The new era | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The new era

Jul 14, 2008
Thought it was best to leave the other thread as a well deserved tribute to James Brent. The statement from Argyle raises a number of questions which I guess will be answered over the coming days, namely:

- what is the extra £3.25m covering precisely? It mentions increased Grandstand costs, is that the roof? Will there be any change to the redevelopment proposals for the stand itself (seems unlikely given the contract was signed last week)
- will the plan to build the corners be implemented now or is there not the funding for that?
- is the benefit to the club of owning the HHP land seen as a very long term asset should the club ever wish to completely rebuild the Grandstand to something much bigger well in the future?
- what are the other costs referred to in the statement?
- where will the ice arena now be built? I don’t understand where it could go closer to the Life Centre.
- presumably it will be a case of business as usual with the club only spending what it can afford to spend to avoid unsustainable debt.

Interesting times!

Apr 30, 2011
I assume that some of the 3.25m will be spend on buying the spare HHP plot of land?

That money appears to have gone through the club so the plot is an asset of PAFC rather than being separated. The question I have is how this will generate I come for the club? I could well be missing something but unless it is developed, the club can't gain an income from an empty plot of land?

Aug 3, 2017
Sadly Kentish that will always be the case. However, it would seem to be frivolous to waste more money tweaking the plans now, Herts.

I’m interested as to what that values the club at. I mean his £8.75m to date has not all been towards shares.

I think Hallett will go one of two ways with the club. It’s either an investment opportunity or it’s a foible for him in his later life. Either way, so long as he ensures club stability and longevity I shall be content. I doubt JB would allow the club to go to a wreckless individual so here is hoping for some much continued stability and growth.

Felwick, probably a sensible appointment. His pedigree is, on paper, there for all to see and he has a very good working knowledge of the club.

Plymouth Argyle and the Mayflower 2020 celebrations will be of particular interest now. I’d love to see how the club are represented on the US side of the pond...will the club be able to pull through with a football tournament for the event? I would be looking at a mini women’s or U23 event of England, Holland and USA because of their history with the event. I can dream I guess.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Simon Hallett (and his wife Jane) have already put in quite a few million into the club.. would anyone have any thoughts to whether it is likely that our investment into the playing budget will increase or stay the same now that SH is majority shareholder.?

JannerinCardiff":264mkadb said:
Simon Hallett (and his wife Jane) have already put in quite a few million into the club.. would anyone have any thoughts to whether it is likely that our investment into the playing budget will increase or stay the same now that SH is majority shareholder.?

Why would the budget change with the window closed? I daresay that if there is a need in January then money would be made available however but thats probably true whoever is in control.

I think its clear there was a danger of the grandstand refurb stalling completely and this money will shore that position up whilst at the same time purchasing important land. Who knows, maybe the corners are more of a reality now, and ultimately even a new build stand?

TJH

Feb 1, 2018
It certainly raises a lot of questions about the development. Hope to find some answers soon

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
TJH":ba7snnpj said:
It certainly raises a lot of questions about the development. Hope to find some answers soon

Not really - the build contract was only signed last week.

It's happening as is - not sure why people think it wouldn't be.

We may be fortunate and get the corners completed sooner than expected but that is probably unlikely.

The herald mentioned that the extra 3.5 mil Hallett is investing included £1 mil towards a new roof. That can't be the roof extension over the whole of the mayflower terrace can it because that is dependent on the corners being built isn't it?

If not then it seems strange this wasn't budgeted for in the initial plans.

Time will tell I guess. It's intriguing what has happened, but to me it appears Brent has stood aside as his HHP development plans were either unworkable or holding the grandstand back.

Interesting and exciting times.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Stuart House":2qhnaqp3 said:
TJH":2qhnaqp3 said:

Not really - the build contract was only signed last week.

It's happening as is - not sure why people think it wouldn't be.

We may be fortunate and get the corners completed sooner than expected but that is probably unlikely.

Exactly. The signing of the contract with GL Events, the allotment of shares and JB standing down all within one week was a planned move by the directors. The refurbishment of the grandstand will continue as planned.

The future will now look different. What happens in a year or three, will we have a new chairman or directors or will there be a takeover? Simon Hallett is an Argyle fan so like JB will have the best interests of the club at heart.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The only thing I would say - and it isn't a criticism - is that I perceive Simon Hallett to be slightly more excitable and passionate than JB.

I could be completely wrong there, but hopefully we see the same level of patience and common sense. Again, I'm delighted that James remains on the board to provide that balance.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
One small point I would add is that the additional funds the Hallets are putting in are via increasing their equity stake and not by further loans, which remain at £4.1 million.

That I think should not be underestimated.

Aaron quoted the Herald:

"The herald mentioned that the extra 3.5 mil Hallett is investing included £1 mil towards a new roof."

I think the additional funds come to £3.25 million. But if £1 million is to cover the roof, what happened to the unbudgetted income originally earmarked?

Still, I am sure we will now be on the move towards finishing the refurbishment of the Grandstand. Although don't look at the webcams!

TJH

Feb 1, 2018
I didn’t say development would stop. I’m referring to the ice rink and other developments. Not clear what’s happening here, why or what the new longer term plan is.

Without any detail there are some saying that the HHP purchase is a good thing. Does that mean the previous plans were a bad thing? Already speculation about phase 2 being brought forward. More detail required

May 16, 2016
Much was said about aligning the Grandstand refurb and other HP area works with the 2020 Celebrations. Has anything ever been said about what happens after that ?

The World Cup bid style shenanigans will hopefully be avoided.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Would any of the money paid for JB’s shares result in a payout for JB himself?

I appreciate he’ll remain a shareholder to a lesser degree but wouldn’t he be entitled to a payout especially if the HHP car park is being purchased back by the club.