What are your expectations for England? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What are your expectations for England?

How well will England do in Russia?

• Knocked out in the group stage

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Round of 16

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Quarter final

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • Semi final

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Runner up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winner

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Don't care, I'm Argyle and that's it!

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
monkeywrench":j79h527a said:
Clarke_B":j79h527a said:
monkeywrench":j79h527a said:
r4h4al":j79h527a said:
I think Quarter Finals like we usually do in tournaments. But that would actually be a success considering how poor we are compared to the great generation of 04-10.

Plus that and we haven't got to a Quarter Final since 2012.[/quote

We don't usually make the quarter finals any more. Haven't done for a long time (2006). We didn't get out of the group in 2012.

Monkeywrench, England did get out of the group in 2012...we drew with France and beat Sweden and the hosts Ukraine. We lost to Italy on penalties in the knockout.

My mistake, I was thinking world Cup in 2014.

We've not won a knock out match since 2006. A pretty terrible record in recent years.

We've only won two knockout matches in 90 minutes since Italia '90 (Denmark in 2002 and Ecuador in 2006). The win over Spain at Euro '96 was on penalties, after some somewhat favourable refereeing in our favour if memory serves.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
We've only won two knockout matches in 90 minutes since Italia '90 (Denmark in 2002 and Ecuador in 2006). The win over Spain at Euro '96 was on penalties, after some somewhat favourable refereeing in our favour if memory serves.

So Penalties don't count?

Sep 6, 2006
Lousy_Pint":1dp69p8q said:
I'm not making a prediction, because I really don't know.

Tis a funny thing, the World Cup. Every 4 years I spend 99% of the time thinking England have no chance and then, about a month or so before it starts, my heart says "you know, we could win this!" Inevitably however, it ends in disappointment.

You need a bit of luck in any competition and, if we get that, who knows? I really don't think we will win it (sorry heart), but we could go a long way... or we could go out in the group stage.

I would like to see Kane and Vardy start (particularly if we get out of the group). I would be delighted with three 1-0 wins in the group stage. We always start too fast in my opinion - we should save our better performances for later.

Enough of my ramblings, I'm going to enjoy winding up my Italian friends while we are still in it!!

'We always start too fast". ?? Must have missed that. But we certainly finish slowly. Probably something to do with having to play better teams later in tournament. Very unfair!

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Balham_Green":1qgqhv17 said:
Lousy_Pint":1qgqhv17 said:

Tis a funny thing, the World Cup. Every 4 years I spend 99% of the time thinking England have no chance and then, about a month or so before it starts, my heart says "you know, we could win this!" Inevitably however, it ends in disappointment.

You need a bit of luck in any competition and, if we get that, who knows? I really don't think we will win it (sorry heart), but we could go a long way... or we could go out in the group stage.

I would like to see Kane and Vardy start (particularly if we get out of the group). I would be delighted with three 1-0 wins in the group stage. We always start too fast in my opinion - we should save our better performances for later.

Enough of my ramblings, I'm going to enjoy winding up my Italian friends while we are still in it!!

'We always start too fast". ?? Must have missed that. But we certainly finish slowly. Probably something to do with having to play better teams later in tournament. Very unfair!

We do start too fast. We seem to always play really well in the first game when maybe we shouldn't because in doing that we are burnt out by the time we get to the QF's.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I haven't a clue to be honest, on anyone's chances not just England. In recent competitions, you knew where England's team stood and you knew where other nations stood. Now though, a lot of countries are coming to the end of an era, a lot of countries are just starting a new one, and a lot of countries are very much inbetween.

I'm looking forward to it, can never help getting caught up in world cup fever! Certainly makes the season come around faster as well.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I'm looking forward to it, can never help getting caught up in world cup fever! Certainly makes the season come around faster as well.

That's certainly true. It's definitely better than the Confed Cup we had last year which is a bit rubbish really in comparison.

I like the fact that in Euro's and WC Teams take it very seriously.

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":3voc8jf5 said:
Balham_Green":3voc8jf5 said:
Lousy_Pint":3voc8jf5 said:

We do start too fast. We seem to always play really well in the first game when maybe we shouldn't because in doing that we are burnt out by the time we get to the QF's.

So 2006 we struggled to beat Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago. 2010 we drew with USA and Algeria. 2014 we lost to Italy and Uruguay. Thats starting 'fast' is it? Just as well we don't start slow.

Jul 3, 2006
Brussels Bureaucrat":3kwdvtih said:
monkeywrench":3kwdvtih said:
Clarke_B":3kwdvtih said:
monkeywrench":3kwdvtih said:
r4h4al":3kwdvtih said:
I think Quarter Finals like we usually do in tournaments. But that would actually be a success considering how poor we are compared to the great generation of 04-10.

We don't usually make the quarter finals any more. Haven't done for a long time (2006). We didn't get out of the group in 2012.

Monkeywrench, England did get out of the group in 2012...we drew with France and beat Sweden and the hosts Ukraine. We lost to Italy on penalties in the knockout.

We've not won a knock out match since 2006. A pretty terrible record in recent years.

That is some stat - and it's actually since Mexico 1986, as both our wins in 1990, v Belgium and Cameroon, came after extra time and we lost all three games at Euro 88.

I'd guess at that run continuing with a second round exit this year, but who knows...

Sep 13, 2003
Any other greens going ? Going to Estonia and Finland first to settle into the traveling before heading to Volgograd on the 16th. Tickets finally arrived the other day. I met quite a few Argyle fans in São Paulo and Belo Horizonte at the last World Cup. I wore my Argyle top to the Costa Rica game and had lots of people from all around the world asking what team it was !
Did some Vodka training last week and paid for it the next day :-0
Hopefully it will go smoother in Russia!

Mar 14, 2009
If we get as far as the QF I think we face either Germany or Brazil.

So for me, despite how poor we can be, I would be really disappointed not to beat Panama and Tunsia and reach the knockout stages.

I'm slightly worried how fragile our mentality will be. This passing style of football is OK to talk about but if the game doesn't go our way will the players be brave enough to stick with it?

The other issue I have is our lack of creativity in terms of a passer of the ball. We have players with pace but who is actually going to open up a tight, packed defence?

H

HuddyTheGreen

Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":11hh7waa said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":11hh7waa said:
monkeywrench":11hh7waa said:
Clarke_B":11hh7waa said:
monkeywrench":11hh7waa said:
r4h4al":11hh7waa said:

Funnily enough I watched the highlights of that Euro 96 game vs Spain with a Spanish colleague of mine at work yesterday as neither of us could remember who deserved to win... we both agreed that England should have won in normal time.

H

HuddyTheGreen

Balham_Green":4iviwwe6 said:
Not how I remember it. Pretty sure Spain had perfectly good goal disallowed too.

And we missed some sitters, still, that's how we saw it.

The goal was definitely offside, though they probably should have had a penalty.

Sep 6, 2006
HuddyTheGreen":rv256y0z said:
Balham_Green":rv256y0z said:
Not how I remember it. Pretty sure Spain had perfectly good goal disallowed too.

And we missed some sitters, still, that's how we saw it.

The goal was definitely offside, though they probably should have had a penalty.

That would be it. I can remember an injustice against them and remember thinking how lucky we were afterwards.

Oct 31, 2015
Last 16 for me im afraid. I have settled to the fact that I will never see England in a major tournament final in my lifetime (born just after the 66 world cup) The best England team I have seen was the Terry Venables team with Shearer, Sherringham, Gazza etc and that was our best chance of reaching a final. Ever since we have not had the English players to match nor players with the right mentality. The Premiership primos dobt give two hoots about their England careers.

I said quite a few years ago pull an England team from the Championship and see how it copes. :)