Lopsided Argyle | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Lopsided Argyle

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
So, with Josh Grant at LCB, McFadzean at LWB and Mayor pulling the strings down the left side of midfield we really look a threat down that side of the park and judging on what I've seen of Grant he improves the defensive aspect of the left side of the pitch.
What to do with the right hand side though?
Will Aimson play down the right of the 3 centre halves when fit?
Will Cooper improve the attacking quality going down that side (he looked capable in his short cameo yesterday)?
And the big question is at RWB. Can Moore be any worse than Riley was yesterday? It already looks like that will be the area they need to strengthen in January unless one of those 2 can pull something out of their arse and I cant see it.. Riley looks totally uncomfortable in that role, his end product is woeful and he visibily let his head drop yesterday which isn't acceptable. Although I believe he has the pace to get to the byline and cover that wing he seems to lack the conviction to do so... At one point even Scott Wootton went on the outside and was the furthest forward down that side. He also seemed reluctant to bust a gut to get back.

Oct 21, 2005
plymouth
We signed a natural goal scoring RB in the summer in Edwards and I wrongly presumed that he would play RWB, take a look at his YouTube videos !

I admit he has been a revelation in the holding midfield role adequately replacing Fox but we need to address the right side if we are ever going to stop the ā€˜work in progressā€™
excuse.

Stick him out wide and let young Randell step up in Midfield either that or play Baxter deep and get Sarcevic back in midfield where he belongs.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Aimson played at RCB for Bury and according to Lowe often pushed forward, so it looks like Aimson will replace Wootton when fit, Wootton could move across to replace Canavan.

Byron Moore played as a RWB for Bury so when Joel Grant and Dom Telford are fit Moore could replace Riley.
Sarcevic returning on that right side will also help, Conor Grant and Baxter haven't really seized their chance in the absence of Sarcevic.

Once all the above happens we'll look must better and stronger on the right side. This week is the first without a Tuesday game so Lowe has a chance to work out a few issues on the training ground.

As a side issue Riley is playing through the pain barrier due to an arm injury so he's not fully fit.

jerryatricjanner

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
?? So when you see an athlete run or jump their arms are redundant are they?

Mar 14, 2009
There is one other issue.

Look at how wide Mayor gets with McFadzean. Look at how close both are in play to each other. Then look directly on the other side.

Riley doesnā€™t have that same level of support. Thatā€™s to me is the real issue as well as Riley not being good enough.

Watch very carefully the left side next time Argyle play. Itā€™s more fluid. Then look at the right. Wootton is too slow with the ball. Riley comes deep for him. When he has it there is no options but to play inside.

What was happening was at times one of the forwards would make a run into the channel. Wootton would play the ball down the sides but very rarely would that work. Even when it did the gap in support between Riley and a forward was too big.

Personally, lm not sure why with the two forwards we donā€™t move one of them to the right side to help Riley. That way you giving more balance to part of the team that is currently not functioning. You still have one forward who can play more centrally.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
PL2 3DQ":umidoir3 said:
Aimson played at RCB for Bury and according to Lowe often pushed forward, so it looks like Aimson will replace Wootton when fit, Wootton could move across to replace Canavan.

Byron Moore played as a RWB for Bury so when Joel Grant and Dom Telford are fit Moore could replace Riley.
Sarcevic returning on that right side will also help, Conor Grant and Baxter haven't really seized their chance in the absence of Sarcevic.

Once all the above happens we'll look must better and stronger on the right side. This week is the first without a Tuesday game so Lowe has a chance to work out a few issues on the training ground.

As a side issue Riley is playing through the pain barrier due to an arm injury so he's not fully fit.

I thought Baxter looked class yesterday. Heā€™s still not fully match fit, but when he is he will be an ever present in my opinion.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I'm not sure an arm injury can be used to excuse that abysmal sand-wedge cross into the keeper's welcome hands

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Metal_Green_Mickey":3lc8yx61 said:
There is one other issue.

Look at how wide Mayor gets with McFadzean. Look at how close both are in play to each other. Then look directly on the other side.

Riley doesnā€™t have that same level of support. Thatā€™s to me is the real issue as well as Riley not being good enough.

Watch very carefully the left side next time Argyle play. Itā€™s more fluid. Then look at the right. Wootton is too slow with the ball. Riley comes deep for him. When he has it there is no options but to play inside.

What was happening was at times one of the forwards would make a run into the channel. Wootton would play the ball down the sides but very rarely would that work. Even when it did the gap in support between Riley and a forward was too big.

Personally, lm not sure why with the two forwards we donā€™t move one of them to the right side to help Riley. That way you giving more balance to part of the team that is currently not functioning. You still have one forward who can play more centrally.

Good analysis.
Cooper did start to create a more fluid attack down the right when he came on, encouraging Riley to overlap.
Trouble is when he did he completely fluffed the final ball.
McFadzean on the other side drilled two low crosses when he overlapped resulting in a goal and a borderline disallowed goal.

Apr 1, 2017
If the current defensive problems carry on I'd like us to change the system and return to a flat back four.
That would see Canavan and Wootton binned, grant and aimson as our centre half pairing.
We could then accommodate cooper and sarce in midfield along with mayor and Edwards.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
up_the_line":3fb3u76j said:
I'm not sure an arm injury can be used to excuse that abysmal sand-wedge cross into the keeper's welcome hands

I didn't say it was but his injury must play on his mind.

Mar 23, 2008
PL2 3DQ":2lxyhesv said:

Some good options there. My hope is Aimson is a dominant CB as that's what this team needs. Canavan is built like a solid CB but too timid in his play and also his lack of vocal organisation. Agree Sarc will walk straight back in the team and like the idea of Byron Moore at RWB when we have other fit strikers.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pointblank":30pdpt0y said:
We signed a natural goal scoring RB in the summer in Edwards and I wrongly presumed that he would play RWB, take a look at his YouTube videos !

I admit he has been a revelation in the holding midfield role adequately replacing Fox but we need to address the right side if we are ever going to stop the ā€˜work in progressā€™
excuse.

Stick him out wide and let young Randell step up in Midfield either that or play Baxter deep and get Sarcevic back in midfield where he belongs.
Edwards is doing an excellent job as a central defensive midfielder. It would be a mistake to move him from that crucial position and replace him with the inexperienced Randell.
However, Randell is young enough and fit enough to adapt to the role of RWB. I would like to see him tried in that position in the U23 Premier Cup game against Yeovil on Thursday evening.

Feb 12, 2017
Having just three at the back is always risk, but not if itā€™s the CORRECT back three and we donā€™t have that yet.

The OP was correct about us being lop-sided with the left side being abundantly stronger than the right. McFadzean and Mayor are an absolute joy to watch playing together and their link up play is mesmerising. I tipped Fadz to be one of our finds of the season and Iā€™m pleased to say I think thatā€™s one I got right for once!

I donā€™t know what the answer is on the right, several posts on this thread suggest some good options. My thoughts, and this with the current formation, when all fully fit would be:

Palmer
Cooper, Aimson, Josh Grant
Conor Grant, Baxter, Sarcevic, Mayor, McFadzean
Telford, B.Moore

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
SteelCannon":q56jf9pg said:
Having just three at the back is always risk, but not if itā€™s the CORRECT back three and we donā€™t have that yet.

The OP was correct about us being lop-sided with the left side being abundantly stronger than the right. McFadzean and Mayor are an absolute joy to watch playing together and their link up play is mesmerising. I tipped Fadz to be one of our finds of the season and Iā€™m pleased to say I think thatā€™s one I got right for once!

I donā€™t know what the answer is on the right, several posts on this thread suggest some good options. My thoughts, and this with the current formation, when all fully fit would be:

Palmer
Cooper, Aimson, Josh Grant
Conor Grant, Baxter, Sarcevic, Mayor, McFadzean
Telford, B.Moore

You'd leave out Edwards and play a RW at CH? Odd.