• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The future of Greens on Screen

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
The end of season brings thoughts again about the future of my website, which you might know has been on my mind for many years. Back in 2017 I made an effort to seek a successor (it even made the local papers), but there were no takers. The more I've thought about it since then, the more I realise that it's a huge ask, and I can see very few realistic options. But equally, Steve Dean won't last forever.

So I have made a decision, and the only way to settle the matter in my head is to make it public. GoS has just seen the end of its 22nd full season, and I will aim for 25 and then stop. Not only does that seem like a good number, but, all being well, I'll be 72, an age when GoS will be far from the exciting hobby of the early days and much more like a ball and chain.

What will happen then? Unless an unexpected solution comes forth, I'll freeze the site but continue to pay the annual fees to the hosting provider for as long as I can, so it will still be available on the internet as a reference for 138 years of Argyle. But sadly, only 138. No more matches, no new players, no further updates of any form.

Why am I giving three seasons' notice? Perhaps I still hold out hope that a rescuer will come riding over the horizon, but I can't stress enough how enormous the job will be for that person (or group), and that three years to learn the data, code, processes and the underlying technology that I've moulded over 22 years is not that daft. Needless to say, no one will be more delighted than me if a serious commitment emerges. More realistically, I want to use the remaining time to tidy up a great deal within the site, to reduce it down to what I think will be worth freezing (mostly GoS-DB and history of the club), and even to improve matters, such as attempting to finish the history chapters and add to the team photo collection.

Whatever happens, it won't be for a while, but having thought about it for some years, I now feel the time has come to make a decision. Not good news and I'm sorry about that, but I hope you understand.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Steve the service you have provided for Argyle fans has been incredible. The amount of time and effort it must require to continually update GoS is insane.

I use GoS as the bible of Argyle information when making the So, You Think You Know Argyle quizzes. It has helped me time and time again.

What do you think the chances would be of Argyle taking over the GoS? The current Media/Marketing team are pretty good at what they do and I reckon they would definitely be interested in supporting it.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Steve I would love to help.

I dabble a bit in websites from time to time, however with a young family I wouldn't be able to commit full time to everything.

More than happily be part of a team to keep it going.

To let all your hard work and legacy freeze in time would be a travesty, so would definitely want to keep it going.

Aug 5, 2015
How sad. If I wasn’t an old fart myself I’d give it a go but I’m even older than you mate. Thank you very, very much for all the effort you’ve put into this over the years.

Steve, thanks for your honesty and dedication to GoS..There must be someone who would gladly take the reins from you. I've always thought that Someone at PAFC Media should look into this and take it on board to keep this rich heritage of our club. It is an invaluable service and I'm sure I'm not alone with the deep gratitude I have (not only for Gos) but for yourself and contributors who have made it a pleasure to visit after match days and of course the redevelopment of Home Park.

Thanks again for all you do..

Laido

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Laido":39u09b2n said:
Steve, thanks for your honesty and dedication to GoS..There must be someone who would gladly take the reins from you. I've always thought that Someone at PAFC Media should look into this and take it on board to keep this rich heritage of our club. It is an invaluable service and I'm sure I'm not alone with the deep gratitude I have (not only for Gos) but for yourself and contributors who have made it a pleasure to visit after match days and of course the redevelopment of Home Park.

Thanks again for all you do..

Laido
I agree with all of the above. It's a hell of a job you've done with GoS, Steve.

Apologies if I'm wrong but I recall last time that you raised the succession issue, understandably you wanted to keep GoS independent of the club and I'm sure we all respected that. But if no-one else steps up, wouldn't having such an invaluable record of the continuing history of our club in the safe hands of PAFC be preferable to having it frozen and possibly eventually lost? That would be disastrous.

It's not like there's anything contentious or controversial on GoS - is there? Surely it's primarily a factual resource - an unparalleled one in the game, in my experience - and as such it deserves proper custodianship. In the absence of alternatives, if the only answer is for that to be in the hands of PAFC, assuming they wanted to take it on, wouldn't that be the right and proper approach?

Edit: is there any way it could be under the auspices of the club but semi-detached in some way e.g. like a Trust or similar, with one or more Trustee(s) from outside the club to maintain a check and balance? I don't know if this is possible or practical.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, it’s too good and too precious for it not to continue.

I guarantee Argyle themselves use it regularly, so there must be some potential there. As an unparalleled Plymouth-related historical resource and tool, even someone from the Box or university (very long shot).

As you say though, it’s the constant maintenance and learning how it all works in the first place, that’s the tricky bit.

Maybe, just maybe, with the onslaught of the new site and all of its associated "bits and pieces", could we set up a group of

interested bods who COULD take a bit of GoS and focus on their bit ?

I know when you dismantle ANYTHING, it is NEVER the same !

Just a thought ?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Steve,

Perhaps as a start you could give a rough idea of how many hours per week you spend on keeping the site updated. I appreciate that its very peaked in terms of what is put on both daily, weekly and seasonally but just an outline may help people get their thoughts clear in their minds.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Totally understand your reasons for packing it up - but what a MARVELLOUS site it is!!

It must be the envy of many clubs.

We shall certainly miss it, if nobody can take up the reins.

Thanks Steve

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Steve, I think everyone that has ever used GoS understands that it is unparalleled record of Argyle's history since the turn of the last century and the place it holds in everyone's hearts. it is a remarkable testimonial to your dedication and devotion over the last 23 years - no other Club has such a site of such quality and depth.

I think with the improvements to Argyle's media offer and social media improvements generally and access to them, the future role of GoS may be best served by a slimmed down version that just concentrates on keeping the GoS - DB database up to date (see link) https://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb.asp. The Daily Diary, On This Day and the like, whilst interesting, are less important in my view.

GoS-DB is where the strength and value of the site lies. I wonder, therefore, whether the Club could update all the other matters relating to the season - teams, tables, game-by-game progress, appearances etc. with a link to the pafc.co.uk website. Leaving just the GoS-DB to update. I have no idea of what this involves and how long it takes but i put it forward as it may relieve and reduce the burden and pressure of taking the site forward.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
First of all, thanks so much for the kind words. It's not the first time I've said that over the years, but it's just as much appreciated.

A few brief answers:

I let the club know about my decision last week and received a warm first response. I'll wait now to see if anything develops.

In terms of the time spent on maintaining the site, that's a tricky one to answer. I was asked this question three years ago and worked through every aspect of the site to try to tot it up. That came up with 25 hours a week for me, and 15 hours for 9 volunteers (as I had then). That was a lot less than it was in the early days, and it would definitely reduce further, depending on how much of the present-day GoS remains.

And yes, I agree that GoS-DB and the history are the crown jewels, and I'll be reducing other aspects over the coming year or two in the hope that what's left is possible to hand on. The technical aspects are the big problem though, especially as the site is written in a language that isn't the norm these days. A complete redesign/rewrite would be the answer to that of course, and it would be an opportunity to build something that also suits handheld devices. But the effort would be considerable for an amateur, as would be the cost if it was done professionally.

Tis a problem.

Mar 14, 2009
I do hope you find someone.

I would say though that whoever takes may want to make slight alterations to how things are done. I think as it currently stands it’s fantastic but people have their own ideas and this maybe an issue with a handover.

It’s very tricky to find someone as dedicated and talented as yourself and do all this on a volunteering basis. People simply nowadays love the reward money brings them for their work and efforts. It’s why if people have spare time they venture into YouTube channels for example.

Unfortunately, the number of people who do things for free will dwindle as our society evolves. It’s more now l enjoy this but what can l get from it financially attitude that’s taking over.

I would of thought the best option would be the club to take over it. I don’t know if it’s possible but maybe they could add it into a data department of the club.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Is PASOTI not interested in amalgamating GoS into a reference section of this site? Think of the income revenue with all those clicks. Would it not pay for it's own upkeep?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You obviously don't understand how much that would upset Steve.

Money isn't everything Paul.