Cornwall
Mark Pedlar":3mjl7e2x said:
monkeywrench":3mjl7e2x said:
Pickford
Trippier Walker stones Cahill Rose
Dier Henderson
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

(this is what I think GS will go with). Possibly may play Rashford rather than Lingard. It def seems like he's going with a back 5.

International football is 11 a side isn't it?

It's the only way we'll get out of the group!!

Jun 24, 2008
Does anyone else hope we play Pope in goal ahead of Butland and Pickford?

For me he's been one of the best keepers in the premier league this season. Butland and Pickford have been scrapping bottem end most of the season with quite a few errors. I understand he has little international experience but what does experience of international football matter when you're in goal. He stops shots for a living and has been the best English keeper at doing so this season. Why should he be 3rd choice?

Aug 5, 2016
Pickford

Walker Cahill Maguire Young

Dier Henderson Loftus-Cheek

Sterling Kane Vardy

About the best you can make out of that squad in my opinion.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
monkeywrench":3tv1veea said:
Pickford
Dier Henderson
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

(this is what I think GS will go with). Possibly may play Rashford rather than Lingard. It def seems like he's going with a back 5.

Personally don't think its a good idea to play both Walker and Stones in a back 3. One or the other IMHO.

Walker, Cahill, Maguire maybe?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Adam_R":3kfq7xw3 said:
monkeywrench":3kfq7xw3 said:
Pickford
Dier Henderson
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

Personally don't think its a good idea to play both Walker and Stones in a back 3. One or the other IMHO.

I'd play stones because he can play. It's how we have to play at international football. Need to look after the ball better than we have.

Personally I wouldn't have walker back there, he's better as an attacking full back, but it looks as though that's where Southgate wants to play him.

By the way, I'd lose Alli or Lingard from my line up to bring the numbers down to 11 :-D

Sep 25, 2010
monkeywrench":1i8eypgh said:
Adam_R":1i8eypgh said:
monkeywrench":1i8eypgh said:
Pickford
Dier Henderson
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

I'd play stones because he can play. It's how we have to play at international football. Need to look after the ball better than we have.

Personally I wouldn't have walker back there, he's better as an attacking full back, but it looks as thoughut that's where Southgate wants to play him.

By the way, I'd lose Alli or Lingard from my line up to bring the numbers down to 11 :-D

Sorry, but Stones is an absolute liability , yes he can play a bit, but his passing is horrendous, should not be going.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
If we wanted a ball playing CB in the 3 then personally i would prefer Eric Dier back there sat in front of some no-nonsense defenders... Cahill, Jones (each with their own flaws granted). But think Dier could be more effective there than in a CM spot which could be occupied by someone with a bit more attacking intent.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Martyn":z0i7e64s said:
monkeywrench":z0i7e64s said:
Adam_R":z0i7e64s said:
monkeywrench":z0i7e64s said:
Pickford
Dier Henderson
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

Personally I wouldn't have walker back there, he's better as an attacking full back, but it looks as thoughut that's where Southgate wants to play him.

Sorry, but Stones is an absolute liability , yes he can play a bit, but his passing is horrendous, should not be going.

No néed to apologise for disagreeing. Unfortunately we are not blessed with decent centre backs. I think he's still one of our better ones. Doesn't make him particularly good mind!!

Aug 7, 2011
Cornwall/Exeter
macleanie":34wm3aq6 said:

For me he's been one of the best keepers in the premier league this season. Butland and Pickford have been scrapping bottem end most of the season with quite a few errors. I understand he has little international experience but what does experience of international football matter when you're in goal. He stops shots for a living and has been the best English keeper at doing so this season. Why should he be 3rd choice?

I would definitely prefer Pope over the other two - in much better form and had a solid season. Still pretty sure he will be 3rd choice though...

Jun 24, 2008
monkeywrench":2j7pk7i2 said:
Martyn":2j7pk7i2 said:
Adam_R":2j7pk7i2 said:
Pickford
Dier Henderson
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

No néed to apologise for disagreeing. Unfortunately we are not blessed with decent centre backs. I think he's still one of our better ones. Doesn't make him particularly good mind!!

This is the problem in a nutshell. Not that long ago we were spoilt for choice with Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher, Campbell. It's just a shame they all came at once. All are much better options then the likes of Jagielka, Smalling, Jones, Maguire, Cahill and Stones of recent years.

Jun 24, 2008
TomD0407":1k1mb2cm said:
macleanie":1k1mb2cm said:

I would definitely prefer Pope over the other two - in much better form and had a solid season. Still pretty sure he will be 3rd choice though...

It's mad really. Southgate says he's basing team on form by putting them in the squad, for me he needs to put them in the starting 11 to prove that point. Outfield is different to keeper, they need to compliment each other. Unless your Man City its nothing more then saving shots otherwise.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
monkeywrench":9eih0q0s said:
Martyn":9eih0q0s said:
Adam_R":9eih0q0s said:
Pickford
Dier Henderson
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

I agree. Stones at the back in a straight back four doesn't bear thinking about. In a back three he might be ok. I think his best position is probably as a DCM, but the chances of him being played there are slim, what with Dier and Henderson seen as first picks.

I dont watch premiershite but have watched england on itv regular. I did watch one spurs/millwall cup game though
the season before last when pocchetinos lot won 6-0 using a 3421 with very attacking wing backs constantly on the ball.
Rose and trippier playing the roles that day for the lillywhites.
To me, southgates england look to be mirroring that system with similar emphasis on spurs ability that day, of passing and
playing it out from the back.
So my team on what ive seen, in a 3421 formation is.
Pickford in goal for his distribution. Not seen enough of him or the others to be entirely sure though.
Walker and rose as the attacking wingbacks. Trippier, young and trent-alexander as back up.
Cahill, stones and jones at centre back. Walker, maguire and dier as back up
Dier and henderson controlling in centre mid. Loftus-cheek, delph and trent-alexander as back up.
Sterling and ali as roving no 10 types. Lingard and rashford as back up.
Kane as the target man. Vardy and wellbeck as back up.
Gonna be a interesting one for me as still unsure about southgate at this level after witnessing some of his games in
charge of england u21s.
Tbf though he has done well with eng up to now, especially whilst blooding newer younger faces into the team and squad.
So fingers crossed and ever hopeful.
Whatever, looking forward to watching yet another WC. This will be my 14th. 1966 being my first.
Just a pity about the location this time though, and the next one come to think of it.
Bleddy blatter.

L

localboy

Pope

Walker Stones Mcguire Young

Alli Dier Loftus-Cheek
(C)

Rashford Kane Sterling

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Fat_green_belly":2mgduj0f said:
I dont watch premiershite but have watched england on itv regular. I did watch one spurs/millwall cup game though
the season before last when pocchetinos lot won 6-0 using a 3421 with very attacking wing backs constantly on the ball.
Rose and trippier playing the roles that day for the lillywhites.
To me, southgates england look to be mirroring that system with similar emphasis on spurs ability that day, of passing and
playing it out from the back.
So my team on what ive seen, in a 3421 formation is.
Pickford in goal for his distribution. Not seen enough of him or the others to be entirely sure though.
Walker and rose as the attacking wingbacks. Trippier, young and trent-alexander as back up.
Cahill, stones and jones at centre back. Walker, maguire and dier as back up
Dier and henderson controlling in centre mid. Loftus-cheek, delph and trent-alexander as back up.
Sterling and ali as roving no 10 types. Lingard and rashford as back up.
Kane as the target man. Vardy and wellbeck as back up.
Gonna be a interesting one for me as still unsure about southgate at this level after witnessing some of his games in
charge of england u21s.
Tbf though he has done well with eng up to now, especially whilst blooding newer younger faces into the team and squad.
So fingers crossed and ever hopeful.
Whatever, looking forward to watching yet another WC. This will be my 14th. 1966 being my first.
Just a pity about the location this time though, and the next one come to think of it.
Bleddy blatter.

The problem i see with the 3421 is that out play is so pedestrian that the opposition will easily be able to cut off supply to those attacking wingbacks. Unless the ball gets out to them quickly their effectiveness is nullified.

People like Eriksen and Dembele allow them to be bought into play easily but will Dier and Henderson have the ability to do that?

If the opposition nullify that threat then our only option is for Alli or whoever to drop deeper to try and link up play with Kane which is also not as effective as Alli playing just behind him.