New season with point deductions?

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Let's assume that:
a) this season is a write off with no promotion or relegation
b) the new season starts in August this year

I think that Bolton should start the season with the same point deduction. However, I'm less sure whether Macclesfield's deduction should apply.

I think they should, both as a deterrent and a punishment, but I could concede that as their misdemeanors occurred during the season which has been deemed null and void (assumption) their penalties also become void.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I just think the idea of the season being written off entirely is a total non-starter. If a match is abandoned, everyone who bought a ticket gets into the rescheduled fixture for free. They can't do that in this instance, so everyone has essentially paid to watch a load of friendlies for six months. If we're going to mess around with a season, let's make it 2020-21 rather than the one that's 75% finished.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Brussels Bureaucrat":lm60r1gv said:
I just think the idea of the season being written off entirely is a total non-starter. If a match is abandoned, everyone who bought a ticket gets into the rescheduled fixture for free. They can't do that in this instance, so everyone has essentially paid to watch a load of friendlies for six months. If we're going to mess around with a season, let's make it 2020-21 rather than the one that's 75% finished.

The point would be that the games would not be rescheduled. 2020-21 season would be a new season in it's own right rather than a re-run of 2019-20.

However, until they have even a vague idea of when matches can resume, it will be difficult to make any decision.

Jul 14, 2008
It would seem madness to me to prioritise next season which hasn’t started yet over this season which is 80% complete. Finish this season in October if necessary and then worry about how to complete next season separately

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
After WW2 ended after a full new season would have started, the authorities brought in a Football League (South) and (North). It did not count for anything but let people see some decent football. I would propose that we finish this season, even if it takes well into next season. We then have a "second class" season with the PL and Champonship each split into 2 and Leagues 1 and 2 split into 3 South, 3 Central and 3 North. We would then pick up with 2021-22 as a brand new official season. Far better to write off a season that hadn't yet started than one that's nearly done. Just s thought.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I tell you what, I have a feeling next season's ST's could be a challenge.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
memory man":miq7x310 said:
After WW2 ended after a full new season would have started, the authorities brought in a Football League (South) and (North). It did not count for anything but let people see some decent football. I would propose that we finish this season, even if it takes well into next season. We then have a "second class" season with the PL and Champonship each split into 2 and Leagues 1 and 2 split into 3 South, 3 Central and 3 North. We would then pick up with 2021-22 as a brand new official season. Far better to write off a season that hadn't yet started than one that's nearly done. Just s thought.
Let's not forget the GA are not solely from Devon & Cornwall
Our midweek away attendances are as much to do with Northern greens as they are with the local support travelling! For me a regional competition may as well it exist and if that is the case northern supporters should be offered ifollow at the same prices as the exiles abroad (not the RIP off Britain midweek prices) but I wholeheartedly agree next season should be the one sacrificed rather than this season's maybe only playing teams once next season either home or away with maybe 4 points and two points be available for an away win or draw and the standard 3 and 1 for a home win to even things out a little?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":3unhhgyy said:
I tell you what, I have a feeling next season's ST's could be a challenge.
E*eter's are on sale now. :) Trying to get some dosh to help them through the crisis:

Those up the road - Link

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
edengreen":1iy1mbcp said:
memory man":1iy1mbcp said:
Let's not forget the GA are not solely from Devon & Cornwall
Our midweek away attendances are as much to do with Northern greens as they are with the local support travelling! For me a regional competition may as well it exist and if that is the case northern supporters should be offered ifollow at the same prices as the exiles abroad (not the RIP off Britain midweek prices) but I wholeheartedly agree next season should be the one sacrificed rather than this season's maybe only playing teams once next season either home or away with maybe 4 points and two points be available for an away win or draw and the standard 3 and 1 for a home win to even things out a little?
Good thought - should have looked at that with my son living in Bolton!!

Mar 29, 2020
I reckon we should finish the season....who cares what month...as long as we all stay safe and well...

Oct 5, 2013
Seems likely to me that this season will be completed, and that there may then be only a very short break (maybe even only two weeks) before next season starts more or less on time, maybe in mid-August.
This would mean that this season would re-start around mid-June and finish by the end of July, and that the players are in effect currently on their extended break, perhaps until about mid-May, leaving a month as usual to get match-fit for the re-start.
Will certainly be intriguing to see what the EFL come up with.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I hope that behind closed doors isn't used. "We are in this together" is a phrase that has been bandied about this week but if football returns and I as a football supporter am not invited it will be more than disappointing.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":2hkcilt1 said:
Seems likely to me that this season will be completed, and that there may then be only a very short break (maybe even only two weeks) before next season starts more or less on time, maybe in mid-August.
This would mean that this season would re-start around mid-June and finish by the end of July, and that the players are in effect currently on their extended break, perhaps until about mid-May, leaving a month as usual to get match-fit for the re-start.

No way will the season start again mid June. Thats the earliest players could start training together again. I am increasingly pessimistic we can restart before August. Clubs already in promotion places go up and no relegation is the best option imo. Then start new season in Autumn. Other option is closed doors games but cant see EFL teams up for that.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Balham_Green":u1agui92 said:
philevs":u1agui92 said:

No way will the season start again mid June. Thats the earliest players could start training together again. I am increasingly pessimistic we can restart before August. Clubs already in promotion places go up and no relegation is the best option imo. Then start new season in Autumn. Other option is closed doors games but cant see EFL teams up for that.
Agreed. Sure, delay it as much as possible but there comes a point it you have to accept it can't be finished so you award the trophies & promotion/ relegation places based on the 75% . Yes, I know people will whine about games-in-hand etc. but it's simple enough to award average points accumulated based on all the other games so that everyone has then effectively played the equivalent (you could even factor in home & away averages and goals scored/ conceded). It would be much more easily understood than Cricket's Duckworth-Lewis thing that I bet no more than ten people on the planet have the faintest idea about. I think even the Rugby world cup had a match awarded based on average previous scores due to the typhoon if I remember correctly. poo happens - all you can do is deal with it based on the data & evidence you have.

Oct 5, 2013
Ave_IT":2bux6p62 said:
Balham_Green":2bux6p62 said:
philevs":2bux6p62 said:

Agreed. Sure, delay it as much as possible but there comes a point it you have to accept it can't be finished so you award the trophies & promotion/ relegation places based on the 75% . Yes, I know people will whine about games-in-hand etc. but it's simple enough to award average points accumulated based on all the other games so that everyone has then effectively played the equivalent (you could even factor in home & away averages and goals scored/ conceded). It would be much more easily understood than Cricket's Duckworth-Lewis thing that I bet no more than ten people on the planet have the faintest idea about. I think even the Rugby world cup had a match awarded based on average previous scores due to the typhoon if I remember correctly. poo happens - all you can do is deal with it based on the data & evidence you have.

Well it's certainly going to be interesting to see what the EFL comes up with.