Finley's Match report- Bolton Wanderers | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Finley's Match report- Bolton Wanderers

Oct 18, 2019
FA CUP 1st Round
Bolton Wanders 0 Argyle 1

By Finley Allen

Solid Argyle Performance All Round

I made the long journey to Bolton on Saturday through torrential rain and near freezing temperatures, more in hope than expectation, in terms of the result. None the less I was expecting a good performance following the Devon Derby defeat a fortnight ago. Argyle certainly lived up to my and others expectations as they produced what would be described as the epitome of a team performance, with Callum McFadzean’s 11th minute strike ultimately separating the two sides.

Bolton started the stronger of the two teams as they found a lot of space down the right as tricky winger Joe Dodoo tested the defensive capabilities of Argyle captain, Gary Sawyer.

After weathering the early storm, Argyle grew into the game with confidence and some excellent ink-up play between Byron Moore and the goalscorer. The ball was cutback to Joel Grant, who laid the ball off to McFadzean, his shot un-saveable, going through the palms of former Argyle keeper Remi Matthews.
McFadzean’s five goals in all competitions bettering any previous tally in his career to date, with his energy and good link up play paying dividends for Argyle this season.

As Argyle’s confidence continued to grow so did their fluidity, this forced Matthews into some typically smart saves from from Moore, Mayor and Joel respectively to keep the score at a minimum. The Greens saw the rest of the first half out well and for the first time this season were able to carry that through the game using good game management, something that has been lacking during the season so far.

The performances that stood out for me were those by Byron Moore and Josh Grant. The introduction of Byron Moore back into the starting 11 increased Argyle’s attacking fluidity as his lighting place and energy introduced something lacking in recent games. He was also able to hold the ball up well and brought others into play. Even late into the game he found the energy to pressure tired defenders. My second stand out performance was by Josh Grant who fitted into his new central defensive midfield role superbly as Joe Edwards moved out to right wing back. Josh received much criticism for two of the goals at Exeter, I hope he’s found his new position in the team with continued success.

The return from injury of Dom Telford is a massive boost to this Argyle Team. He and Billy Clarke helped see the game out for Argyle and with all strikers now fit, Argyle had the luxury of dropping Rangers loanee Zak Rudden from the squad, such is the quality of the current options.

Finally praise must go to the back three of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer who have received much individual criticism this season, but have started 9 games together, keeping 6 clean sheets. Hopefully they can build a reliable unit at the back, which Argyle have been missing since the days of Sonny Bradley and Zak Vyner.

Be sure to be glued to the TV for the second round draw on Monday. I hope this performance will now spur Argyle onto better performances, with a a difficult trip to top of the table Forest Green next weekend.

Jan 20, 2004
Thank you Finley, good read. Just goes to show if Argyle start well they go on to dominate.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
A very good summary. Interesting stat about 6 clean sheets in 9 games for a starting three of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer. I wasn't aware of that, and may explain why Aimson is not being picked.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Yes, Finley’s stat ( & Mike E’s observation) “partners” the fact that we have not conceded in any of our 9 wins yet, & have conceded in all other matches.

Apr 9, 2011
Excellent summary Finley. Agree entirely ref Telford & Moore the few glimpses we have had of them so far playing together we have looked an entirely different team. Lets just hope we can now keep them fit !

Sep 6, 2006
phil-thefluter24":dajbc0be said:
Excellent summary Finley. Agree entirely ref Telford & Moore the few glimpses we have had of them so far playing together we have looked an entirely different team. Lets just hope we can now keep them fit !

That may be so. But am not convinced they have many goals in them I'm afraid especially Moore. Missed another good chance on Saturday. Still remember the open goal he missed at Northampton!

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Balham_Green":1bqc2s9z said:
phil-thefluter24":1bqc2s9z said:

That may be so. But am not convinced they have many goals in them I'm afraid especially Moore. Missed another good chance on Saturday. Still remember the open goal he missed at Northampton!

Moore has certainly missed a few this season and when Telford is fully fit I would like to see him up top with Joel Grant, who has been very good upfront, and Moore given a go at RWB. Obviously defensive capabilities may be in question but has pace to burn and would be a real attacking threat down the right.