plenty of clubs have tinkered with these without huge disruption.

After that pretty much all else is sufficiently peripheral enough to consider change, especially if the generation of cash for the club can be achieved in so doing. A stand?, a ground name even? meh, give us tens or hundreds of thousands of quid and you can call it whatever you like. I won't call it anything different and neither will any other fan so what harm is caused?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
X Isle":2tdckzq3 said:
After that pretty much all else is sufficiently peripheral enough to consider change, especially if the generation of cash for the club can be achieved in so doing. A stand?, a ground name even? meh, give us tens or hundreds of thousands of quid and you can call it whatever you like. I won't call it anything different and neither will any other fan so what harm is caused?

It's about image. A huge part of being a football fan is projecting the image of your club and where you're from, onto the rest of the country and the world. That can be wearing your Argyle shirt on holiday or milking a win at work on Monday. Hell, if it doesn't matter what the rest of the world thinks about PAFC, then why do we even care what league we're in or how the grandstand looks?

I may call it Home Park no matter what, but there's something lost if Jeff Stelling ever says 'over to TheRange.com Arena'. You instantly become small-time and desperate, especially as the figures for ground sponsorship at this level are pretty low.

We all have different opinions though, you'd probably be equally horrified that I wouldn't mind changing the badge :lol:

A

andyr1963

X Isle":x77df2i1 said:
MarkMatthews":x77df2i1 said:
Yuuup.

If a sponsor wants to pay flippin gert wads of cash to have it named after their product then take the cash and the club can call it whatever the hell they like.

The fans will of course take absolutely no notice, we'll always call it the Mayflower and the Grandstand anyway :cool:

Now, off to the development board with this thread :wave:

Edit - beat me to it Argy1e.

Mayflower and Grandstand :thumbs:

Way back in the mists of time A C Ballard was a part of Backroom / Boardroom Argyle possibly President? Philanthropist of Plymouth, had the swimming baths in town (demolished 20 years ago) named after him.

Name the ice rink after James Brent? Could be a little more permanent than naming a stand after him.

Aug 5, 2005
It's going to be the Mayflower Grandstand (not Mayflower AND Grandstand) for the 2020 celebrations. After that, let's see what offers we get for naming rights

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
andyr1963":1j53tyrx said:
Way back in the mists of time A C Ballard was a part of Backroom / Boardroom Argyle possibly President? Philanthropist of Plymouth, had the swimming baths in town (demolished 20 years ago) named after him.

Not so much named after him, but so named because he built them I always believed. Learnt to swim there.

Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
The Ginsters Stand proper cornish init lol

Should be left alone in my opinion. Always been the mayflower thats our history. We should not throw it away for some extra cash.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
tonycrowuk":1q6f6lck said:

Should be left alone in my opinion. Always been the mayflower thats our history. We should not throw it away for some extra cash.
Don't moan if we get relegated or miss out on play-offs against sides who have sponsored stands/grounds then. The money they raise is substantial and can help with recruitment and opinions like yours there hold the club back.

Argy1e":6fxf79dy said:
tonycrowuk":6fxf79dy said:

Don't moan if we get relegated or miss out on play-offs against sides who have sponsored stands/grounds then. The money they raise is substantial and can help with recruitment and opinions like yours there hold the club back.

Out of interest, how much are stand/ground naming rights worth at our level? I have no idea, but I can't believe it would be much different to say a thousand more on the attendance every week.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think it’ll be one name, the ‘Mayflower Grandstand’