Biggest clubs in League 1 next season? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Biggest clubs in League 1 next season?

Jan 5, 2019
What's your opinion on who the big sides are in L1 next year?

Myself I think Sunderland Ipswich Blackpool & us, confirmed

Portsmouth, if they don't go up

Anyone other than Reading Huddersfield Barnsley & Luton in that quite vast relegation scrap in the championship, should 3 of them 4 not get relegated.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think our League 2 average attendance would put us 4th in League 1... especially with Bolton going down.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... ttendances

Blackpool might be more successful and better than us historically, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say we're a 'bigger' club in 2020.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
How do you define ‘biggest’? Biggest in what?

In attendances?

In history?

In stature?

In team strength?

In stadium and facilities?

In following?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The big club thing is becoming less and less an indicator of success therefore to be honest I don't really even think about it. Fleetwood & Wycombe both finished above Sunderland & Ipswich this season. I think gone are the days when attendances dictated budgets, clubs are financed in different ways and/or to a certain degree clubs succeed by finding the right style/blend of players, football is a very different game now, I think probably for the better as well, there's more league mobility than there used to be.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
BcbC2312":2evfpr3g said:

Anyone other than Reading Huddersfield Barnsley & Luton in that quite vast relegation scrap in the championship, should 3 of them 4 not get relegated.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that Argyle are a bigger club than Huddersfield, Barnsley and Reading?.

Jan 5, 2019
WoodsyGreen":38y497n9 said:
Blackpool?? That's a head-scratcher.

Just thinking cause they're decent sized ground like us both 17,000 plus, sole fa cup win, prem with ollie a decade ago plus being a decent 1st division side back in the day with the likes of Stanley Mathews.

But respect other people's opinion's cause they might think different.

Jan 5, 2019
Biggs":1vciyiif said:
I think our League 2 average attendance would put us 4th in League 1... especially with Bolton going down.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... ttendances

Blackpool might be more successful and better than us historically, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say we're a 'bigger' club in 2020.

Yeah I agree cause Bolton & Bradford get more but are now a league below.

Yeah without a doubt but I definitely can see your arguement, cause attendances alone home we are 2k up on Blackpool & away we take 800 odd to Bloomfield Road where they took 250 ish when I saw them at home park in 2018, all be it the summer before oysten left & their attendances have now risen to the norm for them.

Apr 1, 2009
Please define what you mean by "biggest". Thread is utterly irrelevant without such a definition.

Jan 5, 2019
Tugboat":pne79chd said:
How do you define ‘biggest’? Biggest in what?

In attendances?

In history?

In stature?

In team strength?

In stadium and facilities?

In following?

All of the above bar history & team strength, cause history we're not big for compared to Ipswich e.g. & also some small clubs, like Swindon Oxford the 4 I mentioned in the championship, all have successful history compared to Argyle & all have top flight experience top flight titles fa cup or league cup wins.

As well as team strength cause right now in L1 there's small clubs with stronger sides then the big, like Fleetwood over us Peterborough over Blackpool.

Jan 5, 2019
Cobi Budge":2ppe622g said:
The big club thing is becoming less and less an indicator of success therefore to be honest I don't really even think about it. Fleetwood & Wycombe both finished above Sunderland & Ipswich this season. I think gone are the days when attendances dictated budgets, clubs are financed in different ways and/or to a certain degree clubs succeed by finding the right style/blend of players, football is a very different game now, I think probably for the better as well, there's more league mobility than there used to be.

I do see where you're coming from, as now a days you'll see Rotherham in the championship Brentford knocking on the door of the Prem & Bournemouth in it, whilst Bolton and Bradford are in the football league basement Notts County in non league.

Jan 5, 2019
freddie2greens":3vyn3by4 said:
sunderland, Portsmouth, middlesborough if relegated

I can agree there :thumbup: , all giants out side of the top 2 leagues, all strong prem sides in the past.

Jul 14, 2008
Devongreenowl":2v73gqhv said:
BcbC2312":2v73gqhv said:

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that Argyle are a bigger club than Huddersfield, Barnsley and Reading?.
Argyle are absolutely a bigger club than Reading irrespective of average league positions over the last 10 years.

Jan 5, 2019
Devongreenowl":1x38hkqy said:
BcbC2312":1x38hkqy said:

Sounds ludicrous I know but yes :crazy: only because of are city size, as I know Huddersfield have better following, Barnsley equal following & all 3 have bigger stadiums & a far better history then argyle.