Apr 3, 2013
The countdown to Newport

Newport County
Official website
Ground guide
Fans forum
Twitter

Wednesday

Peter Wright is the referee for Saturday, he was last in charge of an Argyle game in February last season for the 1-0 win at Peterborough United.
The assistant referee's are Grant Taylor and Kevin Howick while the fourth official is Ollie Williams.

Due to a rugby World Cup warm-up game taking place in Cardiff between Wales and England on Saturday afternoon Welsh-based Pasoti members are recommending leaving the M4 at junction 23A and follow the A4810 to Newport to avoid traffic congestion.
Bridge tolls into Wales have been abolished.

Argyle fans have bought all 1,030 tickets allocated for the game; no more tickets will be available. Newport have stopped selling online tickets in the home stands.

According to Sky Bet Argyle are favourites to win with odds of 2/1, a Newport win is placed at 5/4 and the draw is on offer at 11/5.

Away fan guide for Rodney Parade .... Newport club website

Away fan guide .... Away Games

Away fan friendly pubs - Excelsior Institute on Corporation Road, the Godfrey Morgan (Wetherspoon) on Chepstow Road and in the city centre there is the John Wallace Linton and the Queen's Hotel, both a 10-15 minute walk from the stadium.
Inside the stadium away fans have use of a bar at the top of the Bisley stand.

Former Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony, now a free agent, is training with Saturday's opponents Newport County and he bids to keep fit while searching for a new club.

Thursday

Two Newport fans have kindly agreed to give us an insight into their club.
Brendan.
Q: What are your thoughts on Newport's summer transfer business?
A: County lost Butler, Poole and Day in the summer. Regan Poole being on a season long loan. They will be difficult to replace. It would be unfair to comment on those brought in. Most people can research Wikipedia and give a view. To do so this early in the season on that basis is silly. Against Mansfield in the opener I thought all the new signings on show seemed comfortable.

Q: What are your views on manager Mike Flynn?
A: He has done very well. His first two months was the 'great escape'. We were gone and he somehow turned it around. As a motivator he is first rate. Newport play some very attractive football, which after years of hoof and chase is a relief. Inexperience can sometimes show, but he is only two years in to his managerial career.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position for Newport this season?
A: We won't struggle. My gut feeling is we are a little light of a team to promote a serious challenge. Mind you I thought that last year and we made the play-offs. And the result at Gillingham does tend to suggest our squad may be deeper than last season. Between 6th and 14th, my quesstimate 12th.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Newport likely to use against Argyle on Saturday?
A: God knows what formation. If teams allow us to play we can be very good, get stuck in press and pump over crosses and we can fold. Which is probably true of 80% of League 2 sides.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Please forgive me for this. Plymouth is a big city. You also have much of rural Devon and Cornwall as a catchment area. Finally you have a fantastic stadium. What the f@ck are you doing in League 2. (I should add I am as blunt about Newport County and this seems to upset some people so sorry if any of your readers are annoyed.

Q: Do you have any tips for Argyle fans for pre-match pubs, car parking etc?
A: Parking. You could try driving down the Malpas Road and within half a mile of the ground you'll find free street parking. However I think just use the city centre car-parks. Not expensive and five minutes walk to the ground.
As for pubs. Newport has plenty of those. Despite what you might hear Newport is not quite the Dodge City some like to think. Use a bit of common and the dick-heads are easy enough to avoid.

Q: And finally - a prediction for Saturday's game?
A: I'll go for 1-1 but no result would surprise me. We gave a full strength Manchester City side a good run for their money last season and beat both Leicester and Middlesborough. We also lost at home to Yeovil 6-0. Quite.
Hope this helps. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip ruined only by defeat in the football.

Neil
Q: What are your thoughts on Newport's summer transfer business?
A: The squad seems a little bit stronger than last season , where we finished in the play offs. We still lack a creative midfielder who can control the game.

Q: What are your views on manager Mike Flynn?
A: He is about at his level. He can be tactically naive sometimes stubborn even. Very rarely does he have a plan B if things are going against us. Sometimes shows too much loyalty to certain players when there are better options in the squad.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position for Newport this season?
A: 10th-12th place finish with a cup run of 4th round in the FA Cup,( assuming we get a decent home draws ,) 3rd round of the league Cup..I can see us beating West Ham kids and stiffs..Q/F of the League Trophy

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Newport likely to use against Argyle on Saturday?
A: 4- 4 -2 relying on the full backs to push forward to create chances / crosses for Matt and Amond. Labadie will be booked in the first 10 minutes is an almost guarantee.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Should have the league tied up with 5 games to go..Mansfield , Swindon and Exeter to be your main challengers.

Q: Do you have any tips for Argyle fans for pre-match pubs, car parking etc?
A: Plenty of pubs within 5 / 10 minutes walking distance of the ground in the City Centre. Same with parking/ Parking close to ground in side streets is controlled and marshalled. Use the multi storey car parks near Friars Walk shopping Centre...5 minutes walk from ground

Q:And finally - a prediction for Saturday's game?
A: 3-1 to you.

Newport manager Michael Flynn looks ahead to the game ....
“Plymouth have already sold close to 1,100 tickets and we’re looking forward to it.
“We should be on two wins already but we’re not, we’re on two.
“But if we go and win on Saturday, we’re a point behind Plymouth and they’ve had a fantastic start.”
According to the Transfermarkt website the Argyle squad is valued at ÂŁ2.84 million while the Newport squad is worth ÂŁ1.49 million.

Michael Flynn has become involved in a war of words with Gillingham boss Steve Evans who branded Newport a long ball team following their Carabao Cup game on Tuesday .... South Wales Argus

A guide to Newport County

Newport's Carabao Cup second round game against West Ham United at Rodney Parade will be screened live by Sky Sports.

Friday

The Argyle supporters coaches will depart earlier on Saturday at 9.30am .... club website

Joe Riley talks about Saturday's game .... club website

Ryan Lowe talks Newport manager Michael Flynn ...
“Flynny has done a fantastic job there. He has been brilliant for them.
“He has recruited well in the past couple of seasons since he has been there on probably a limited budget I would say.
“He has got them to the play-offs last season. I was gutted for them but also pleased that Tranmere ended up going up.

“Flynny is a good, up and coming young manager who is probably destined to go to bigger things, but he has got a good job at Newport.
“We know he has recruited well again this year, he always does.

“He’s a good character, he’s one of the good lads who’s in it for the right reasons and we know Newport are going to be a tough task to get round.
“We will do our homework on them. We have got all the stuff we need on them, and they will have the same on us.
“We are going there to look to take some points, the same as they will be looking to take points off us.
“We have different styles of football maybe, but he’s a good lad.
“First and foremost, when you have got good lads as managers, I think you will always go a long way.

“We have got to go there with a game-plan and worry about us but, yes, there will probably be a lot more grass on it than there would be at the end of the season, which is good.
“We are not taking anything for granted. We know it’s going to be a tough ask."

Match preview ... Newport club website

Michael Flynn would like a big crowd at Rodney Parade tomorrow .... BBC

Argyle fans are advised the refreshments bars in the away end at Rodney Parade are cashless, no money will be accepted and is credit/debit card only.

Michael Flynn talks about Argyle .... Newport club website

Everything you need to know

Saturday

All about Newport ... club website

Ryan Lowe has an almost full squad to select from, Joel Grant, Will Aimson and Calum Dyson miss out ...club website

Expected Argyle line-up ...

Aug 4, 2011
Site Manager":25168jyy said:
The countdown to Newport

According to Sky Bet Argyle are favourites to win with odds of 2/1, a Newport win is placed at 5/4 and the draw is on offer at 11/5.

Newport are the favorites using those odds, although better odds are available on both teams

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
Just had a look at their forum and it seemed that their manager was not taking last night cup game too serious and made nine changes. He apparently told the supporters not to waste their money going to Kent. However they won on penalties and drew West Ham in the cup. Clearly they have a decent squad so it well be a tough game.

I always enjoy looking at other teams fan forums and quite impressed with Newport County's.

Apr 26, 2016
Ryan Lowe (Bury) didn't have to much success against Newport last season 1-1 draw at home and 3-1 defeat at Newport so
hopefully Ryan can change that this season, could be a cracker both teams / clubs on a high.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Good to
Play them early on their pitch imo, it’s been known to cut up in the winter months with the ground being shared by Newport Gwent Dragons rugby team.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Ah, Newport. Last time we were in this division we seemed to play them eight times a season and it was always 0-0. I remember one particularly dire game on a Tuesday night in midwinter where neither side created a chance. So it was particularly poetic that we went up in such swashbuckling style against them. They're a much better team these days though (having watched the L2 playoff final they were very unlucky not to have been promoted) so this will be a good examination of where we are. Another win and another clean sheet and we really are looking good.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
davegreenarmy":2lrghoq3 said:
Which pub are people primarily headed to?

I’d like to know this also..

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Brussels Bureaucrat":yw0gx8dd said:
Ah, Newport. Last time we were in this division we seemed to play them eight times a season and it was always 0-0. I remember one particularly dire game on a Tuesday night in midwinter where neither side created a chance. So it was particularly poetic that we went up in such swashbuckling style against them. They're a much better team these days though (having watched the L2 playoff final they were very unlucky not to have been promoted) so this will be a good examination of where we are. Another win and another clean sheet and we really are looking good.

That game was the FA Cup replay, awful game, freezing cold with fog coming in during extra time. We had a pen in extra time that Garita took the ball of Carey for an managed to hit the post. Carey scored a penalty shortly after that and off to Anfield we all went!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was very near the BT Sport people and they wanted to call that game off.

Dec 13, 2004
Radio travel news reporting 1hour delay at Exeter ad 1.5 at Tiverton On M5 Northbound hopefully the team coach is not caught up in the delays.

Aug 16, 2019
Hi all, Newport fan here. Just to let you know that the Excelsior Club is welcoming for all away fans and all travelling supporters will be greeted with open arms. I know a couple of years ago when you were in League 2 last, you brought an impressive amount into the club. For a club our size it was most welcoming.
We don’t serve food but by all means you can bring food in with you as there are plenty of food establishments near by.
Safe journey tomorrow and I hopefully look forward to seeing some of you in the Excelsior Club.