Playing out from the back | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Playing out from the back

A

Andy1Pilgrim

This is my first post, i am an avid backseat reader but thought i would give it a go.

First of all I am a massive fan of the brand of football that Lowe is trying to develop at Argyle and believe that it will take patience from us to let him develop it.

There has been a lot in the press these last few weeks about some frail defences in the Premier League with the likes of Arsenal dropping points at the weekend and Man City whilst missing Laporte. There has been challenge that you can only play this way if you have the right talent that is capable of it. You should play to the strengths of the players you have at your disposal.

Are we kidding ourselves that its possible to employ these tactics with our current back 3?

I think it will take patience as the team work on the patterns of play required to beat the press that 90% of teams we play will now deploy against us. We are also bound to concede silly goals through the season and will need to outscore the opposition which will be tough when in my opinion we are missing a devastating No9 capable of goals week in week out.

I am a positive person and continue to have faith and live in hope that we can work our way through this, we will have to be behind the boys though and be patient. I am still hopeful we can find ourselves in the play off places at the end of the season.

COYG - Fingers crossed for 3 pts tonight :greensmile:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I think just as important as having the right defenders that can play the ball out of defence is also to have mobile quick forwards who can exploit opposition defences who employ a pressing game to try to stop teams playing out from the back. Liverpool do this with Mane and Salah who are both quick who use the extra space between the last defender and GK to good effect - it’s obviously different levels in terms of skill but we should be able to employ the same tactical principles with Telford and Joel Grant/Byron Moore.

Only my view tho.. I’m sure RL knows how to get the most out of his tactics.

Dec 16, 2004
But giving the ball to Canavan or Wooton ( not sure about Grant ) is they don't really want it. They are not comfortable with it. They really just want to get rid of it upfield ( as per last season ).

We don't have a Vyner or a Nelson.

We don't have the players for that system atm.

Combine that with lack of finishing instinct up front and we are basically all midfield. I sense that Lowe sees it this way but (particularly the defensive issue ) doesn't have many options.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I’ve always thought that Canavan looks very comfortable on the ball (far more than Wootton or Sawyer) and some of his forward passes, especially those long diagonal ones he plays to a winger hugging the touch line are really good. He’s also okay in their air in general play. But he does seem to have a knock of switching off/losing his man at set pieces.

Jul 3, 2013
Canavan is fine apart from the fact he looks like he is competing in dressage when he runs!

Aimson will be a big difference and I wouldn't be suprised if he is in the team for the rest of the season as of tonight barring injuries or suspensions.

12 nil tonight

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Just trying to think, but have we actually conceded any goals this season as a direct result of a mistake whilst playing out from the back, as Arsenal did at the weekend? I’ve been to every home game but none away, but thought most of the goals we have conceded have been through poor defending of crosses.