Starting XI | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Starting XI

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
It's going to be exciting watching this continuing to take shape over the next couple of weeks.

Currently, in Lowe's preferred 3-1-4-2 formation;

GK Cooper*
CB Aimson
CB Canavan*
CB Sawyer
DM Edwards
RWB Smith-Brown
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB J.Grant*
CF Taylor*
CF Jephcott*

Beyond the GK position, where obviously we need a second option, I can see another CB coming in to challenge Canavan or Sawyer for their starting position, possibly a left wing back, although Smith-Brown could switch sides and Riley could come in and be a good option on the right, or could Conor Grant be the answer there? Midfield looking ok, although beyond the starting 3 in the middle there is only really C.Grant as a senior option, so one more as back-up (or to challenge Sarcevic for a start) should be the target. Upfront is where I think we need 2 new options. Taylor has been a shadow of his former self since his injury troubles, Dyson has shown no evidence of being ready to step up, and Fletcher, Jephcott and Lolos are all immensely promising, but still largely unproven. What money on Dom Telford and Caolan Lavery arriving?

Apr 30, 2017
I think the starting XI, at the moment, would be as follows:

Michael Cooper*
Will Aimson
Naill Canavan*
Gary Sawyer
Joe Edwards
Joe Riley
Antoni Sarcevic
Danny Mayor
Ashley Smith-Brown
Ryan Taylor*
Alex Fletcher*

I can see a new Goalkeeper replacing Cooper, and a Striker replacing Fletcher for sure. I think both Canavan and Taylor will be important players under Lowe, but both could be replaced initially with others.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Connor Grant seems to have been forgotten....

Perfect LWB based on his cameo at a higher level last season if he can get/stay fit?

Sep 19, 2015
GK - Cooper*
RCB - Aimson
CB - Canavan*
LCB - Sawyer
RWB - Smith-Brown
LWB - C. Grant
CM - Edwards
CM - Sarcevic*
CAM - Mayor
CF - Taylor*
CF - Fletcher*

* - Fighting for position or expecting to be replaced in my opinion.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Personally I think Sarcevic will thrive under Lowe, Under Adams his position was messed about so much he was in no mans land, I see Edwards to be a replacement for Fox/Ness leaving Sarce more able to play the support role

Mar 14, 2009
Every season you think someone will do well, but they don't, whilst you write others off before the season starts and they surprise you.

Conor Grant, from what I have seen, looked quality at LB. However, under Lowe we may see him thrive even more centrally. The thing with C Grant is his range of passing. I noticed the more players he has ahead of the ball given him passing options the more comfortable he looks. He really did start to gel with J Grant for a spell last season.

I think ASB is techincally very good. I am convinced he isnt a defender though. Would be intrigued to see him play higher up the pitch.

I am intrigued to see what happens with Riley and Moore. Lets not forget Lowe played with attacking wide men in the wing back positions. Nicky Adams is definitely not a full back by trait. So what is going to happen with these full-backs we have?

I think we need more pace down the spine of the team. Up front now without Lapado we need someone quick to replace him and stretch the opposition. At the back we need I think someone too to compliment other defenders who dont have that pace.

I'm curious to see where Sarcervic and J Grant might be within Lowe's system. J Grant looked so good before he got injured. Sarcevic is a frustating character. So inconsistent and looked lost under Adams system at times.

My real intrigue is how League Two reacts to us. They have seen Lowe now for a season. Would have seen his system and his style of play. There will be less of a "surprise" element I feel. I do wonder if oppostion managers will exploit the space behind the wing backs, if thats the way we play.

I am imagining some teething issues at the start but very excited to see who emerges out of shadows under Lowe. Hopefully some of the youngsters will take their opportunity when it comes around.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
So what do we still need?

GK
A versatile/cover CB
CM
Wide attacker
CF

5 players?

3 permanent with 2 loans?

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Tugboat":3lggb2f8 said:
So what do we still need?

GK
A versatile/cover CB
CM
Wide attacker
CF

5 players?

3 permanent with 2 loans?

Assuming he bought Edwards to play MF and he will adopt a similar formation to that at Bury, then I think we are pretty covered in midfield.

My priorities would be a GK, DF and ST. Then replacements for any of the current crop who he decides to move on.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
pafcprogs":1yts3u3i said:
Connor Grant seems to have been forgotten....

Perfect LWB based on his cameo at a higher level last season if he can get/stay fit?

I’m totally with you on that.. Conor Grant did indeed look very impressive at LB.. he’s also got a very good set piece delivery. For me Conor Grant he starts all day at LWB in Lowes new attacking formation.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
PlymouthCasual":3ncfhzbz said:
GK - Cooper*
RCB - Aimson
CB - Canavan*
LCB - Sawyer
RWB - Smith-Brown
LWB - C. Grant
CM - Edwards
CM - Sarcevic*
CAM - Mayor
CF - Taylor*
CF - Fletcher*

* - Fighting for position or expecting to be replaced in my opinion.

I agree with all of that apart from the strikers.. like you said possibly to be replaced/fighting for place.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Sarcevic is certainly an enigma. If he gets properly fit and loses some timber I think we will have some player on our hands. What was our best single performance in the last two or three years? The one that springs to my mind is beating Blackburn at HP when they were going well and not surprisingly ended up in the automatic spots. Sarcevic was simply fantastic in that game - he was non-stop, ball winning with driving forward box-to-box runs and some terrific passing – he really bossed the midfield that game. If he can do that against one of the best sides in L1 then why can’t he be a dominant force in L2? But other games he was anonymous and just seemed to lumber around aimlessly. I don’t think it’s an attitude problem …. So if the measure of a good manager is getting the most out of the players at your disposal then Sarcevic should be seen as real opportunity for Lowe to give us a top quality midfield player without spending an extra penny in transfer fees or wages.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Ave_IT":3ews5pwg said:
Sarcevic is certainly an enigma. If he gets properly fit and loses some timber I think we will have some player on our hands.

Biggest myth ever that Sarcevic is overweight/out of shape. Go look at the pictures of him from the boxing session, he’s absolutely shredded.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Walked past Sarcevic last week, he's looking mean and in fighting trim

As for Sawyer, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he doesn't make the squad match days.