Ethos and values? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ethos and values?

Sep 6, 2006
According to Parkinson new manager should embrace the club's ethos and values. Am not sure what they
are....

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Second paragraph:

“We have a successful first team, which is funded on a sustainable basis.“

Given how high this is up on the list, I’m surprised Adams was given such backing between late April 2018 and December 2018, when the team was anything but successful!

Edited to add: I now realise that this is a statement, not an aspiration. Looks like the document is out of date already...

Sep 6, 2006
I dont see anything about entertainment in there. A commitment to that would be a start. Cant always be successful or 'continuously improve' despite what it says.

Sep 7, 2006
I have been wanting to write this for a while but a couple of recent quotes/comments from the club have recently got me quite vexed.

I am an Argyle fan of 45 years. Not as long as some on here, but just to give you the idea that I am not some youngster who is letting off steam. My grandfather went in the early 1920’s and my dad after him started going in the late 1940’s so there has been a bit of Argyle history in the family you could say! Sadly, both are no longer with us, but I know that they would be as frustrated as me at the present state of the club. And the recent comments from Andrew Parkinson scare me even more!

I started going to Argyle as a 9-year-old with my Dad in 1975 and progressed, like may youngsters at that time, to going with my school mates when I was 13 until I went to Uni. The University years were exceptional to me as I had a free rail pass and could (effectively) go most weeks home and away. (It was the age of British Rail and rightly or wrongly the guards used to see a staff pass and just nod you through using the pass.) Despite moving to Cardiff after Uni (and more importantly for me losing my rail pass!) I continued to attend 15-20 matches a season, home or away. That was until the early 2000s when a bit of a promotion saw me afford to buy a season ticket despite living in Cardiff. That and a heated debate on Pasoti about who was the more loyal fan; one who never went away and spent all their money on Argyle or one who supported them away from home but due to distance never went to home matches!! I have been a season ticket holder since then coming down and up the motorway to see some truly awful performances, particularly in the more recent years.

Back to the point of my post; when I started going to Argyle we had only been in the second and third division for all of our history. That’s the old division two and three, to our younger readers, the championship and league one as they are now called! Then shock horror we fell into the fourth division (I know it was called division three, but as the FA had inspired the “Judas” twenty to abandon the remainder of the seventy two clubs by then, you know what I mean!). I was at the game at Turf Moor on that dreaded day. We came back to the first attempt and despite sinking back two years later along came Luggy to save us.

After we fell from the Championship (division two!) in 2010, never did I think that I would never see the club reach those heights again in my lifetime. (I am 53). But I fear that this may be the case. Since we have been saved from oblivion by James Brent, I fear the club has shifted from being a proud club with a proud record of bloodying the noses the greats of the game every now and again, whilst not quite reaching the higher heights, to being a “community” club the likes of which several posters on here were sneeringly laughing at the other lot from Devon a few years ago.

When I hear comments from Mr Parkinson that in relation to the new manager, “we want the person to embrace Argyle, its ethos and its values.” I thought ok, I don’t know what those are, but hey ho it’s all about brand these days!
He further goes on “We want them to be very much part of the community. We want them to embrace the fact that it’s not just about the first team. It’s about the ladies’ team, it’s about all our academy. It’s about everything in that respect.”
It makes me shudder to the core.

Its great to have a successful academy that successfully brings through youngsters to the first team, but how many have done that since Mr Brent took over? A successful ladies team is nice, but realistically, how many people will support that given the wide location of Argyle supporters. All of this is surely aspirational and not the main focus. It has to be the first team FIRST!

So effectively, we’ve gone from being a division two and three club, to become a fourth division club that will have occasional forays into division three before falling back. We’ll fil the “new” 17,000 capacity stadium every 10-15 years when we get through to round three of the FA Cup and draw a big team.

I don’t know whether to rage against the new powers that be at Argyle for insisting that we are a “community” club and not trying to find a wealthy benefactor to match what I believe is our status or the greed monkeys who are the custodians of the premier league who inspired this abhorration. We were a far far bigger club than Cardiff for most of the first 35 years of my life. Oh how times change and we could only ever dream to be a quarter of their size now!!!

Apologies for the rant but it was really cathartic for me to get this off my chest!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I share your concerns. With a new chairman, new CEO and soon a new manager the club should be concentrating on breathing life back into a failing football team.
The extras are good to have but we are not flying high at the moment, the new manager will be under enough pressure to get us promoted without worrying about 'all aspects of the club'. Get the first team right and a successful team and everything else will follow.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah, I hate to say it but I'm not sure... for example... the ladies team should be crossing the mind of the mens manager too much. Ultimately it doesn't have relevance to his job, and they already have a coach to take care of that side.

The academy YES, because as first team manager you're looking to pick youngsters to play in the first XI.

But ladies, community work, the matchday experience etc etc... there should be people concentrating on those things so the first team manager doesn't have to.

May 16, 2016
Biggs":2csofauo said:
Yeah, I hate to say it but I'm not sure... for example... the ladies team should be crossing the mind of the mens manager too much. Ultimately it doesn't have relevance to his job, and they already have a coach to take care of that side.

The academy YES, because as first team manager you're looking to pick youngsters to play in the first XI.

But ladies, community work, the matchday experience etc etc... there should be people concentrating on those things so the first team manager doesn't have to.

Other than engaging where necessary with the 'Community' do you seriously think the Manager will be asked to contribute to the rest of it ? An understanding and acceptance of the wider Argyle input locally is to be expected, not a sleeves rolled up deep end plunge.

Believe it or not, the Club does reach out to lots of people outside of Matchdays and the on field success or otherwise of the Team. There's no denying a promotion chasing side is more of a draw than not but there's mu h more to a 'big' club than that.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
I saw this last week when reading up on ‘Club Argyle’ (purely out of curiosity, I have already renewed my ST in block 12 and have no interest in any of the corporate hospitality offers at present) and thought it was ‘interesting’...

“After lunch, peruse through your complimentry copy of the latest ‘Pilgrim’ match-day programme, before a visit from Head of Football Derek Adams to your table. Later in the day, you will be the first to hear the team news, with an early sight of the team sheet.”

(Part of the Pioneers package)

If they sell all 102 Pioneer packages that is going to be a fair few tables to get around.

Should the first team manager really be having to do this?

I thought the whole ‘Head of Football’ thing was a bit odd when it was announced at the start of the season, I have not changed my mind and agree that the we should have a first team manager who focuses on managing the first team.

The club seem to be merging the roles of Director of Football and First Team Manager and be expecting that one person does both roles.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
As a long term strategy, I get where the club our coming from. They are trying to make the club more integral to more people in the community. If they do this it should also build commitment to the club and a wider fan base. That seems eminently sound.

Problem is, when the first team is so shocking it seems like empty rhetoric. And most of us don’t experience that wider work. We just get the Saturdays. So it’s not top of our list of priorities

But plenty of people do. I’ve a mate who worked for the community trust. Now works for saints and before that he was at WBA. He has nothing but positive things to say about that work, the people in the club that he met and impact of it.

I very much doubt that they want a new manager to lead this stuff, but to engage with it as part of the wider work of the club, absolutely

Sep 6, 2006
Phil Sloggett":3na36ynx said:
I saw this last week when reading up on ‘Club Argyle’ (purely out of curiosity, I have already renewed my ST in block 12 and have no interest in any of the corporate hospitality offers at present) and thought it was ‘interesting’...

“After lunch, peruse through your complimentry copy of the latest ‘Pilgrim’ match-day programme, before a visit from Head of Football Derek Adams to your table. Later in the day, you will be the first to hear the team news, with an early sight of the team sheet.”

(Part of the Pioneers package)

If they sell all 102 Pioneer packages that is going to be a fair few tables to get around.

Should the first team manager really be having to do this?

I thought the whole ‘Head of Football’ thing was a bit odd when it was announced at the start of the season, I have not changed my mind and agree that the we should have a first team manager who focuses on managing the first team.

The club seem to be merging the roles of Director of Football and First Team Manager and be expecting that one person does both roles.

You are right and Hallett suggested last night that a new manager wont have as many responsibilities. They have learnt from their mistakes.