Drinking in your seat? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Drinking in your seat?

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
I for one do not want Argyle to allow alcohol drinking during games.Apart from the obvious inebriation effect,there is the other annoying thing of more toilet breaks for said drinkers blocking ones view and possible spillage of drinks onto other fans.
What do others think?

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
rongreenblood":3nfedbs2 said:
I for one do not want Argyle to allow alcohol drinking during games.Apart from the obvious inebriation effect,there is the other annoying thing of more toilet breaks for said drinkers blocking ones view and possible spillage of drinks onto other fans.
What do others think?

Plus side is the revenue it would generate.

Downsides are everything you mention above.

Hopefully people buy before and take to their seats rather than up and down all game. When I’ve been to the rugby it tended to be that way.

Cricket is a bit different as it goes on for longer so people drink throughout. And there is less chance of missing something! Some grounds limit when you can leave your seats etc. To stop the interruption to others viewing.

If they did I would like it to be block specific as that would allow people to choose.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Works abroad, but if it was allowed over here a small minority would ruin it for everyone (as they usually do). Not sure it's worth the effort it would need to bring in.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
rongreenblood":2mba2ak6 said:
What do others think?

Have I missed some announcement? It is currently illegal to consume alcohol within view of the pitch.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
rongreenblood":2my3dmnw said:
What do others think?

Football club supporters should avoid liquidatation!!

Seriously, alcohol is allowed in other codes and in other countries - so why not. In some places it is difficult to imagine a football match without a convivial drink.

Toilet breaks are necessary whether you drink beer or tea, and spillage can happen with any drink.

People roll into the stadium half shanked at the moment anyway, and people have been drinking at matches (but not in their seats) for years (e.g. the far post club).

There should be control over serving alcohol in-ground to those who have had enough - but that applies to any licensed premises anyway.

Jul 14, 2008
metroace":1ogvr71w said:
rongreenblood":1ogvr71w said:
What do others think?

Have I missed some announcement? It is currently illegal to consume alcohol within view of the pitch.
Apparently some clubs are pushing for the legislation to be changed. Presumably part of the argument is to help stop people forming large huddles under the stand at half time in the rush to buy beer?

May 31, 2007
Sunny Yorkshire
Been to a number of rugby games where it is allowed and TBH the effect is minimal. Most don't want to miss the action so stick to before and half time.

Seems to be that given the choice most are considerate, or at least do what they are there to do and watch the game.

Nov 18, 2011
If only when designing the new grandstand the architects had planned for a little train network like at St Pauli's ground.

The train brings food and drink to the fans meaning they should need to stand up during the game!

Seriously though, German football allows fans to drink during the game in sight of the pitch and seems better for it, at least if they were serving alcohol it'd stop the half time rush and people trying to neck their pints in 30 seconds so they don't miss any action.

C

Cult Of Personality

If you can't go 45 mins without the need to have a drink you have a problem. Get one at half time and enjoy it then go back and watch the 2nd half. Seriously don't need to having drinking during the game in our seats

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Cult Of Personality":16mat6n9 said:
If you can't go 45 mins without the need to have a drink you have a problem. Get one at half time and enjoy it then go back and watch the 2nd half. Seriously don't need to having drinking during the game in our seats

This :thumbs:

Apr 15, 2008
London
Cult Of Personality":1sqhtwqz said:

Agreed. It is annoying at a packed rugby match, it would be even more annoying at a football game.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Cult Of Personality":rxjvm2wv said:

I agree and also whatever happens at rugby, cricket and other sports, we all know what would happen at football matches. People would get drunk, rowdy, aggressive, unpleasant - as some already do and that's without drinking in your seat being allowed.

I've been to the cricket at Taunton plenty of times when groups of people are getting absolutely smashed on fermented apple juice. It's quite funny and good hearted and adds to the atmosphere to begin with but it really does get a bit much after a while.

Jun 27, 2019
Cult Of Personality":2cbowohr said:

I can only speak for myself, obviously, but I would like to have a beer in my seat while watching Argyle. That doesn't mean I can't go without one - I've been watching Argyle at a legal drinking age for a couple of decades and have managed so far!

It's all about enhancing the experience, though, as well as bringing more fans in through the gates. Doctor above mentioned the cricket at Taunton; loads of people go to the T20 on a weekend purely because they can have a beer and a laugh with their mates while watching sport. Yes, some take it too far, but there are alcohol-free stands you can sit in should you prefer to stay away from the drinkers.

Sadly football has a problem with amoeba-brained morons who probably aren't that pleasant to be around when they're sober, never mind after 10 pints. Those people would ruin it for everyone else. Never mind the potential for violence and abuse, I can just imagine what would happen to all that beer should Argyle score. We've all seen the images from the last World Cup of that pub in London, and I bet not all that liquid was beer...