Adam Randell - next season

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
I know he is seen as a holding midfielder but watching Torquay V Notts Co at the weekend in the play off semi he was pretty much employed as a right winger.

He's a good athlete, fast and creative (he set up what should have been the winning goal in normal time from the right flank) and it made me think that perhaps he could fulfil the right wing back role next season?

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Having watched a couple of the play off games, I was surprised how Torquay employed Randell. He was hugging the touch line for almost all of the time without ever threatening to get to the bye line.

Apr 1, 2009
He's mobile, but I'm not convinced he is "fast". It's good if he can play in multiple positions.

I think it is important to curb expectations on what Randell can achieve next season. He's certainly done very well at Torquay, but two divisions is a significant jump. Some people think he should be an automatic starter next season, but that's asking a lot. Start him on the bench, see how he responds to the opportunites he gets as he is gradually introduced into the team.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
xmastree":1p6x6432 said:
He's mobile, but I'm not convinced he is "fast". It's good if he can play in multiple positions.

I think it is important to curb expectations on what Randell can achieve next season. He's certainly done very well at Torquay, but two divisions is a significant jump. Some people think he should be an automatic starter next season, but that's asking a lot. Start him on the bench, see how he responds to the opportunites he gets as he is gradually introduced into the team.

For me he is understudy next season to whomever we deploy in the CDM/QB role. I would like to see a senior player come in to play there, with Joe Edwards either pushed forward into one of the 8 roles, or continuing at RWB. Edwards' goal tally last season makes me think this is the right thing to do, rather than deploy him holding, where his attacking threat would be much reduced.

Bring Randell in for the cup games, and give him minutes in the League when we need to hold a lead and put 2 in there.

This is all assuming we're playing 3-1-4-2 again next season!

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I agree with other posters here that we need to be patient with him. National League to League One is a big step, I know Jephcott made a bigger leap but that was unusual, and he will need to bed in and develop but I’m sure Lowe knows that.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I know there is a lot of talk about Randell playing the DCM position, but what is his actual preferred position?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah I was disappointed to see him out wide. To me it seemed very similar to a less enlightened England team putting technical players out wide (Paul Scholes in particular springs to mind) instead of in the thick of it. Though Torquay seemed to be using him as a Beckham type, with cross-field balls and deep crosses.

I'm certain his position is a deep-lying playmaker, as that's where he was played by Ryan Lowe in friendlies, in Argyle youth teams (I think) and I'm sure even by Torquay earlier in the season.

I'm hopeful that he'll excel under 1) a more ball-playing manager who trusts technical players, and 2) in a league that is less physical than non-league or League 2.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Really looking forward to seeing him in a green shirt next season, think he will be a class act and go on to much bigger things in 2-3 years time!

Apr 15, 2016
Best for him would be to get promoted with Torquay and send him back there next season for a year in League 2.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I would say that defensively he looked really good against Notts County, numerous times 1 on e 1 against his winger and I can't recall him ever letting his attacker he was marking get around him at all.

He's not slow either and has good skill - I can see him being either a holding midfielder or a RWB at some point in his career.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He seems to have the energy, motivation, skill and crossing ability to become a competent RWB. My main concern would be his height.
However, as the perceived size problem has been addressed in defence, this may not be such an issue.

Dec 30, 2020
I like the idea of aping the system Chelsea used to win the Champions League. They also play with 3 at the back and wing backs, and have two deep central midfielders... Kante as a ball winner and Jorginho as a playmaker.

Randell could play the Jorginho role?

Aug 24, 2009
What impressed me most was Randell's pass that Torquay scored from, it was fantastic how he set up the goal rather than take the extra touch which we did last season with great regularity. the early pass does not allow the defence to organise and is more difficult to defend rather than the extre touch which is easier because the angle is less.

Jun 16, 2021
Decent prospect but still needs time both physically and tactically.
Men and boys comes to mind at the mo but another season of development at a lower level and who knows he could eventually return as a 1st team player but defo not this coming season which would be cameo bench appearances at best IMHO

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that he will be given his chance in early season friendlies and I hope that he will surprise us. He has been playing consistently well all season against battle hardened, experienced players and he will have learnt a lot in the National League.
It didn’t take Ollie Watkins too long to adapt when he returned from Weston-Super-Mare to Exeter City and that was at a lower level.