Just Back | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Just Back

Sep 2, 2008
No sign of a 'Just Back' so thought I'd start one off with a short report from my Vale mate..I wasn't there myself. 'It wasn't a shock win mate. We outplayed you on the day. You never even tested our keeper. We were unlucky not to get 3 and thats not including the denied penalty. Anything less than 3pts for Vale would have been undeserved!' Sounds as if we didn't penetrate at all.

Apr 5, 2008
Luckily the games are coming thick and fast at the moment so hopefully not enough time to dwell too much on this result and instead concentrate on beating that powerhouse in football,Crawley Town on Tuesday next week.

Need to step up our game and quickly!

Sep 2, 2008
He also said that Mayor was getting frustrated, giving away fouls and he believes got carded because he was outplayed which caused his frustration.
Teams obviously know what Mayor is about and probably spend a bit of time on the training ground coming up with ways of nullifying him. I imagine that as Mayor is always played on our left then the right side of opposition teams get drilled which makes me think that could a simple change of side after 20 mins free him up a bit. I can't imagine the opposing teams left sides would have been drilled to defend against him and Fadz. Or is that too simple :think:

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Well, I went.

Thought we were better team especially first half but, failed to take chances created. 2nd half we let Vale back into it.

Mayor was fouled throughout the game. Need people with goalscorers instinct to get on end of things. We had good spell pressure before they scored but didn't capitalise - one off line, Mayor pass across 6 yard line not attacked.

Disappointing result - we need to be more ruthless in front of goal.

Edit - Byron Moore not a LWB and George Cooper disappointed. Too left footed to come on at RWB. Thought Sarcevic struggled to get involved until latter part 2nd half.

Still over playing at back with risky short goal kicks. Need to get result Tuesday or the early season positivity will be gone.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Not blaming the ref for the defeat but I had forgotten how bad the refs in L2 are.
In first 15 minutes Mayor was hacked down 4 times cynically and with intent; the ref didnā€™t bat an eyelid. Yet when Mayor committed his first foul he was booked straight away.
There was some sort of Karma as Vale were forced to make 3 substitutions in first 30 minutes- all of them self inflicted. They were going down all over the pitch and the physio was on the pitch for 10 mins at least. Added time? 4 minutes!! They took that long to remove themselves from the pitch- which was never at the nearest point.
Ref stopped play for an offside decision when we had a quick break on and ignored the blatant dive from their 9 when he was looking for a penalty.
Enough about the ref- ...
We are genuinely a work in progress. All opponents know we win very few headers inside our own box and it was only a matter of time before we conceded in that way. We switched off completely at their free kick when we were preparing for our own substitution.
We then made a double substitution and ended the game with Moore, Telford Grant and Rudden on the pitch which totally threw us out of shape and we looked more likely to concede another than get one back.
Moore went close when he should at least have hit the target. Taylor and Moore failed to gamble when Mayor played a great ball across the 6 yard box. Josh Grant had a header cleared off the line. That was a prolonged period of pressure after Telford came on for Taylor. Taylor was too predictable and easy to defend against; Telford was more mobile and ran at the defence causing panic and creating space for others.
We didnā€™t capitalise on that period of pressure and paid the price.
I would be surprised if Aimson is not picked for the next game- I donā€™t know what heā€™s like in the air but I am sure Lowe trusts him not to switch off as Canavan did for their goal.
Talking before the match we concluded that the squad had strength in depth but that brings its own problems when everyone is fit.
Edwards was an upgrade on Riley on the right but his cover in front of the defence is not something Baxter can match. Sarcevic showed well and almost scored from a quickly taken free kick from the half way line- but would Cooper be more effective overall? I donā€™t know & I donā€™t think Lowe does either..... yet

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Pottypilgrim":1nqw5iho said:
No sign of a 'Just Back' so thought I'd start one off with a short report from my Vale mate..I wasn't there myself. 'It wasn't a shock win mate. We outplayed you on the day. You never even tested our keeper. We were unlucky not to get 3 and thats not including the denied penalty. Anything less than 3pts for Vale would have been undeserved!' Sounds as if we didn't penetrate at all.
I was there and whilst didnt deserve to win, we should have at least got the draw if Canavan and Wootton did their job and marked people.

I would say that we were the better footballing team but once again, the passing out from the back was far too slow and all too often the person receiving the ball was closed down and just passed it sideways or backwards, so we lacked any real penetration.

A slow, tippy-tappy team were beaten by a stronger, quicker team, albeit a lesser footballing side. But it's all about results in the final analysis.

Pott Vale were a better 4th Division team than us in that they were quite physical. Their RB should have had a red card for his knee-high assault on Mayor.

We can't keep saying we are a work in progress, that argument is wearing a bit thin now. All our slow passing is occasionally effective but we are not winning games.

I realise Aimson has had a serious injury but he has to play now. Canavan is absolutely woeful and embarrassment as the central defender in a back 3 trying to play the ball out where he gets so much of the ball which he is so obviously uncomfortable with.

Moore is not a central striker and was pretty ineffective.Taylor was also pretty ineffective, beaten most times by their big CB. Baxter is slow and still does not look match fit. Mayor tried hard to no avail. We gave the ball away so many times which didnt help either.

Apart from a header off the line by a defender, their keeper had a fairly easy afternoon and that is a worry.

We look slow as a team, just like we did last season. I can't understand why Sarcevic starts but Cooper is only brought on to try and rescue a point. We need more attacking impetus.

Perhaps Lowe isn't quite as positive as we all thought.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
bringonthemilkman":1iy6xtjq said:
Not blaming the ref for the defeat but I had forgotten how bad the refs in L2 are.
In first 15 minutes Mayor was hacked down 4 times cynically and with intent; the ref didnā€™t bat an eyelid. Yet when Mayor committed his first foul he was booked straight away.
There was some sort of Karma as Vale were forced to make 3 substitutions in first 30 minutes- all of them self inflicted. They were going down all over the pitch and the physio was on the pitch for 10 mins at least. Added time? 4 minutes!! They took that long to remove themselves from the pitch- which was never at the nearest point.
Ref stopped play for an offside decision when we had a quick break on and ignored the blatant dive from their 9 when he was looking for a penalty.
Enough about the ref- ...
We are genuinely a work in progress. All opponents know we win very few headers inside our own box and it was only a matter of time before we conceded in that way. We switched off completely at their free kick when we were preparing for our own substitution.
We then made a double substitution and ended the game with Moore, Telford Grant and Rudden on the pitch which totally threw us out of shape and we looked more likely to concede another than get one back.
Moore went close when he should at least have hit the target. Taylor and Moore failed to gamble when Mayor played a great ball across the 6 yard box. Josh Grant had a header cleared off the line. That was a prolonged period of pressure after Telford came on for Taylor. Taylor was too predictable and easy to defend against; Telford was more mobile and ran at the defence causing panic and creating space for others.
We didnā€™t capitalise on that period of pressure and paid the price.
I would be surprised if Aimson is not picked for the next game- I donā€™t know what heā€™s like in the air but I am sure Lowe trusts him not to switch off as Canavan did for their goal.
Talking before the match we concluded that the squad had strength in depth but that brings its own problems when everyone is fit.
Edwards was an upgrade on Riley on the right but his cover in front of the defence is not something Baxter can match. Sarcevic showed well and almost scored from a quickly taken free kick from the half way line- but would Cooper be more effective overall? I donā€™t know & I donā€™t think Lowe does either..... yet

Because of VAR in the Premier League this season it looks like refs are being fast tracked and promoted up the leagues.
VAR needs a ref sat in a studio so in effect the PL is using the double amount of refs.
Today against Port Vale we had our fourth ref this season who is in his first season as an EFL ref after being promoted from the National League.
Against Crawley on Tuesday we will have another first year ref.

I suppose they have to start somewhere.

Sep 6, 2006
moles40":v7h8cief said:
Luckily the games are coming thick and fast at the moment so hopefully not enough time to dwell too much on this result and instead concentrate on beating that powerhouse in football,Crawley Town on Tuesday next week.

Need to step up our game and quickly!

You dont want games coming thick and fast when you are losing! More time on the training ground would be better.

Aug 10, 2006
Pottypilgrim":2mh2o58g said:
so you never went to the game so whats the point of starting a just back thread you should have callled it just heard.

Jul 12, 2004
Well I was there and it was not very impressive. lets first establish a fact. seven of the starting line up were new signings this year so continuing to try and lay blame on previous managers is beginning to wear thin.

We started well and looked full of purpose but we could not do anything incisive in the last third. I don't think we had a corner until the second half. Palmer, in particular, was trying to be positive - not just with throw outs but with Jordan Pickford type long balls. If the centre backs have nobody showing for them then they cannot be blamed for going long.

Taylor was struggling and it was no surprise that he was the first player substituted but then we had no target man at all so had to play through midfield and we were no good at that.

We probably did enough for a point, but no more, Then the goal and the final two substitutions. Adams used to get a load of grief for his but putting Byron Moore at left wing back surpassed all them. We suddenly lost any penetration down the left where we had a bit before with McFadzean and Mayor but that was the match gone.

Even more disappointing was the attitude after the goal. I thought that many players had accepted the result and knew little would happen in the remaining minutes. To me this was extremely disappointing and the manager has a major job on his hands.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 26, 2006
Leon Legge their dominant number 5 showed us exactly what we are missing and kept our front line quiet no matter who was up there.

We were the better team in the first half although Vale making 3 subs in a relatively short period of time due to injuries meant there were very disjointed, but we must be more clinical, to me the final pass seems rushed. The second half wasnā€™t quite as fast paced as the first but once Port Vale scored they seem to gain a yard all over the pitch and looked more likely to score again. Palmer was far the busier keeper and our back 3 looked nervous and jittery.

I fear we are becoming slightly predictable with Fadz and Mayor being our outlet time and time again and once teams stifle that we struggle.

Sep 6, 2006
Bubba":2kl9etpk said:
Leon Legge their dominant number 5 showed us exactly what we are missing and kept our front line quiet no matter who was up there.

We were the better team in the first half although Vale making 3 subs in a relatively short period of time due to injuries meant there were very disjointed, but we must be more clinical, to me the final pass seems rushed. The second half wasnā€™t quite as fast paced as the first but once Port Vale scored they seem to gain a yard all over the pitch and looked more likely to score again. Palmer was far the busier keeper and our back 3 looked nervous and jittery.

I fear we are becoming slightly predictable with Fadz and Mayor being our outlet time and time again and once teams stifle that we struggle.

Slightly predictable. Thats an understatement Bubba. Worrying thing today was Vale had 3 injuries first half and still had enough to get past us.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
loyal1970":2jwn7qwi said:
Pottypilgrim":2jwn7qwi said:
so you never went to the game so whats the point of starting a just back thread you should have callled it just heard.

Especially when it sounds like your Vale mate doesn't have a clue what he's talking about...

Oct 20, 2015
Some recurring themes:

- Playing pretty football in middle third of ground
- Mayor's ego is easily punctured; opposition targets him for the wind-up
- Baxter, Cooper, Aimison haven't justified their fanfare introductions
- Still Wootton and Canavan letting us down at the back

I can see this experiment going very wrong. It's hard to be a footballing side when confidence is low. Need some back to basics defensive training, maybe shift to 4/5 at the back.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
slingsby_pobble":3ewcgbbu said:
Some recurring themes:

- Playing pretty football in middle third of ground
- Mayor's ego is easily punctured; opposition targets him for the wind-up
- Baxter, Cooper, Aimison haven't justified their fanfare introductions
- Still Wootton and Canavan letting us down at the back

I can see this experiment going very wrong. It's hard to be a footballing side when confidence is low. Need some back to basics defensive training, maybe shift to 4/5 at the back.

Too simplistic, playing 4 at the back wouldn't have stopped that goal yesterday or many others we've conceded this season. Defenders have got to do their basic job of defending.

He's got to stick with his philosophy and somehow eradicate the errors.