Team of this Century | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Team of this Century

Aug 5, 2016
Hypothetical scenario: Argyle are in the Championship playoff final to go to the Premier League.

You are allowed to use any players that have played for Argyle (from the turn of the millennium to the present) to run out at Wembley and take us to the top tier.

What formation do you pick and what is your starting XI? Who is on your bench and which gaffer do you choose to manage the game?

Off the top of my head (4-4-2)

Larrieu
Connolly
Coughlan
Timar
Sawyer
Norris
Friio
Buzsaky
Halmosi
Gallagher
Evans

Midfield was toughest. Nalis narrowly missed out so would be on the bench. Also Wotton, Carey, Mackie, Gosling, Sinclair and Fallon. Holloway as manager.

This was an initial thought so I'd probably jig it around again if I thought properly.

M

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
McCormick

Connolly
Coughlan
Timar
Bhasera

Norris
Nalis

Buzsacky
Friio
Halmosi

Wright-Phillips

Bench: Larrieu, Bradley, Sawyer, Hourihane, Bolasie, Carey, Evans

Manager: Holloway

Feb 8, 2019
GK - McCormick

LB - Bhasera
CB - Coughlan
CB - Timar
RB - Seip

CDM - Nalis

CM - Friio
CM - Buzsáky

RW - Bolasie
LW - Halmosi

ST - Wright-Phillips

Bench - Matthews, Bradley, Connolly, Norris, Carey, Ebanks-Blake, Gallagher

Manager - Holloway

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
4-1-3-2

McCormick

Connolly
Ward
Coughlan
Bhasera

Nalis

Halmosi
Friio
Buzsaky

Ebanks-Blake
Reid

Subs - Larrieu, Bradley, Wotton, Norris, Carey, Banton, Keith.

Manager - Ian Holloway.

Midfield was really difficult because we've had so many good players in that position.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Larrieu
Bhasera
Coughlan
Bradley
Seip
Norris
Buzsaky
Friio
Carey
Halmosi
Wright-Philips

Subs
Matthews
Connolly
Hourihane
Gallagher
Nalis
Timar
Lameiras

Manager....Sturrock.

All of the outfield first team can score goals.....you score 4...we'll score 5.

Aug 5, 2016
I think I'd go 4-5-1/4-3-3

GK: Larrieu

RB: Connolly CB: Seip CB: Elliott Ward LB: Bhasera

CM: Norris CM: Fletcher CM: Hourihane

RW: Carey CF: Wright Phillips LW: Halmosi

Subs: McCormick, Threlkeld, Bradley, Buzsaky, Friio, Sinclair, Trigger.

Manager: Ian Holloway

Seems barmy that the likes of Matthews, Coughlan, Wotton, Doumbe, Timar, Arnason, Nelson, Hartley, Sawyer, Purrington, McGlinchey, Capaldi, Worrell, Vyner, McHugh, Joe Bryan, Nalis, Adams, Gosling, Bobby Reid, Buster Phillips, Lameiras, Bolasie, Puncheon, Noone, Mayor, Reuben Reid, Gallen, Gallagher, Ebanks Blake, Hayles, Mackie, Mpenza....all would have to be left out.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
An L1 PO final would seem more the level.

If playing a Wycombe or Exeter dream team, probably be fine.

An aspirational rival like a Portsmouth or the Turnips, bit trickier, but better atmosphere and day out generally.

Aug 5, 2015
Can’t get over the number of people who would have Holloway manage this “team”. Personally I wouldn’t want the gnome from Bristol anywhere near an Argyle team even an imaginary one. What’s the matter with Sturrock. He was much much more successful and stayed for a considerably longer period of time.

Feb 25, 2008
GK: Larrieu

RB: Connolly
CB: Seip
CB: Bradley
LB: Bhasera

CM: Nalis
CM: Norris

RW: Sinclair
#10: Lameiras (controversial I know)
LW: Halmosi

CF: Wright-Phillips

Bench: McCormick, Timar, Wotton (versatility / penalty shootout / 120th minute free-kick), Buszaky, Friio, Carey, Ebanks-Blake

Manager: Luggy 1

Shame Sinclair and Halmosi's peaks never overlapped.

Aug 5, 2016
Kentishgreen":l3wqpnjc said:
Can’t get over the number of people who would have Holloway manage this “team”. Personally I wouldn’t want the gnome from Bristol anywhere near an Argyle team even an imaginary one. What’s the matter with Sturrock. He was much much more successful and stayed for a considerably longer period of time.

I always felt Holloway's Argyle team played with positivity and a spring in their step from the off.

I remember one game in the Championship when Argyle drew at home with Dennis Wise's Leeds, the season they went down. Argyle were pedestrian, played long ball football an didn't look like scoring, and neither did Leeds. Argyle were unrecognisable from the performances we had been used to at home despite having the usual players available. We were booting the ball up the pitch to no-one and doing all kinds of things the players didn't usually do. It turned out Holloway had been away for personal reasons and not present at the game, leaving Des Bulpin I think to take charge for the match.

It struck home just how important a manager's presence is on the way the team plays. The team talk, his presence, his energy - it is all evidently vital because one absence from the manager and it was noticeable.

Looking at Argyle now, there is no doubt that Ryan Lowe is the biggest personality at the club, the most charismatic, and the team wouldn't tick without him being around. Holloway was exactly the same.

In terms of leading a team out, creating a positive atmosphere and getting the maximum out of every player on the pitch, I don't see how you can feel that strongly against Holloway. His subs we usually good and made sense, and he won more games than he lost.

If he hadn't have gone and the board didn't dismantle his team, we would have been a fairly good bet for promotion that season.

What did Sturrock bring after he was hired a second time that was better than Holloway was doing before?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Knibbsworth":29a1653t said:
Kentishgreen":29a1653t said:

I always felt Holloway's Argyle team played with positivity and a spring in their step from the off.

I remember one game in the Championship when Argyle drew at home with Dennis Wise's Leeds, the season they went down. Argyle were pedestrian, played long ball football an didn't look like scoring, and neither did Leeds. Argyle were unrecognisable from the performances we had been used to at home despite having the usual players available. We were booting the ball up the pitch to no-one and doing all kinds of things the players didn't usually do. It turned out Holloway had been away for personal reasons and not present at the game, leaving Des Bulpin I think to take charge for the match.

It struck home just how important a manager's presence is on the way the team plays. The team talk, his presence, his energy - it is all evidently vital because one absence from the manager and it was noticeable.

Looking at Argyle now, there is no doubt that Ryan Lowe is the biggest personality at the club, the most charismatic, and the team wouldn't tick without him being around. Holloway was exactly the same.

In terms of leading a team out, creating a positive atmosphere and getting the maximum out of every player on the pitch, I don't see how you can feel that strongly against Holloway. His subs we usually good and made sense, and he won more games than he lost.

If he hadn't have gone and the board didn't dismantle his team, we would have been a fairly good bet for promotion that season.

What did Sturrock bring after he was hired a second time that was better than Holloway was doing before?

Integrity, honesty, trust.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
This is a tough one because there are players that are difficult to leave out. For the purposes of this exercise, I have ignored loanees. Here goes:-

Larrieu

Connolly
Coughlan
Timar
Bhasera

Norris
Nalis
Friio
Halmosi

Ebanks-Blake
Wright-Phillips

Bench: McCormick, Seip, Bradley, Buzsaky, Bolasie, Reid, Evans

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
3-5-2
Manager Sturrock

Larrieu

Ward
Coughlan
Bryan

Nalis
Judge
Halmosi
Friio
Buzsaky

Ebanks-Blake
Reid

Subs - McCormick,Bradley,Norris, Carey, Noone, Lameiras, Evans

Aug 5, 2016
I was close to going for Joe Bryan over Bhasera at LB. But I don't actually remember Bryan playing in defence for Argyle and only heard of him playing in defence after he left us. He was a quality left midfielder for Argyle though.