Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Cheltenham Town
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter

Countdown to Cheltenham

Wednesday

Scott Oldham is the referee for the game, he has issued 20 yellow cards in seven games this season and his only previous occasion in charge of an Argyle game was in January last season for the 1-0 defeat at Wycombe.
He will be assisted by Robert Dabbs and Mark Derrien while the fourth official is Sam Allison.

Argyle and Cheltenham have met in 21 games, Argyle have won 11, drawn four and lost six, although at Home Park the Robins have won just once in nine games.

According to Sky Bet the Pilgrims are favourites to win the game at 19/20, a Cheltenham win has odds of 13/5, while the draw is on offer at 5/2.

Jon Palmer, football writer at Gloucestershire Live, has kindly agreed to a Q & A to give Pasoti users an insight into Cheltenham Town, many thanks to Jon ....
Q: What are your thoughts on Cheltenham's summer transfer business?
A: Based on the opening nine games, it's been a successful summer of recruitment. Cheltenham have brought in four loan players, who have all made a positive impact. They also made six permanent signings, of which only defender Charlie Raglan has been a regular in the starting XI. Reuben Reid, who Plymouth fans will know extremely well, is recovering from knee surgery and due back in November. Rohan Ince has made only one appearance so far due to injury and suspension, while Tahvon Campbell, Dan Bowry and Jonte Smith are all battling to force their way into the side. The squad is certainly stronger than it was last season, despite being significantly smaller.

Q: What are your views on manager Michael Duff?
A: Duff is doing an exceptional job, one year in. He has completely transformed things both on the pitch and the culture and atmosphere off it. The players enjoy playing for him and many of those he inherited have shown a marked improvement under his tutelage. He has a deep connection with the club, having spent eight successful years there as a player and two of his ex-team mates, assistant manager Russell Milton and goalkeeping coach Steve Book, were already on the staff when he returned. He has forged a close-knit group, who expect the highest professional standards of each other.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Cheltenham in a stable state at the moment?
A: Yes, the club has been extremely well run in recent years. They did have a wobble in 2008/09, making an £800,000 loss and flirting with administration, but they recovered well and have learned valuable lessons in the decade since. They do not spend beyond their means and they have been helped by bonus cash from the recent transfers of two former players, Luke Thomas from Derby County to Barnsley and Marlon Pack’s move from Bristol City to Cardiff City. These two deals could net the Robins more than £800,000 in total, so they are in a stable financial position.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for the Robins this season?
A: Most people would have settled for a solid mid-table finish after three successive relegation battles since returning to the Football League in 2016. The start has already raised expectations, but Duff is adept at keeping his players grounded and they will certainly not be allowed to get carried away at this early stage. They are playing some outstanding passing football at home and picked up their first away win of the season at Salford City last Saturday, so it’s all looking positive and I would expect a top half placing at least.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Cheltenham likely to use against Argyle?
A: It’s no secret that Cheltenham’s upturn in fortunes last season came after a switch from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 in October and they will certainly be lining up in that shape at Home Park. They keep it on the floor and try to play attractive football most of the time, but they are also dangerous from set pieces and have good height throughout the team. Plymouth-born Ben Tozer’s long throw-ins are a useful weapon too.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: They are regarded as a big club for League Two level and one that will always be expected to be challenging for promotion to League One, if not the Championship, based on fan base and the catchment area they have. There have been some good battles between the two clubs since Cheltenham first entered the Football League in 1999. Cheltenham were well beaten by Ryan Lowe’s Bury at Gigg Lane last season and Danny Mayor stood out as the best player in the division. Cheltenham they claimed a draw in the return match after their improvement during the second half of the campaign. Lowe did a fine job at Bury and most people will be expecting his new club to be right up there this time around.

Q: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: Cheltenham have been solid away from home this season, conceding two goals in four games. They have won their last three matches to climb to third and will arrive at Home Park in confident mood. However, Plymouth are a formidable prospect at any venue and I think most Robins fans making the trip to Devon would settle for a point. I will go for 1-1.
-----------------------------------------

Thursday

Cheltenham manager Michael Duff talks about Saturday's game ....
"We are going to a big club at this level in League One last year.
"They've got a manager who got the team out of the league playing really good football, got them playing the same way with a lot of new players who haven't quite clicked yet.

"I would expect them to be in and around it when the season finishes because watching the game from the other night they could have been three of four nil up against Crawley at one point.

"They look like Ryan is starting to get his ideas across and in Danny Mayor - I'm repeating myself from last year - he's the best player in the league.
"We know what to expect from them. I don't think Ryan is going to come away too much from what is a winning formula because you look at what happened last year.

"Big club, big ground, good squad, tough game. We need to focus on how we can influence the game from our point of view."

Full pre-match interview with Michael Duff .... Gloucestershire Live

Target Travel are the match sponsors ...club website

Legendary keeper Romain Larrieu is the half-time guest.

Friday

Former Argyle youth prospect and current Cheltenham captain Ben Tozer reveals the Argyle result is still the first one he looks out for.... Gloucestershire Live

Inside Cheltenham Town

Ryan Lowe talks about Cheltenham manager Michael Duff ....
"Duffy has done a fantastic job. We played against him last season and had two good games when he had just come in.
"His style of play is similar to ours. He wants to try and play, out from the back and through the thirds.

"He has got a good group of lads. He has put his stamp on it now, hence that’s why they are doing well.
"There was no question that he would because he’s a football man himself. He had a great career in the game.

"But, look, it’s only early days. Duffers will say the same thing. Yeah, they are in third but it’s nine games in, so I don’t think he will be getting too carried away.
"He will obviously have his worries about us, the same as we will have our worries about them.”

Match preview .... Cheltenham club website

Two legendary Argyle keepers Romain Larrieu and Geoff Barnsley will be special guests at Home Park on Saturday.... club website

Cheltenham's form

The mascot on Saturday will follow his mum who was a mascot at Home Park in 1992 .... club website

Saturday

Matchday information

Home Park awaits...

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
phil-thefluter24":1reo6hqy said:
I see Moore out injured again. Pity as he is not getting a decent run

Agreed. Thought he looked lively against Crawley..

Oct 20, 2015
5 points from last 5 games. Bang mid-table after nine games. Crisis? What crisis?

I'll keep banging this drum but the pretty, attractive football isn't getting us up the league. Sounds like Cheltenham are playing in a similar way and are no mugs, that might be why they're third and we're not.

No Mayor on Saturday either. Definitely take a point from this one, a win would be great but we're still too porous in defence and erratic in attack, IMO.

Any guarantees that iFollow isn't going to crumble this weekend?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
The Doctor":1f4utgqo said:
No Mayor on Saturday?
Have I missed something?

I’ve not heard that either. Although he is one booking away from a suspension.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Opposition View: Plymouth Argyle vs Cheltenham

"At home we have been dynamic – creating chances and being ruthless when they have come along. The style of football has been exciting and entertaining with 15 of our goals coming at home.

The next thing we need to try to do is replicate that football away from home. We have been resilient on the road but without the same panache we have seen at home."

Dec 3, 2005
JannerinCardiff":1so732wj said:
The Doctor":1so732wj said:
No Mayor on Saturday?
Have I missed something?

I’ve not heard that either. Although he is one booking away from a suspension.

Not heard anything regarding Mayor not being available.

Where did you hear that from?

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Saw an interesting stat yesterday that we have created the second most chances from open play and set pieces in the league. Think it will click today.

3-0. Mayor, Aimson and Telford with the goals.