🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Paul Mariner didn't rate him when other Argyle managers did:

Herald

Aug 3, 2017
It is a shame from our perspective however, it is all down to style I guess. Mariner clearly didn’t like him for the style he wanted to play. In that period of time, we lost a lot of talent for pennies. I understand, but it does suck. Still it should be a stark reminder why financial prudence should be integral to our future development.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Balham_Green":xtt0y26i said:
Mariner was clueless

I agree BUT did you think Barnes would do it?

I thought he was useless I really did.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He certainly roughs up a few of the Premier League ‘prima donnas’ and what about his goal against West Ham last week? It certainly caused a ‘stir’.

Oct 31, 2015
Probably one of our most succesful ex player alongside Bolasie, Gosling and Puncheon of recent years. A proper bruiser. Would be good to see him back in the futures

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
IJN":1j21tl45 said:
Balham_Green":1j21tl45 said:
Mariner was clueless

I agree BUT did you think Barnes would do it?

I thought he was useless I really did.

I liked him (ability wise), he was young and inexperienced but still seemed fairly at home at L1/Championship level even then. I would never have have quite said Premier League potential but he was a sad loss IMO.

It's weird how things turn out I suppose, if Mariner had rated him and never loaned him to Brighton they may never have pinched him and he may have stayed. He clearly has talent but he's not a standout player so in a free falling Argyle team would he ever have been spotted in the same way he was at a progressing Brighton side? Who knows...