3-5-1-1 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

3-5-1-1

Mar 14, 2009
Surely the solution to fit Cooper in the team is at a CAM position.

The forwards to me work hard but if you can’t hold the ball up with two upfront against a deep sitting team then surely swamping the midfield would allow you to try and play through the thirds of the pitch.

Cooper could support the LWB or RWB. He could have the freedom to use his passing range. It allows him to be on the pitch for set pieces.

Teams would find it harder to get the ball because Argyle would have a deeper, attacking midfield option. The centre halves wouldn’t know whether to pick up Cooper or not. If they do would allow more space in behind them.

I like seeing two upfront but if we continue to send the ball down the channels as we do we will struggle to hold onto possession in the oppositions final third.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I know Cooper makes a number of assists. but he also hits the first man and overhits crosses on a regular basis.

He is not the Mesiah.

Mar 14, 2009
Dreamgreen":2mf22vs9 said:
I know Cooper makes a number of assists. but he also hits the first man and overhits crosses on a regular basis.

He is not the Mesiah.

I understand.

Yet when he gets it right, it’s better than other options we have to either take a free kick or put in a cross.

As l’ve said before once we lost Baxter we then lost a player prepared to put his foot on the ball and control the tempo of the game. For a passing side to rely on people like a Sarcevic and Bakinson to pass the football around the pitch is only going to catch us out as we saw with mistakes today which resulted in Cambridge having very good opportunities off the counter attack. Sarcevic is a player you want on the end of things. Not actually starting them.

Mar 14, 2009
cheshiregreen":2siu5xn8 said:
Just wondered who you'd have as the one up front in this system?

If it was the Taylor of two seasons ago ld have him. As it’s not, (and assuming they are all fit) ld go with Telford. I know he is small but from what l’ve seen if you get the ball into his feet he seems decent.

I know people will say how will he hold up the ball but if your trying to play from the back we should be trying to play through the middle or down the flanks. Not down the channels, as we seemingly keep on doing with longer balls (although Lowe has denied this but since October/November seen it often at HP).

Mar 14, 2009
Dreamgreen":2s7wsx0b said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2s7wsx0b said:
I know he is small but from what l’ve seen if you get the ball into his feet he seems decent.

There's your first problem !

Well it’s currently an issue because today the front two, as keeps often happening, don’t get hold of the ball either.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Lowe has said many times that he will not change, it's plan A and nothing else and it's largely been successful so far.
The only small concession was around the time of the two Swindon away games where we played the ball longer into the channels and have been doing that ever since.
I do think a few tweaks during games would help, without going too far away from Lowe's philosophy.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":37stpfak said:
Lowe has said many times that he will not change, it's plan A and nothing else and it's largely been successful so far.
The only small concession was around the time of the two Swindon away games where we played the ball longer into the channels and have been doing that ever since.
I do think a few tweaks during games would help, without going too far away from Lowe's philosophy.

I think this is just a tweak. It keeps with the 3ATB philosophy.

I don’t think Argyle have played convincingly for a while. I know you won’t play “perfect” all the time but the opposition have been creating decent chances, especially on the counter attack. For most of it, like against Crewe, we have been getting some large chunks of luck. That luck won’t last forever, so we have to find a way to start performing more convincingly.

Unfortunately, like you said Lowe sticks to his philosophy and for the current group of players l don’t think the top 3 is achievable because the side lacks enough decent passers in the team and pace and power at the back. The RWB has been a issue all season that we haven’t solved.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Dreamgreen":qn9qqnfw said:

He is not the Mesiah.

Totally agree with this comment. Cooper can be extremely wasteful with his crossing and free kicks. I cannot for the life of me understand why Danny Mayor isn’t taking some of the free kicks we get around the edge of the penalty area. He rarely seems to get involved and it’s either Cooper or Sarce, neither of whom are that convincing with the deadball (except Sarce from the spot!)

Sep 2, 2006
Paignton
To be honest I have not seen a convincing home performance all season! (I have not been to any away games). We have scraped by some very poor league two sides and have been beaten by the better ones....(Swindon, Colchester and Exeter)
I’ve seen a lot of triangles around the left and right side of the 18 yard box, but 95% of the product produced comes to nothing. For example today the Cambridge keeper was forced to make one easy save!
Just not convinced all round and does not feel like a side that knows it is good enough to be promoted.