RIP my dad - David Benwell | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

RIP my dad - David Benwell

Aug 8, 2017
RIP to the man who is responsible for my love of all things Argyle.

He passed away suddenly today, without warning aged 64, after contracting sepsis.

He first attended Argyle as a young boy in the 50s. After losing her sight in an accident whilst playing football aged 8, he spent many months in hospital but always made sure he was kept up to date with what happening at Argyle.

Over the years he lived all over England and had a short spell working & living in Glasgow. Wherever he traveled his loved for Argyle remained and he still attended as many games as he could home and away.

He had an incredibly successful career and never let his disability stand in the way but there was one dream left to fulfill once he retired. 2 years ago, he fulfilled a lifelong ambition to qualify as a Barrister. His work as a magistrate in recent years gave him so much joy but it meant he wasn't able to travel as much to watch Argyle. Every matchday though without fail he logged to ifollow from his home in Blackpool to listen to the match.

He took me to my first match aged 3 years old and we spent every weekend for the next 20+ years traveling the length of the country together to follow the greens. It was "our thing" that we did together. Tomorrow when Argyle take on Fleetwood, which i just 3 miles from our home, I will maybe attend as planned, in his memory as if I can't feel close to my dad doing the one thing we both loved so much. I never will.

It is given our family great comfort to know that one of the final things he did before falling ill was to attend the Tony Waiters event. It was such a thrill for him to meet and chat to his Argyle hereos.

RIP Dad
David Benwell 29.09.54-15.03.19