✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
The 86 year old played for Argyle from 1953 to 1962 playing a total of 259 games and scoring 46 goals. Thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Peter.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ad astra Pilgrim. :cry:

peteranderson.jpg

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I recall him well from my first days of following Argyle. A local chap, who made good in the second tier of the Football League with Argyle. A good crosser of the ball and would have served Wilfred Carter with a lot of goal scoring opportunities in his day.
R I P Pilgrim

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
He and Harry Penk often switched wings, which caused chaos in opposing defences. Scored a hat-trick in the 6-4 win at Doncaster in October 1958. I think he broke his leg in front of the dug-out in the mid-fifties.

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
Before my time as a player but I had the pleasure of getting to know him when we worked in the dockyard together. A true gentleman who was always great company.

Aug 2, 2011
davie nine":yy9gwhx0 said:
Peter Anderson, Johnny Williams, Wilf Carter. Those were the days!!!
RIP Peter Anderson.

Spot, also George Kirby, Jimmy Macneary, Dave Mclaren, Tony Book and several more.
RIP Peter and thanks.

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
I knew Peter very well. He lived near me in a Council house in North Down Crescent. I remember a few times walking with Peter to Home Park on a match day. It took us approximately 20 minutes. No flash cars in those days. Peter was just a local lad playing for his local club. He was one of life’s good guys very friendly, and unassuming. RIP Peter Anderson, you will be sorely missed, by all those who knew you.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Remember him well also. What a great team as I recall. Peter on one wing, Bugsy Malloy on the other. Carter, Gould, Kirby, Fulton, Fincham,Newman, along with others already mentioned. Peter was also my regular postman for many years on retirement.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
plymouthboyuk":149i7mw5 said:
I knew Peter very well. He lived near me in a Council house in North Down Crescent. I remember a few times walking with Peter to Home Park on a match day. It took us approximately 20 minutes. No flash cars in those days. Peter was just a local lad playing for his local club. He was one of life’s good guys very friendly, and unassuming. RIP Peter Anderson, you will be sorely missed, by all those who knew you.

Great to hear testimonies such as these. Makes you realise how much the game has changed.

RIP Pilgrim

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I learned of Peter's passing yesterday when I received a call from Harry Penk's wife Barbara. Famous for their wing switch, Peter and Harry were lifelong friends. Along with Johnny Williams, Peter Anderson was undoubtedly one of the best locally- produced players of the post-war era. Comfortable on either wing, later in his career he played in the inside left "schemer" role. Born in North Prospect he later moved to North Down. During an extensive interview in 2008 Peter told me how grateful he was to Fred Uglow, his sports teacher at Ford Secondary Modern. As a youngster he was something of a prodigy and at 14 was playing in the Devon Wednesday League and by the age of 15 he was starring for Oak Villa in the Plymouth and District Premier Division. He played in the same 1947 Plymouth Schoolboys side as another lifelong friend, Reg Wyatt. A few years later he became the youngest player to be selected for the Devon senior side. He originally signed as an amateur at Home Park but keen interest from Blackburn persuaded Argyle to offer him terms. I once asked Peter about who he felt was the best player of his time at Home Park. He unreservedly went for Wilf Carter who he felt was "an excellent all round player." As for the best opposition player he encountered, he plumped for a young Denis Law, who ran rings around Argyle when visiting with Huddersfield in 1959. It shows the company Argyle once kept when Peter nominated Alf Ramsey and Don Howe as his most difficult direct opponents. "They both appeared to let you play but you quickly realised it was on their terms. It did not surprise that they both stayed in the game and reached the highest level." He also gave a mention to Fulham's Jimmy Langley "who was a hard rugged bloke. Facing him you knew you were in for a difficult afternoon. " He continued, laughing as he spoke. "Mind you, we used to have weekly practice matches with the first team defence against the first team attack. That would often see me up against Pat Jones who didn't differentiate between practice matches and real ones. In Pat's world every game was a contest to be won. He was a hard man was Pat but someone who gave wonderful service to Argyle." But it is perhaps a measure of the man that he made it clear to me that ability is not everything. He placed great importance on friendships and nominated John "Cardiff", Reg Wyatt and Harry Penk as his best mates at Home Park. He was still in touch with Harry and John just weeks before he passed away. Although he enjoyed his time in football he also spoke with great affection about his time in Naval Stores in the Dockyard. He spent 17 years there and told me that he wished he had gone in there earlier. He nominated the 3-0 victory over West Ham in January 1962 as his favourite outing in an Argyle shirt. "We were going well in the League and we played some fantastic one-touch football." Even into his early 80s Peter still played Staddon Heights twice a week, still playing off 11. RIP Peter and thank you for giving so much pleasure to so many people.

Ken Beale

♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
RIP Peter a true gentleman and a terrific player for Argyle, he scored the only goal when we lost 5-1 to Spurs in the cup in front of 40,000, those were the days.