Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Older fans may remember Gary Mabbutt ex Bristol Rovers and Tottenham Hotspur defender who was also Type 1 Diabetic.He went on to have a long career at Tottenham and played for England.He was an inspiration to youngsters with Type 1 diabetes everywhere.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Seems to have gone a fair old time for someone who relies on fitness and has regular medical tests etc.
Do they not do blood sugar tests on footballers?
Hopefully they'll get it sorted out and balanced and he can carry on feeling stronger than he has been.

Theresa May had it of course, so it doesn't preclude you from stressful situations/jobs.

Glad it is diagnosed and now he'll really get the right help.

All the best Niall.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Hell, just goes to show doesn't it? He's an athlete and must have been one hell of a shock.

Good luck Niall, these days it's far far better than it used to be. There's even an app now that means he can avoid pricking his thumb 7 times a day or whatever it is.

Aug 10, 2006
my daughter has been type 1 since she was 7 she came with in hours of losing her life before it was diagnosed if you control it properly you can still live a normal life, they have made great strides even in the last 12 years she has had it, steve redgrave also has type 1 and how many gold medals has he won, all the best niall.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
As a Type 1 diabetic for the last 35 years this has obviously struck a cord with me. In that time treatment has improved immeasurably not least in the management and monitoring of the condition which can even now be done by smart patch and recording on your I-Phone. It doesn’t do away with the injections though! However, whilst it introduces a measure of discipline in your life most are still able to lead a normal life or even still excel at the top as Sir Steve Redgrave did or have to perform under extreme pressure and responsibility as Theresa May did.

Niall will have the best of medical support and as a result will be more in tune with his body. The NHS in Plymouth and in particular the Consultants at Derriford provide fantastic resources and care and with the support of the Club I am sure Niall will continue to play an important part in the Club’s fortunes. I wish him well.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Been kind of public knowledge for a while, since being diagnosed he’s now a ambassador for Fuel Catering.

As a fellow type 1 diabetic, I can sympathise with him with the daily struggle he will have at first but he will get use to it and I’m sure he will be in good hands for treatment etc.

Also good of the club to do a feature on him regarding this story.