Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Steve MacLean
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:53 pm 
Player Sponsor #1 18/19

MacLean scored a hat trick today in his final match for St Johnstone who he leaves in the summer to join Hearts.
St Johnstone were away to Motherwell who had Carl McHugh and Nadir Ciftci playing for them. McHugh got withdrawn at half time when they were 3-0 down and Ciftci got booked.
MacLean is now 35. I thought he was dire at Home Park and never understood what prompted Paul Sturrock to pay £500,000 for him.

Post subject: Re: Steve MacLean
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 pm 

Some say he was a payer with too much ‘on field’ intelligence not really suited to our style of play.

On face value I just didn’t see any thing worthwhile in him as a striker

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:47 pm 

Green as Grass wrote:
MacLean scored a hat trick today in his final match for St Johnstone who he leaves in the summer to join Hearts.
St Johnstone were away to Motherwell who had Carl McHugh and Nadir Ciftci playing for them. McHugh got withdrawn at half time when they were 3-0 down and Ciftci got booked.
MacLean is now 35. I thought he was dire at Home Park and never understood what prompted Paul Sturrock to pay £500,000 for him.
I think it was because at Sheffield W under Sturrock MacLean was brilliant. Similarly, Folly was a brilliant prospect a Southampton yet did little here.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm 
Player Sponsor #1 18/19

memory man wrote:
Green as Grass wrote:
I think it was because at Sheffield W under Sturrock MacLean was brilliant. Similarly, Folly was a brilliant prospect a Southampton yet did little here.

Yes that can be the only explanation but sadly there was no sign of that whilst he was at Argyle. I am amazed that he is still going strong. It must be an indication of the weakness of Scottish football.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:02 am 
Auction Winner

What prompted him is the fans, who wanted to splash the cash and make a big signing.

But although a very good footballer, he was completely unsuited to our style of play. Fallon at the time was better suited to Sturrock's style of play.

Happy he is doing well for St Johnstone though. Good luck to him.

Also Motherwell have 4 ex Argyle, and Keith Lasley is there as a coach too. I think they are my second team now. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:28 pm 
Site Owner

My opinion is he was a very poor player.

Didn't rate him one bit and he disrespected this club and its fans.

Couldn't care less about the bloke.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:20 am 

A very good technical player lacking pace who went to the wrong club. St Johnstone on the other hand use his strengths - and I'm sure Hearts will too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:49 am 

MacLean was a huge waste of money, with his wages and transfer fee he must have cost the club around £1m and contributed little. He was good on the ball, could pass and was undoubtedly a talent but he must be the most "un Luggy" type striker one could imagine and I've no earthly idea why Sturrock signed him, he was never a big strong battling target man in the Trigger mould and he didn't have the pace to run the channels. He had a lot of good qualities which have served other clubs well but he was a very poor fit for Sturrock's Argyle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 pm 

Given that Stapleton wouldn't give Holloway 200k to sign Charlie Adam, which might have been what we needed for him to take us to the promised land, but then did give Luggy 500k to sign MacLean, he'll always have a dark cloud over him for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 pm 
Site Owner

Charlie Adam was seen by Luggy, a deal was agreed and it was Luggy who backed out at the last minute, saying he didn't like his body shape.

Luggy even went and met with CA's parents.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:42 pm 

Maclean never fitted in on the pitch.
It didn’t work out, simple as that.

It didn’t work for a lot of players.

He was treated harshly though by the fans and was made a scapegoat.

He did a lot behind the scenes at the club with the youth teams etc that he never got any credit for. He also got on with his teammates.

I’m glad he’s done alright.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:33 am 

IJN wrote:
Charlie Adam was seen by Luggy, a deal was agreed and it was Luggy who backed out at the last minute, saying he didn't like his body shape.

Is that so ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:48 am 

gaspargomez wrote:
IJN wrote:

Is that so ?

That does seem strange.

After all, Luggys body shape isn't too dissimilar.