Anoraks 43 - for those who go for unique achievements | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Anoraks 43 - for those who go for unique achievements

Jan 11, 2016
An ex-Argyle player completes this group of five players - who is he?

Player 1

Not being selected to play Argyle once marked a turning point in my career but not too long after my mate and I had a great time in front of a big crowd at Home Park.

Player 2

I was a double winner and played at what seemed to be a packed Home Park, but when I looked in the papers I was surprised to see it was just a two figure crowd.

Player 3

I later won the League and the Cup but I was on the receiving end of a Wilf Carter hat-trick earlier in my career on a visit to Home Park.

Player 4

I was a double winner but that didn't count for much as my team were thumped by a magisterial Argyle performance reckoned by many to be their finest.

Player 5

?

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Is player 3 Ron Springett and player 4 Frank McLintock?

Sep 13, 2003
No 1... George Best ? Said to be not picked for the FA Cup tie at Old Trafford because he was the worse for wear. Soon after played for Fulham at Home Park. His mate ... Rodney Marsh?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
1. George Best. I was so disappointed he didn't play when I saw Argyle lose 1-0 at OT in the cup.
2. Jimmy Greaves?
3. Bill Brown, Tottenham keeper?
4. Frank McClintock, part of the QPR defence beaten 3 nil at Loftus road in 1974, the finest Argyle performance I have witnessed.
5. There is no clue? Am I just thick?

Jan 11, 2016
George Best is correct

Jimmy Greaves and Bill Brown are not right

N°5 is the ex-Argyle player you are looking for!

Look for something George Best and Frank McLintock have in common

Jan 11, 2016
Just for the record Jimmy Greaves was not a double winner but he did play in the match with the two figure crowd.

Jan 11, 2016
You've just about cracked it Lipsonlad67 although no-one has yet correctly identified Player 2 or Player 3

The answer is Tony Book and for a reason that you are obviously aware of and which should get you to the missing players.

Number 3 is not Jack Charlton but he had good reason to remember the game in which Wilf Carter got his hat trick!

Jan 11, 2016
Well done Lipsonlad 67 - all correct!

68 George Best
69 Dave Mackay and Tony Book
70 Billy Bremner
71 Frank McLintock

As far as I can see apart from being the only ex-Argyle player to be Footballer of the Year, Tony Book is also the only non-international to be chosen, although I'm happy to stand corrected on this one. 1969 was also the only year in which the award was shared - again as far as I can see.