๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช
๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Who should be in and who not?

My pet 'hate' is Jordan Henderson (of course, he'll be in the squad), my fave outside bet is Ryan Sessegnon.

Anyway, for comparison, this is the 2014 squad which did so well :lol:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion)
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United)
Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)

We're better defensively now, and infinitely better up front. Midfield is the worry and perhaps keeper, as it was four years ago.

P

Peter

Wow, can't see many of them being in this squad. 7 tops, being generous to them. Henderson doesn't inspire me, but looking at that squad would be the one with the experience. Makes me think that Hart will get the nod over Pope to bench warm.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Apparently Joe Hart has been told he won't be a part of the squad.

Suppose that means it will be Butland, Pickford and Heaton/Pope.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Steve.PAFC2012":cdgpuufo said:
Apparently Joe Hart has been told he won't be a part of the squad.

Suppose that means it will be Butland, Pickford and Heaton/Pope.

I'd have taken Hart as 3rd choice behind Pickford and Butland, the 3rd choice keeper is very unlikely to play and he has good experience he can give to the others. If called upon Hart isn't exactly an awful keeper, I'd feel pretty safe with him in goal if it somehow came to it.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
I'd have Shelvey over Livermore. Shelvey has been brilliant since January at least. He ran the midfield against Chelsea on Sunday. Livermore is awful. Southgate yet another England manager with no ambition!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Aaron D.":15o5ap10 said:
Nobby":15o5ap10 said:
Latest news; Delph in. Livermore in. Wilshere out.

Farcical.
I'd take Wilshire but I can understand why he'd be left out. You just know he'd get injured.....

Jack Wilshere has now played two full seasons with minimal injury time. He's no more injury prone than some others in that squad, e.g John Stones, Danny Rose, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Ox (would be in but for injury), Lallana who may make it in, Welbeck etc.

Our central midfield this summer may be the worst we've ever taken to an international tournament. All of the quality is in the wide positions. That's why if you're going to gamble on one player in the squad, it's Jack Wilshere.

Nobby":jboq8utg said:
Aaron D.":jboq8utg said:
Nobby":jboq8utg said:
Latest news; Delph in. Livermore in. Wilshere out.

Farcical.
I'd take Wilshire but I can understand why he'd be left out. You just know he'd get injured.....

Jack Wilshere has now played two full seasons with minimal injury time. He's no more injury prone than some others in that squad, e.g John Stones, Danny Rose, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Ox (would be in but for injury), Lallana who may make it in, Welbeck etc.

Our central midfield this summer may be the worst we've ever taken to an international tournament. All of the quality is in the wide positions. That's why if you're going to gamble on one player in the squad, it's Jack Wilshere.

I know what you mean, as I said, I'd take him. However, he has only played 20 league games this season and 27 the season before. His form has been OK but not spectacular and he hasn't scored or assisted much. And then he had to get injured and miss the recent friendlies. I suspected then he wouldn't be selected. GS must see him as out of form and an injury liability. I can understand that.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don't get the whole "take Hart for experience" thing, he's never achieved anything with England so its not exactly great experience. Glad it looks like he'll take Pope, who is younger and has had a far better season than Hart.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Why Delph? A bit part left-back at Man City. Southgate will take him as a midfielder where he has played very little this year. I'm not against square pegs in round holes if the player in question is brilliant, but Delph? Really?

Also wonder if Ashley Young will get in and if so, will he be in as a LB or a LM/LW?

The PL now uses lots of our players in weird positions and the England set up is more traditional than that. Not overly excited by the announcement or indeed the World Cup.

Belfast Green

๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช
๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Cobi Budge":1llz9tak said:
I don't get the whole "take Hart for experience" thing, he's never achieved anything with England so its not exactly great experience. Glad it looks like he'll take Pope, who is younger and has had a far better season than Hart.

The experience thing is for older pros to help newbies perform in the tournament by keeping them calm and focussed. Rio Ferdinand talked about this convincingly recently. But a problem with Hart, particularly in the last Wold Cup, was that he got really worked up before a game. I wasn't there obviously, but you can imagine that this wouldn't have the calming older pro effect.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Nobby":1q6tazve said:

What he said. :iagree:

Sep 25, 2010
Two players who will probably be the squad, and in my opinion, should not be are

Stones, never an international player, 50 million ???, tries to play a โ€˜play out systemโ€™ from the back, and just not good enough, makes too many errors, a total liability.

Jordan Henderson, just what does he give to a team ?, like Gary Neville, always a square or backward pass, for him to take up a place in the starting eleven, baffles me.