• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Happy Birthday Tony Waiters

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
https://twitter.com/ArgyleLegends/statu ... 1071361024

An Argyle manager with ambition. The man who oversaw some displays of great attacking football. Got Argyle to a League Cup semi final after wins away at QPR, Burnley and Birmingham in the days the top flight teams didn't make wholesale changes in the Cups.

Got Argyle promoted to the 2nd tier in 74/75 with I would say possibly the most exciting football. That season we won 7-3 at Bournemouth, 5-1 at Hereford and had massive home clashes and crowds against Blackburn, Charlton and Preston. Oh and in case LC is on a famous FA Cup win v Palace with a last kick penalty miss by the Eagles and eventual 4th Round defeat by League leaders Everton at Home Park in front of 38,000 & the MOTD cameras.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Yes, I recall that FA Cup game versus Everton. I seem to recall that Adrian Burrows gave away a penalty by having his hand up high in an aerial duel and the ball hit it.

I also remember Waiters getting the community out behind the Club and participating in fun runs on Sunday mornings in Central Park.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
QG

Wrong game mate. Think that was late 80s.1-1 home then beaten 4-0 at Goodison when Summerfield broke a leg.

The one I meant was in the days of Furnell, Green etc..Mariner missed out injured and Barrie Vassallo replaced him and scored but we lost 3-1.

Sep 6, 2006
cheshiregreen":1lvblosy said:
QG

Wrong game mate. Think that was late 80s.1-1 home then beaten 4-0 at Goodison when Summerfield broke a leg.

The one I meant was in the days of Furnell, Green etc..Mariner missed out injured and Barrie Vassallo replaced him and scored but we lost 3-1.

Greater goal by Vassallo. 38000 went wild. Fantastic atmosphere in those days.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Balham_Green":37ram9z2 said:
cheshiregreen":37ram9z2 said:
QG

Greater goal by Vassallo. 38000 went wild. Fantastic atmosphere in those days.

Vassolo's goal was 24.01.75 FA Cup 4th round.

The one I was thinking of was 28.01.89. in front of 28K We drew 1-1 and lost the replay, where Sharp kicked Summerfirld's standing leg so hard that he badly broke it, One of the worst tackles ever seen at Goodison apparently.