Club site posting an Advert as "Club News". Lawful? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Club site posting an Advert as "Club News". Lawful?

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
I see that the club have posted a Club News article which actually appears to be an advert for the energy drinks/foods that the club are using. As it's not Club News, and is labelled as Club News, does this not breach the Advertising Standards regulations? I know that the club are very anxious not to breach Regulations with the Mayflower Grandstand Safety Certificate coming up.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
It's against the regulations if you complain to the ASA and they agree with you.
If you have the time and inclination to complain, and they uphold your complaint, it will be removed - in about a month's time!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
It's news to me as I didn't know what they were using.

May 22, 2006
Technically that's spam, so we should report it to twitter and get their account suspended.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I was about to complain to the ASA but, frankly, I can't be bothered, I just don't have the energy.
If only there was some drink or foodstuff that I could take to get my energy levels up. Any ideas anyone? :think:

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Ham Green":1wyu9h1n said:
Technically that's spam, so we should report it to twitter and get their account suspended.
Well if it is spam I hope they don’t fritter away any profits that they receive :greensmile:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Argyle Nutter":2bcyk881 said:
Ham Green":2bcyk881 said:
Well if it is spam I hope they don’t fritter away any profits that they receive :greensmile:

Well I think online jokes about spam are uncalled for :coat:

If Ham Green had been in the Spice Girls would his nickname have been Spam? :think:

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Pogleswoody":1tydqbvv said:
Argyle Nutter":1tydqbvv said:
Ham Green":1tydqbvv said:

Well I think online jokes about spam are uncalled for

If Ham Green had been in the Spice Girls would his nickname have been Spam? :think:
Possibly but if HE was in the spice GIRLS he’d have been a lucky man ;)

( Que the snowflakes castigating me for sexist comments)

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
What is 'news' has been in doubt since the early 1980s when it was deemed acceptable to put "Who shot JR?" as the first item on the BBC news.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
jimsing":3vzxzx8o said:
Who cares?????????

Obviously Southampton Green.

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
It’s just a Society thing. If business is allowed to slip in subliminal advertising or present adverts that hide that they are adverts by pretending to be something else, we start to live in a different society where ultimately the rich and powerful can manipulate everyone else. It’s the basis of a Liberal Democracy, and why the rules are there. Small steps that erode a liberal society mean extremely little in themselves, as in Argyle presenting a feature on the supplier of our energy drinks that is really an advert for the supplier if you watch it with an open mind, but ultimately if we (the club) financially benefit from the News Feature (either because the club get cheaper energy drinks because we ran the news story that is really an advert, or the supplier has paid us to run this advert pretending to be a News Story) then the club is trying to manipulate the people watching the News Story. Just a basic point really, but it is intellectually wrong to allow extremely small wrongs to pass by if they can become really big wrongs if everyone was doing it.