Daily Catch Up - Tuesday 21 May | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Daily Catch Up - Tuesday 21 May

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
The latest Argyle news.

The extended date for Early Bird discount season tickets will finish tomorrow 22 Wednesday... club website
Early bird now extended until Monday 27 May.
club website update

Former Argyle loan keeper Rab Douglas, who played one game in 2008, believes Derek Adams should be the new Dundee manager ...
"For me, there is one outstanding candidate for the Dundee managerā€™s job. Derek Adams.
It was inevitable that Jim McIntyre would be sacked and John Nelms hit the nail on the head ā€“ he had lost the faith of the supporters.

To have started a new season with a divide between the manager and the fans would have been crazy.
And if there is a right time to part company with a boss, this is it.
There is a chance to make a fresh start and Adams would be the guy Iā€™d bring in to get things moving in the right direction again.

Of course, Nelms should wait until all the applications are in. You never know if somebody will come out of leftfield who you might not have thought about.
But Iā€™d be surprised if anyoneā€™s CV matches up to Adamsā€™.
I donā€™t know him personally but Iā€™ve been told he is a football anorak and he has earned respect in the game.

Heā€™s got three promotions to his name ā€“ in England and Scotland.
And the most important one is with Ross County in the division Dundee now find themselves in. County blew the field away to win the title that season.

Heā€™s been a success everywhere heā€™s gone really.
OK, Plymouth have just sacked him but that seemed harsh and it doesnā€™t wipe out the good job he did there before that.
You donā€™t last four years at a club if youā€™re not effective at your job.

David Hopkin would have been the other guy Iā€™d have backed but heā€™s heading back to Morton.

Like I said, though, Adams is my number one choice."
The Courier

A short Twitter video of the Home Park pitch being removed, here .....Inscapes

Ostersund coach Brian Wake, who was surprisingly mentioned on the betting lists to be the next Argyle manager, finally admits he was playing along with Argyle fans with a message on his Twitter account .....

Former Argyle striker Lewis Alessandra suffered his third relegation from League Two to the National League when Notts County dropped into non-league at the end of the season. Alessandra, who has just been released by County, has been relegated in three of his last four seasons with York City, Hartlepool United and now Notts County.

Derek Adams is now third favourite to be the new manager at Kilmarnock with odds of 5/1.

Wade Elliott, assistant manager at Stoke City under-23 team, is the latest name on the betting list for the Argyle job (disregard Brian Wake) ...

Sky Bet latest new manager odds ....

Vote for David Fox for League One Goal of the Season.... club website

Former Argyle players Carl McHugh and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair have been released by Motherwell with McHugh agreeing a deal with India side ATK. Craig Tanner has been offered a short-term deal as he recovers from a serious knee injury, another ex-Argyle player at Motherwell, Peter Hartley, has a contract until 2020.

Dec 3, 2005
Had me worried there - when you said the Early Bird finishes tomorrow (Wednesday 22nd May) - technically right of course.

But reading it at 01:18 on Tuesday morning, it feels weird lol

Jul 9, 2016
Hilarious Brian, I bet all the people who wasted their hard earned money betting on you when they saw those messages are laughing their collective arses off :thumbdown:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Demportendermobile":33jp49b8 said:
Hilarious Brian, I bet all the people who wasted their hard earned money betting on you when they saw those messages are laughing their collective arses off :thumbdown:

People who chose to bet on Brian Wake are employed? What do they do? Fortune telling?

We are Argyle supporters, we need all the humorous input we can get! :scarf:

Aug 5, 2016
Demportendermobile":3qkn6av1 said:

Don't bet if you can't afford to lose.

Anyway why do we need to change the pitch? It looked immaculate on the final day of the season.

Rokerite

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Mar 18, 2019
Knibbsworth":1y86yi0o said:
Demportendermobile":1y86yi0o said:

Don't bet if you can't afford to lose.

I like betting on football but one market I would never touch is the "next manager" market *. I'm afraid there's a well known saying for anyone who wasted their hard earned money backing Brian Wake.

* There is one exception. If you are a teacher at a boarding school and you overhear a pupil talking to his/her father who happens to be a football club chairman. That was how, so it was widely reported, some teachers at Bob Murray's child's school made a few quid back when Howard Wilkinson was appointed out of left field in 2002.

Aug 5, 2016
Is there a delay? What is a realistic timefrane to have a reasonable period to publicise the position, collect CVs, discuss and form a shortlist, interview 5 candidates, discuss and agree terms...

We can write off the first week before the huge Scunthorpe game. Meanwhile some candidates are possibly still concentrating on the playoffs to he swanning off for interviews.

I don't think the period it has takeb has been unduly long. Our season is over but the football season as a whole isn't.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Penmaster":1olxutbl said:
This delay leads me to think that it can only be Michael Flynn.

I truly hope not. Heā€™s only ever been a manager for one season. Vastly inexperienced. I want someone who has a proper CV. Newport finished the season on League 2 with zero (yes thatā€™s zero) goal difference.

I canā€™t see the fans flocking to see Argyle under Flynn. If I was a player Iā€™d not be hugely impressed at joining us with Flynn in charge and the extra travelling.. has he many contacts? Not as many as other managers Iā€™d guess.

I think it would be a big mistake appointing Flynn, oh and weā€™d have to pay compensation too :thumbdown:

Pip

Mar 31, 2004
Maidstone
Gillingham sacked Steve Lovell just after our game there on Good Friday. At the moment (and I'm fairly local to Gillingham) there's absolutely nothing about who's taking over there. Our time frame is consistent with what we've been told by Andrew Parkinson etc. Having said that, could it be that Steve Lovell has applied for the Argyle Job! Outsmarted Adams at half time at Priesfield and turned the game around in about ten minutes. At this stage nobody outside the club knows anything. Think we could be surprised with a name yet to be mentioned when they do announce it.

Aug 5, 2016
JannerinCardiff":179w6l6v said:
Penmaster":179w6l6v said:

I truly hope not. Heā€™s only ever been a manager for one season. Vastly inexperienced. I want someone who has a proper CV. Newport finished the season on League 2 with zero (yes thatā€™s zero) goal difference.

I canā€™t see the fans flocking to see Argyle under Flynn. If I was a player Iā€™d not be hugely impressed at joining us with Flynn in charge and the extra travelling.. has he many contacts? Not as many as other managers Iā€™d guess.

I think it would be a big mistake appointing Flynn, oh and weā€™d have to pay compensation too :thumbdown:

Do you feel that Ryan Lowe is also vastly inexperienced?

Rokerite

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Mar 18, 2019
Knibbsworth":vd16qn1v said:
JannerinCardiff":vd16qn1v said:
Penmaster":vd16qn1v said:

Do you feel that Ryan Lowe is also vastly inexperienced?

In fact Flynn has a lot more experience than Lowe. Lowe had half a season as player/caretaker manager and then the season just ended. Flynn rescued Newport when they were eleven points adrift at the foot of League two with less than two months left. He then guided them to mid-table safety the following season before a wonderful cup run (and I hope promotion) this.

Mar 26, 2004
Pip":1otzkrwx said:
Gillingham sacked Steve Lovell just after our game there on Good Friday. At the moment (and I'm fairly local to Gillingham) there's absolutely nothing about who's taking over there. Our time frame is consistent with what we've been told by Andrew Parkinson etc. Having said that, could it be that Steve Lovell has applied for the Argyle Job! Outsmarted Adams at half time at Priesfield and turned the game around in about ten minutes. At this stage nobody outside the club knows anything. Think we could be surprised with a name yet to be mentioned when they do announce it.

Just announced Steve Evans :funny:

Sep 25, 2010
GreenAllOver":uxti6ydj said:
Pip":uxti6ydj said:

Just announced Steve Evans :funny:

OMG

Now I really feel sorry for all Gillingham fans,