Floodlights, and Pitch Size. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Floodlights, and Pitch Size.

Jun 25, 2019
First off, 50 year old newbie saying hello. 'hello'

Wondering if when the Grandstand is complete the Floodlights on the Lamp Post in the corner of the Mayflower/Devonport will be taken away and we will have proper lights on top of the Grandstand? It's a small thing but that Lamp Post irks me a bit.

And secondly, after looking at Webcam 1, I notice the side of the Pitch looks a bit rough, perhaps our new Manager is looking to make the Pitch bigger (expansive football and all that) after Derek Adams made it smaller?

Also I hope the Club attack the side 'screens' of the other Stands with a jet washer, those plastic panels look filthy.

Fresh Team, Fresh Manager, Fresh Home Park.

Jul 21, 2013
The floodlights will remain as they are, none are being fitted to the new grandstand.

The Astro turf usually gets cleaned up around the edges nearer to the start of the season too, to give the clean lines.

And it seems like all of the Perspex will be getting a power wash from a professional company on the ‘day of action’ coming up :)

Jun 25, 2019
Thankyou for the Information.

Shame about the Floodlights, that Corner looks out of place with the Lamp Post, but then we can't have it all i suppose.

One Day perhaps when / if the Corners are filled in with Seats or Safe Standing Terraces.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Pretty certain JonB said on the grandstand forum that the Devonport End would be getting a set of lights the same as the Barn Park roof, to replace the current pole.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Just a little (true) anecdote about pitch size. When Glenn Hoddle went to manage Chelsea, they were about to prepare plans for their new stand. Hoddle said he wanted a more expansive game with wingers so wanted the pitch about 2 metres wider. As a result, the proposed stand was moved back. The club had plans to build and sell (expensive) houses behind the stand but no longer had the room so cancelled the arrangement. They put the footings in for the stand, the point of no return, and a few weeks later, Hoddle left to mamage England. So he cost the club tens of millions of pounds. Clubs should be wary of the whims of temporary staff.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That is interesting, but the actual pitch at HP was never shortened, widened or changed in any way.

It was literally just the markings, the white lines brought in a metre.

Dec 21, 2015
Hummm and here was me thinking the pitch was the bit of grass between the white lines

If so the PITCH was reduced in size

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
TonyD":nqnsfg9c said:
Hummm and here was me thinking the pitch was the bit of grass between the white lines

If so the PITCH was reduced in size

Oh, not this again! :facepalm:
I think Biggs's point is that we could increase the size of the pitch without moving the stand back or making anyone homeless!!
The potential area for a maximum size pitch is there, the choice to mark a smaller pitch on that area is/was available.

I presume that the pitch area available for Chelsea to mark out a maximum size pitch was not there. Stupid idea if true. So I put Hoddle right. You could build less houses on the area behind but you wouldn't make so much money so you abandon it and blame a local football manager!! :whistle:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Jeez, I've opened the can of worms again :lol:

To be clear, there's a difference between the literal grass pitch itself and the white lines of the pitch dimensions.

We (and loads of clubs every season) changed the white lines of the pitch dimensions, we didn't change the grass or astro turf of the actual pitch.

May 28, 2019
i noticed while having a gander at cam 1 of the goings on of the day of action, at the devonport end, the goal is up and i reckon its a good 4 or 5 feet closer to the devonport end

May 26, 2015
greybeard-kernow":60lcwe7r said:
i noticed while having a gander at cam 1 of the goings on of the day of action, at the devonport end, the goal is up and i reckon its a good 4 or 5 feet closer to the devonport end

I will be delighted if this is true.

I hope, also, that the width between the side lines i.e. the width of the actual playing surface is similarly restored to the pre- Adams era i.e. to the proper pitch width, so as to allow us to return to expansive and attractive football, close up to the fans.

Better style of football, on a bigger pitch, close to the fans and the atmosphere they generate - what could be more simple? who could disagree?

May 28, 2019
RochdaleGreen":gak3qw48 said:
greybeard-kernow":gak3qw48 said:

I will be delighted if this is true.

I hope, also, that the width between the side lines i.e. the width of the actual playing surface is similarly restored to the pre- Adams era i.e. to the proper pitch width, so as to allow us to return to expansive and attractive football, close up to the fans.

Better style of football, on a bigger pitch, close to the fans and the atmosphere they generate - what could be more simple? who could disagree?
have a look see what you think.enlarge it to full screen https://www.pafc.co.uk/development/webcams/webcam-1/ last season the team would warm up in front of devonport end behind the goal line , where the goal is now its impossible

May 26, 2015
Thanks greybeard-kernow. Looks promising, but it is hard to tell if the goalposts have been fixed in this position.