Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Neil Hague
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am 
PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19, PASOTI Punmaster and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

Tivvygreen wrote:
Used to be good with headers from corners particularly from the near post.

.. and if he missed it the first time he used to get the rebound? :think:
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:37 am 

I remember as a kid entering the ground 5 mins before the end to see Neil heading a last minute winner from a corner v non league Yeovil in an early early round of the fa cup.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:48 am 

ghost of hughie reed wrote:
I remember as a kid entering the ground 5 mins before the end to see Neil heading a last minute winner from a corner v non league Yeovil in an early early round of the fa cup.
A brilliant memory to but it looks as if he scored in a 1-0 win over Hendon in the first round in 1972 which led us to a second round tie away at Yeovil where we won 2-0. Dowling and Welsh got the goals. The crowd at Yeovil was nearly twice as big as the Argyle attendance against Hendon.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm 

memory man wrote:
A brilliant memory to but it looks as if he scored in a 1-0 win over Hendon in the first round in 1972 which led us to a second round tie away at Yeovil where we won 2-0. Dowling and Welsh got the goals. The crowd at Yeovil was nearly twice as big as the Argyle attendance against Hendon.

Ah Hendon....I can see why they call you memory man.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:57 pm 

memory man wrote:

Ah Hendon....I can see why they call you memory man.
I do have back-up to check on the memory. I just recall Tony Waiters organising a practice match on a sloping pitch somewhere in Plymouth in readiness for a trip to Yeovil. We had quite a run of early round games against non-League in those days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:56 am 

Does anybody remember Jim McAnearney scoring a wonder goal at Home Park circa 1962/3? I have a vivid recall of a volley from only a few yards in the opposition half and near to the right touchline flying into the top corner at the Barn Park end. I maybe mistaken, I was very young at the time and I used to dream about Argyle (instead if the nightmares in later years) so it may never have happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 am 

esmer wrote:
Does anybody remember Jim McAnearney scoring a wonder goal at Home Park circa 1962/3? I have a vivid recall of a volley from only a few yards in the opposition half and near to the right touchline flying into the top corner at the Barn Park end. I maybe mistaken, I was very young at the time and I used to dream about Argyle (instead if the nightmares in later years) so it may never have happened.
I saw every home game he played but cannot recall that one! I met Jim a lot during his final years and despite his modesty he would have relived such a goal over and over. I will have a look back at his career and see if that will help me summon up a memory. During the 61-62 resurgence under Ellis Stuttard he was a regular scorer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 am 
Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19

memory man wrote:
esmer wrote:
I saw every home game he played but cannot recall that one! I met Jim a lot during his final years and despite his modesty he would have relived such a goal over and over. I will have a look back at his career and see if that will help me summon up a memory. During the 61-62 resurgence under Ellis Stuttard he was a regular scorer.

Did he re-live the 'goal' he 'scored' against Preston in August 1962, MM?
I was standing on the Mayflower Terrace, in line with the penalty area at the Devonport End, and I, like many others, was certain that Jimmy's shot went in through the side netting. The referee was persuaded to inspect the netting by the Preston players but he still awarded the goal.
It didn't affect the result as we won 7-1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 am 

davie nine wrote:
memory man wrote:
esmer wrote:

Did he re-live the 'goal' he 'scored' against Preston in August 1962, MM?
I was standing on the Mayflower Terrace, in line with the penalty area at the Devonport End, and I, like many others, was certain that Jimmy's shot went in through the side netting. The referee was persuaded to inspect the netting by the Preston players but he still awarded the goal.
It didn't affect the result as we won 7-1.
That is where I was inclined to go, but I don't think it went flying into the top corner from the right touchline. I have match reports of every Saturday game from 1959 to 1963 but not midweek games. But I will look at what the Football Herald said the next Saturday and want the Independent said the next Sunday. Jim himself talked of a game that season against Walsall being one of his best - I think we won 3-0 and he scored twice. He also had a magnificent game on Boxing Day 1962 when we came from 2 down to beat Cardiff 4-2 on a frozen HP pitch. I am sure he scored twice that day and that one of them was a bit special.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am 

memory man wrote:
esmer wrote:

Sounds like I dreamt it then. It is a bit suspicious that around the same time I scored an identical one at the Devonport End when we beat Real Madrid on our way to our third European Cup win