RIP Dad - Don Herring | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

RIP Dad - Don Herring

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
My dear Father, Don Herring, passed away on Saturday evening.
Aged 88, he had been going to Home Park since games recommenced after the war. He probably went to nearly every home game until a couple of years ago, when dementia spoiled his enjoyment considerably.
He started taking me in the early 60's, making me a stool to stand on in the Spion Kop corner. It was fitting then, that our last game together (2-2 v Oldham in September) we were sat in that same corner.
I fondly remember the few away games we went to together, including the Billy Bingham encounter at Plainmoor, the nightmare at Elm Park and a visit to the Old Den - which we lost fortunately!
He never had a PC or used his mobile, so was spared the 'delights' of Pasoti.
I hope you understand that I am really struggling to write this, so I'll just say Dad was a True Green. God bless you!!

Mar 14, 2009
Lousy_Pint":1rture7k said:
My dear Father, Don Herring, passed away on Saturday evening.
Aged 88, he had been going to Home Park since games recommenced after the war. He probably went to nearly every home game until a couple of years ago, when dementia spoiled his enjoyment considerably.
He started taking me in the early 60's, making me a stool to stand on in the Spion Kop corner. It was fitting then, that our last game together (2-2 v Oldham in September) we were sat in that same corner.
I fondly remember the few away games we went to together, including the Billy Bingham encounter at Plainmoor, the nightmare at Elm Park and a visit to the Old Den - which we lost fortunately!
He never had a PC or used his mobile, so was spared the 'delights' of Pasoti.
I hope you understand that I am really struggling to write this, so I'll just say Dad was a True Green. God bless you!!

Beautifully written.

Thoughts with you and your family.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Your story sounds very similar to mine, sadly i lost my father at just 66, but he was the one to blame for my love affair with the greens (even though that love is tested to the limits at times). The nightmare of Elm Park is something many of us still recall, it was the only game me and my father went to together but didn't speak a word to each other on the way home.
Your next Argyle game will undoubtedly come with a heavy heart, memories will flood back and you'll want to tell him all about the game the moment the final whistle blows. Stay behind after the final whistle, have a good look around the ground and recall the happy times - sincere best wishes.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Your dad is looking down now and reading Pasoti for the first time and is no doubt touched by your words. RIP Pilgrim.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Sad to hear of your loss and my did your dad go some lows and highs with the Greens! I always think it’s great to hear of a father taking his young son (or daughter) to football and thereby instilling a lifelong interest in a particular club or the game in general. Alas, my father never did that for me and I just gained the passion for myself. So enjoy your memories and hope that the Greens go onto bigger and better things.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Thanks guys, it means a lot.

And V_of_R, I will certainly take your advice about staying behind after my next game, great idea, thanks. I'm not looking forward to it really and hope I remember my sunglasses, as I am an emotional old fart!

I believe the Elm Park fiasco was even worse for Dad and I... we were in the home end with my Reading supporting brother-in-law!! But we enjoyed seeing the massed ranks of the Green Army from the other end at least.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
My condolences too.

I lost my father just over seven years ago and now I have no-one to bemoan our losses with, except the pasoti gang.

Remember the good times more than the losses.

:huddle:

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Condolences to you LP. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

RIP Don.