Jose Baxter | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jose Baxter

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Signs for Memphis FC in the states.

Really hope he does well & gets his career going again. Circumstances have led him elsewhere but I thought he looked a class act for us, anyone else who went to Crawley away will get that, controlled the game entirely.

Jun 27, 2019
Cobi Budge":3qx7i2s3 said:

Really hope he does well & gets his career going again. Circumstances have led him elsewhere but I thought he looked a class act for us, anyone else who went to Crawley away will get that, controlled the game entirely.

That's a poor standard of football - his career is now pretty much over moving there.

Makes me think he's running away from something because surely to god he's better than an American pub team.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
I don't agree.

A few months in the USA and he gets his game together... of course his career isn't over.

He may have to reassess his expectations however, and this is a good way of allowing that.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
WoodsyGreen":2w3kbrk7 said:
Cobi Budge":2w3kbrk7 said:

That's a poor standard of football - his career is now pretty much over moving there.

Makes me think he's running away from something because surely to god he's better than an American pub team.

Woodsy have you seen any games from this league I have seen many games, as I worked for the Ottawa Fury who played in the USL for the last 3 years. There are many players who play in the USL who have played in leagues all over the world also there are many players who are on loan from MLS or other leagues
The USL is considered as the #2 league in the US just behind the MLS
In a exhibition game the Ottawa Fury lost 1-0 to Glasgow Rangers before nearly 15000 fans.

Sep 13, 2003
Glasgow Rangers are one of the best supported clubs worldwide though. They could play in a basement carpark in Papa New Guinea and at least 10,000 would turn up.
Doesn't really say much for the standard though. Bradley Wright Phillips hasn't stopped scoring since he went to the MLS and there hasn't exactly been a deluge of European clubs waiting to entice him back to Europe.

May 16, 2016
Clarke_B":3v4bjxij said:
Glasgow Rangers are one of the best supported clubs worldwide though. They could play in a basement carpark in Papa New Guinea and at least 10,000 would turn up.
Doesn't really say much for the standard though. Bradley Wright Phillips hasn't stopped scoring since he went to the MLS and there hasn't exactly been a deluge of European clubs waiting to entice him back to Europe.

The standard might not be as high as some of the European Leagues but it's not as bad as some might think. Maybe Bradley Wright Philips enjoys living and earning where he is enough to stay there.

The MLS doesn't claim to be better than anyone else, it is what it is and it's still going and slowly growing in a controlled way. I read this morning of LA Galaxy making contact with Messi, a player a lot of Prem Clubs would covet. There's also more US Players in and around the better European Clubs than I realised.

The latest move from the MLS was Zlatan Ibrahimović, Man U - LA Galaxy - Milan, not bad for someone who had 'retired' to the MLS.

They might have a different and slightly manufactured approach to the higher level of their Game, but at least they're playing it at a level worthy of coverage, when you consider what it's up against, it's doing quite well.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Cobi Budge":250v5o6z said:

Changed the game when he came on for last 20 minutes at Swindon as well.Agree he looked a class act shame it didn't work out for him at HP

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Maybe the guy just wants to play some football and fancies living in the USA for a bit.
Why does it have to be more 'complex' than that? (e.g. 'running away from something')

Jun 27, 2019
The Doctor":23zmkri5 said:
Maybe the guy just wants to play some football and fancies living in the USA for a bit.
Why does it have to be more 'complex' than that? (e.g. 'running away from something')

It doesn't 'have' to be, I just think it might be.

It's hard to believe a player as talented as Baxter couldn't find a club in England after his spell with us. Yes he had injuries, but he was a class act and many fans were perplexed at the sudden nature of his departure.

Maybe you're right and he just fancies trying his luck in the States away from the English football bubble. Either way, he's had a tough few years personally and I hope he can find some peace over there.

C

Cult Of Personality

Really liked Baxter and wish he has played further forward. Had a lovely eye for a pass

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Cult Of Personality":1m1k8iw7 said:
Really liked Baxter and wish he has played further forward. Had a lovely eye for a pass
Agreed – must say I was gutted when he left. He just oozed class (to my eyes at least) – and seemed on a different level. One of the best moments of the season for me was a superb no-look pass he played after turning & angling his body to play it out wide which seemed the obvious option but instead dinked it perfectly for the striker (Telford?) while still looking at the winger …….ooooh! His troubles as a youngster are well documented – which is why he was playing in L2 otherwise I’ve no doubt he’d be playing at the very top level. His last appearance for us was as sub at Swindon and he was terrific and turned the game for us when he came on and I remember saying on the way home that he was going to be our star player for the rest of the season. So his sudden disappearance, apparently for injury, was strange as he seemed fine at the end of the game. Then prior to a later game Lowe spoke about injuries and how each was doing but didn’t mention him – then we heard he was leaving.

Aug 5, 2005
WoodsyGreen":oyrfmisv said:
The Doctor":oyrfmisv said:

It doesn't 'have' to be, I just think it might be.

It's hard to believe a player as talented as Baxter couldn't find a club in England after his spell with us. Yes he had injuries, but he was a class act and many fans were perplexed at the sudden nature of his departure.

Maybe you're right and he just fancies trying his luck in the States away from the English football bubble. Either way, he's had a tough few years personally and I hope he can find some peace over there.

Perhaps it's a chance for him to work with the Memphis Director of Football Tim Howard, who he would have known from his days at Everton.

Aug 5, 2016
Clarke_B":3iqeggjj said:
Surprised he got a US visa considering his cocaine abuse.

To be fair George W. Bush got elected President after a cocaine conviction, so it would he hypocritical to start caring about it now! Although I do agree with you and was shocked he got a visa.