Wootton signs new deal | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Wootton signs new deal

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/june/scott-signs/

Just 1 to go!

I have an added layer of respect for the players who have signed new deals with Argyle during these uncertain times. Who would have thought 12 months ago that SW would be staying for a third season. I think his is one of the most significant turnarounds I've seen from an Argyle player. Our relegation can't be pinned on him but for one reason or another he became a scapegoat. Transformed under Lowe, he's had a very solid season and I'm happy that he's decided to stay.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Scott had a great season, improved game on game, by the end he was confident on the ball & he was getting higher up the pitch overlapping etc. Deserves his new deal and another chance in L1 - we’re a very different animal now, different style, different energy etc.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Many may not agree but I actually rate Wootton as our best CB (Could be Aimson but I mean of those who have played regularly). A lot of SW's work last season went unnoticed & people let the season before (different system & manager) cloud their view of him. Very tidy RCB, with a back 2 I may be slightly concerned about him heading into L1 again but in a back 3 I think he'll be absolutely fine.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Cobi Budge":1ymmgojq said:
Many may not agree but I actually rate Wootton as our best CB (Could be Aimson but I mean of those who have played regularly). A lot of SW's work last season went unnoticed & people let the season before (different system & manager) cloud their view of him. Very tidy RCB, with a back 2 I may be slightly concerned about him heading into L1 again but in a back 3 I think he'll be absolutely fine.

Agree, plus he's had plenty of valuable experience.

Jul 12, 2016
Not sure about him but time will tell. My main concern is that our goals against column looked good not only because of our defending but the lack of quality of finishing of league 2 strikers. We looked very laborious in defence.

Apr 4, 2004
Good news. He showed his quality last season. Even though our attacking style left the defense very exposed at times, our defenders did very well. :thumbs:

Jun 27, 2019
Cobi Budge":14x1nvad said:

I'm not letting the relegation season cloud my view. I just don't think he's very good, and to say he's our best CB doesn't say a lot about the others.

I accept he had a solid season just gone but that was in League Two where most of the strikers are poor. League One is a sterner challenge and I don't think Wooton is up to it but we'll see. He's our player and I'll support him as long as he's wearing that ship on his chest.

Oct 5, 2013
This is really good news, he’s had a very good season and under RL looks a different player than under DA (which could be said for several others too).
He knows the game and really gives it everything, a very good asset.

May 8, 2011
philevs":mtcihhpm said:
This is really good news, he’s had a very good season and under RL looks a different player than under DA (which could be said for several others too).
He knows the game and really gives it everything, a very good asset.

He only started 6 games in 18/19 due to injury so how can anyone compare the two seasons.

Jan 27, 2012
Different combinations of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer proved to be ineffective in League One. These central defenders were either too slow or too error prone at the higher level and were a big factor in the club being relegated. What’s going to be so different this time around ?

Aug 5, 2016
gaspargomez":2ynqg2mm said:
Different combinations of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer proved to be ineffective in League One. These central defenders were either too slow or too error prone at the higher level and were a big factor in the club being relegated. What’s going to be so different this time around ?

Different goalkeeper, different formation, different tactics, different teammates, different manager and coaching staff, different man management and renewed confidence among other things.

Mar 14, 2009
I remember a couple of great blocks he made last reason.

Unfortunately, l remember too many times he is simply out paced. Just like Sawyer, he isn’t good enough for league one. Not because of their attitude or commitment. Simply, because they both are too slow and if we got easily counter attacked in league 2, logic tells you league 1 players will do the same.

If you shift him into the centre of a 3, at least he is protected. However, l do dread to think our back 3 would be Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer next season.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Not sure we should be celebrating that much. I think we need two new defenders and I sincerely hope that Wootton isn’t in the starting 11, because we will be in trouble defensively. Saw too many howlers and poor positional play from him last season, to give me any confidence that he would be any good at the higher level. Would be delighted to be proved wrong though.