Apr 3, 2013

The Countdown to Crawley Town

Crawley Town
Official website
Ground guide
Fans forum
Twitter

Sunday

For the fifth league game this season it's another first year referee for an Argyle game. After being promoted from the National League David Rock has officiated in five games this season, showing 14 yellow cards and one red.
The assistant referees are Andrew Aylott and Matthew Lee while the fourth official is Mike Desborough.

Crawley stadium guide

Crawley sit in 8th place in League Two, level on points with the teams in 6th and 7th places, winning four, losing two and drawing two from the eight league games played so far. At home Crawley have won three games and lost one.

Highlights of Crawley's home win against Mansfield Town on Saturday .... You Tube

Monday

The Pilgrims have played Crawley just six times, the first of these was a defeat in 2011, since then Argyle have won three games and drawn two.

Sky Bet have placed Argyle at 6/4 to win, a Crawley win is ranked at 13/8 and a draw has odds of 23/10.

Journalist Alain Harper at The Crawley Observer/Sussex Newspapers has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into Crawley Town, many thanks to Alain:
Q: What are your thoughts on Crawley's summer transfer business?
A: Extremely good, in fact I would say brilliant – some excellent signings to strengthen the squad – the like of Bez Lambula – scoring goals for fun, centre backs Jordan Tunnicliffe and lately Jamie Sendles-White, midfielder Nathan Ferguson. We still have two players to come into the side that look very exciting as well that joined in the past two weeks.

Q: What are your views on manager Gabriele Cioffi?
A: He had a very challenging year coming in when Harry Kewell though that the grass was greener in Nottingham – but he has now been able to bring in some of the players he wanted and they have had a pre-season together and supporters who were called for his head earlier have now been backing him – so far this season so good.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Crawley in a stable state at the moment?
A: We are probably better off than most, we do have a foreign Turkish owner in Ziya Eren, he took over 3 years ago and it’s been a steady growth and building something for the future. He gave an interview before the recent home game saying that he was here for the long term and really enjoying the experience of owning an English team. He is certainly backing the manager this season and his aim is to progress up the divisions and improve the clubs infrastructure in the long term.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for Crawley this season?
A: A difficult one – we have been the Betting Fraternity dead certs for relegation for the past few seasons and we have proved them wrong as we are still here – we have had a great start and if the team can keep the momentum who knows where we will finish at the end of the season – hopefully close to the playoffs – but definitely not a relegation battle.  We have also won some cup matches which we hadn’t over the past 5 seasons, going out in the first round every time.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Crawley likely to use against Argyle on Tuesday?
A: I’m not going to answer this one – but will say that we will certainly be going for a win. It’s the only way this team plays.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: You have had a, what I would say as a mediocre start, with your new manager and summer signings we would have expected you to be up towards the top of the League – that  said I think that you will be there or there about at the end of the season, hopefully below us.

Q: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: I don’t usually predict score lines as I’m always wrong – but I will go for a Crawley win – is going to be an open game and if we play to our strengths then we could see plenty of goals.
---------------------------------------------

Crawley looking for a play-off place ... West Sussex County Times

Crawley issue a statement regarding smoke canisters and pyrotechnics in the stadium ... club website

The game is available on iFollow in the UK.

Tuesday

Crawley stats

According to the Transfermarkt website the Crawley squad is valued at ÂŁ1.96 million while the Argyle squad is worth ÂŁ3.24 million.

A guide to the People's Pension stadium ...Away Games

A yellow card for Danny Mayor in the Crawley game will be his fifth league booking of the season and will result in a suspension for Saturday's game against Cheltenham.

Ryan Lowe looks ahead to the game ...
“Crawley are doing fantastic. Their manager has gone in and cleared out a lot of players, so we know it’s another tough place. It will a number of hours on the road again for us.
“Crawley, we know, will be a tough ask but we’re going there to win.”

Match preview.... Crawley club website

Crawley looking for a play-off place .... West Sussex County Times

UK subscribers can watch the match on iFollow for ÂŁ10 ....

Inside Crawley Town

Pay on the day is available at ÂŁ20 for an adult.

Crawley Head Coach Gabriele Cioffe talks about the game ....
"Plymouth have a new coach and a lot of different players. It can take time for a new squad to gel but they have the quality in their squad for sure.

"I expect them to challenge at least for the play-offs if not promotion. They have a manager who got promotion last season and that experience will help Plymouth for sure. So we have to be prepared for a very difficult game."

Sep 25, 2010
Why do you say first year referee. It gives the impression that he had just started.

I know Rickie, and he has been refereeing for over 15 years, at a high level.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Martyn":zfpj17ae said:
Why do you say first year referee. It gives the impression that he had just started.

' ......... it's another first year referee for an Argyle game. After being promoted from the National League ...'

It is his first year at EFL level.
It is the first time he could referee Argyle as we are an EFL team.
Last year he refereed in the National League.
No-one said that it was his first year as a referee and that, last season, he wasn't a referee. Did they? :think:

He seems to have gone down well in the Crewe vs Cambridge match with both Managers knocking on his door to complain!! :lol:

Sep 25, 2010
Pogleswoody":2rrc6016 said:
Martyn":2rrc6016 said:

' ......... it's another first year referee for an Argyle game. After being promoted from the National League ...'

No-one said that it was his first year as a referee and that, last season, he wasn't a referee. Did they? :think:

He seems to have gone down well in the Crewe vs Cambridge match with both Managers knocking on his door to complain!! :lol:

It is not his first year at EFL level, he has been a linesman for over 5 years at EFL level.
For the last 5 years he referred at National league.

It just gives the impression that they have got somebody off the street to ref.

Managers complain about everything.

Mar 8, 2016
Pretty sure the last time I checked a linesman is different to refereeing the match? I also wouldn’t be surprised if he performs like he’s been picked off the street, judging by the refs I’ve seen so far this season.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Martyn":gaeary2q said:
Pogleswoody":gaeary2q said:
Martyn":gaeary2q said:

It is not his first year at EFL level, he has been a linesman for over 5 years at EFL level.
For the last 5 years he referred at National league.

It just gives the impression that they have got somebody off the street to ref.

Managers complain about everything.
One thing is for sure, if he officiates at Home Park, he will get at least one 10.

Dec 3, 2005
Sadly Argyle are in the BOTTOM League of the EFL - this is where Referees from the National League get promoted too.

They will have to prove themselves in the 2nd (4th) division, just like Argyle will.

Obviously IF we were in the Championship and were given a Referee just promoted from the National League - we MIGHT have something to winge about.

Mar 5, 2012
And moving on from the ref to the opposition,....

I'll be there Tuesday as this is my nearest away fixture of the season.seems to me, if we can stop LUBALA scoring and get one ourselves we've got a chance of some points and stay in the mix.

Another loss however and I fear that we are are going to be giving ourselves a lot to do in the latter part of the season.

Hopefully aimson will get a start and we can have a new look, more responsive back line, who can compliment Palmer between the sticks and our front 5, to give us a fighting chance.

Apr 5, 2008
First game for me this season,so hoping we can win,really need to step it up now,the lack of clear cut chances created against Port Vale is a worry.Cant afford to pick up zero points in this one.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Trying to take positives from the Vale game, it was good to see Baxter play 90 mins - though is he yet fit enough for two games in 4 days? He's quite a classy player though.

Telford as well was lively when he came on too, probably due a start.

The defence is a massive concern. Would it be reckless to change shape to 4-3-3 after a lot of work on 3 at the back? Unfortunately Wootton and Canavan aren't really cut out for football, so if Aimson's fit does he get chucked in a two with Grant? Or keep the shape and bring Sawyer back into the back 3? There's plenty to ponder for Lowe, hopefully he can get it right.

Dec 3, 2005
IF fit Aimson must start - using two or three of last years defence is NOT working.

Sep 6, 2006
Am curious why everybody is so concerned with the defence when the attack has scored 1 in last 3 away games and that by a right back!

Aug 11, 2013
Afraid to say that I predict a 2 or 3 goal defeat ...

think we’ll fair ok at home ... but away from home with this defence I think we’re gonna struggle until something can be done in January !