• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jim McAnearney RIP

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I have heard from the McAnearney family today that Jimmy McAnearney passed away last Tuesday. Jimmy arrived at Argyle from Sheffield Wednesday in January 1960 in a busy week that saw two other signings from First Division clubs. He scored in his first match at home to Middlesbrough, becoming the 50th Argyle player to score on debut. Jim was one of the most elegant inside forwards of the post-war era at Home Park and was part of a memorable front line of Anderson, Carter, Kirby, McAnearney and Maloy. Jim loved his time in Plymouth where he often went coaching in the community. He went on to Watford in 1963 before finishing playing at Bradford City. He coached there and back at Wednesday, then at Leeds before managing Rotherham and Scarborough. He also formed and ran a successful tool business in Sheffield.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Anderson 46 goals, Carter 148 goals, Kirby 39 goals, McAnearney 34 goals and Maloy 16 goals. Has there ever been a forward line like that at Argyle since, proper forward line centre forward, 2 inside forwards and 2 wingers.

RIP Jim
531_1.jpg

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-p ... ,3,4,5,6,7

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
R.I.P.

I remember a game against Preston in 1962 when Jimmy scored a goal that went in through the side netting. Argyle won 7-1 and I think we were 6-0 up at half time. No video evidence in those days; black and white too.

A very fine inside left.

G

Greenskin

He was just before my time as a player but my father spoke very highly of him as a creative midfielder.Personally i'll never forget his immortal comment when he was at HP as the half time guest a few years ago and was asked by the compere what he thought of the first half.He replied "i think the ball needs to go to hospital after that!" :lol: Must have been the antithesis of the way he tried to play the game-i believe he was a manager for a few years and his brother was a very good player as well.

RIP Jimmy

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
davie nine":26l0844r said:
R.I.P.

I remember a game against Preston in 1962 when Jimmy scored a goal that went in through the side netting. Argyle won 7-1 and I think we were 6-0 up at half time.

A very fine inside left.
I remember that night well. A few years ago I asked him if that PNE game was the best he played but he told me his favourite game was the 3-0 win over Aston Villa in the final game of the 1959-60 season. Personally, I thought he was fantastic on Boxing Day 1962 v Cardiff on a very icy pitch. Ivor Allchurch played for Cardiff but Jimmy looked like the international that day. He was far too modest to agree.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
One of my childhood heroes, along with Wilf Carter.

RIP Jimmy.

:sad:

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
One of the "ball players" RIP Jimmy.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Remember him well from his successful days in the early 60's. He carried his elbows quite wide and his head low when running on the ball. Nothing flash about him, replicated years later by Kevin Hodges in being a very good solid responsible Argyle player.