Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Signed and sealed The Grandstand contract has been signe
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 pm 

Wow, Grumps, you think Brent's time at PAFC is "humdrum mediocrity"?

It's worse than I thought, Sister, get him into the operating theatre immediately!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 pm 

I think GL is winning - I’m starting to lose the will to live

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:27 pm 

Until a new investor turns up, which the new facilities will help, I don't see how supporting the current regime is settling for mediocrity.

Brent knows that he doesnt have the funds for the Championship and will have to stand aside sometime. The Halletts know this as well- don't forget their loan will build the new facilities and will increase the value of their shareholding in the end. But attacking the Chairman (as other do elsewhere) will not help the search for new money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:23 am 

Clearly the millions of Janners who I’ve seen pass through the gates of Home Park over the last 50 years have always had it wrong. I think there is a Janner mentality at work here and in my view it is expressed by the constant stream of negativity and hostility that some people appear to revel in.

That we have not achieved more is nothing to do with the people. It’s to do with the fact that there is no real money in the Westcountry. Millionaires don’t grow on trees down here and multi millionaires with tens of millions to throw around simply do not exist. They never have and never will.
Unless of course a Russian moneylaunderer or a Thai crook takes an interest in us - heaven forbid.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 am 

Quizmike wrote:
Until a new investor turns up, which the new facilities will help, I don't see how supporting the current regime is settling for mediocrity.

Brent knows that he doesnt have the funds for the Championship and will have to stand aside sometime. The Halletts know this as well- don't forget their loan will build the new facilities and will increase the value of their shareholding in the end. But attacking the Chairman (as other do elsewhere) will not help the search for new money.

Fair points Mike. But there was a very telling phrase that Brent used many years ago that he in no way was looking for “walleted Directors” to join him in the Boardroom. Now this was prior to the HHP1 shambles all falling apart. It couldn’t have been made any clearer at the time ( and indeed started my alarm bells ringing) that Brent was wanting any development profits to be solely an Akkeron benefit. In layman’s terms, if there was booty to be made, he wanted it. He wanted to keep the overwhelming majority shareholding in the club.

Since then his personal situation has changed. His hotel portfolio has been largely reduced. He’s had the Oldway Mansion fiasco. The Civic Centre redevelopment which was handed to him on a silver platter by the Council, he’s had to hand back because he simply couldn’t do it. In short, he’s a poor poor developer. Which is why the only reason the refurb is happening is because his hand has been forced to dilute his shareholding and bring the Halletts onboard - a very welcome addition in my book.

But as far as any ‘search for new money’ goes, as you put it, there has to be the WILL to search for it. Until that happens then Brent still clings to his marginal majority shareholding, and the club bumbles along with our financial realities masked hugely by the great job being done by Derek Adams.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am 

Grumpy, the flip side to that lack of investment argument is that JB has ALWAYS said that the best and most sustainable way forward for PAFC is to make its own money and not rely on a sugar daddy.

I don’t know how you can say that’s not working, given the progress on and off the pitch. And it’s going to get better with the new grandstand facilities providing extra revenue streams.

As for Derek Adams ‘masking’ the financial realities... he was hired and kept on because his philosophies match the club’s. And he has signed a long term contract for the same reason. It’s not an accident.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:59 am 

The Grumpy Loyal wrote:
Quizmike wrote:

Fair points Mike. But there was a very telling phrase that Brent used many years ago that he in no way was looking for “walleted Directors” to join him in the Boardroom. Now this was prior to the HHP1 shambles all falling apart. It couldn’t have been made any clearer at the time ( and indeed started my alarm bells ringing) that Brent was wanting any development profits to be solely an Akkeron benefit. In layman’s terms, if there was booty to be made, he wanted it. He wanted to keep the overwhelming majority shareholding in the club.

Since then his personal situation has changed. His hotel portfolio has been largely reduced. He’s had the Oldway Mansion fiasco. The Civic Centre redevelopment which was handed to him on a silver platter by the Council, he’s had to hand back because he simply couldn’t do it. In short, he’s a poor poor developer. Which is why the only reason the refurb is happening is because his hand has been forced to dilute his shareholding and bring the Halletts onboard - a very welcome addition in my book.

But as far as any ‘search for new money’ goes, as you put it, there has to be the WILL to search for it. Until that happens then Brent still clings to his marginal majority shareholding, and the club bumbles along with our financial realities masked hugely by the great job being done by Derek Adams.

You do have an incredibly negative take on Mr Brent’s tenure. He has made it clear from the off that his financial input would be limited and the club would become self-sustaining and at the right time when the right person, or persons ,come along with the financial clout to take the club forward then he would step down. He has always made that clear. I don’t understand why you would have a problem with that.
Also this has been done to death on here so it’s amazing that you don’t understand the concept that the development profits which Akkeron hope to make from HHP is effectively funding for the rescue package when Mr Brent saved the club from liquidation. It is a shame that those profits are lost to the club but don’t blame Mr Brent, the fault lies with the previous board of Mr Stapleton and his friends.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 am 

esmer wrote:
The Grumpy Loyal wrote:
Quizmike wrote:

You do have an incredibly negative take on Mr Brent’s tenure. He has made it clear from the off that his financial input would be limited and the club would become self-sustaining and at the right time when the right person, or persons ,come along with the financial clout to take the club forward then he would step down. He has always made that clear. I don’t understand why you would have a problem with that.
Also this has been done to death on here so it’s amazing that you don’t understand the concept that the development profits which Akkeron hope to make from HHP is effectively funding for the rescue package when Mr Brent saved the club from liquidation. It is a shame that those profits are lost to the club but don’t blame Mr Brent, the fault lies with the previous board of Mr Stapleton and his friends.

You are right, Es, it was the previous board, but Stapleton was forced to stand down from his position, and it was Keith Todd and Sir Roy Gardener and Kagami were the instigators of the downfall by taking their eyes off the ball and with their speculation of the England World Cup bid.

Brent has said that the football club should be able to return to the Championship organically, but that he would be unable to take them further without extra outside investment, and that he would step down if a suitable person was found to be able to do so.

That doesn't mean that he WILL step down as soon as we get to the championship, it means that he would be willing to step down, if a suitable candidate would be forthcoming, that could provide the means for the club to step up to the next level.

If the past has any bearing on the future, then he could be with us for a very long time!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:18 am 
Site Admin

jimsing wrote:

It's worse than I thought, Sister, get him into the operating theatre immediately!!!

It beggars belief doesn't it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 am 

monkeywrench wrote:
jimsing wrote:

He’s like the kid who gets the brand new games console for Christmas that none of his friends have got yet but moans that he didn’t get a brand new TV to go with it. It’s not ambition he has its ungratefulness & the want for more, bigger, now without the means to pay for it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:46 pm 

esmer wrote:
The Grumpy Loyal wrote:
Quizmike wrote:

Some people have a take on a situation, and no matter how clearly the facts are staring them in the face, they can't bring themselves to admit they're wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:31 pm 

monkeywrench wrote:
jimsing wrote:

And here's another one that gets the bunting out.

Apparently, for Monkey, it beggars belief that Argyle competing in Division 3 isn't humdrum mediocrity.

Are we living the dream here, or am I living in some sort of parallel universe?

It beggars belief how low some peoples aspirations lay. Again, the Janner mentality lives strong!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 pm 

So you think we should just be elected to the Championship because that's where we were when all this crap started?

Get a grip mate - we are competing with other clubs with similar aspirations here - we have no automatic right to promotion, and we are getting better year on year for the past 7 years.

Perhaps you could provide us with some solutions as to where we are going wrong?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next