GC league 2 v GC league 1 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

GC league 2 v GC league 1

Mar 14, 2009
This isn't about if Graham Carey was better in league two than he was in league one.

However, this is more to do with where he postionally played and his influence on the games.

In league Two he was our no 10. At the centre of everything. In league one we had to find a way to accommodate him and Lameriras so more often than not he played on the right, cutting in on his left.

Forget the standard of opposition for a minute in both divisions. Did anyone else enjoy the GC who played more centrally at the start of Argyle career? Personally l thought he was more influential as a number 10. He could go both ways. He just seemed so restricted on the wing.

GC can hit a shot like not many Argyle players lve ever seen before. However, been stuck on the right wing and always cutting in l believe made him more predictable to defend.

Would anyone else like to see him back in a no10 role if he stays at Argyle? I think Adams missed a trick when he moved him onto the wing because he needed to be directing play more.

Mar 23, 2008
I said the same talking to a friend the other day, I think we should play him as a no.10 if he stays and give him a free role. If Lowe does come, he's a more attacking manager which should by virtue suit Carey and could be a good fit.

Jun 24, 2008
You're probably right, however, as you have rightly highlighted, it was to accommodate Ruben. I feel we definitely reaped the benefits from that where he is concerned! May all depend on which of the two, if either, are here next season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
In League One we had to play with a stronger midfield, either Fox and Songo'o sitting deep or Sarcevic playing in Carey's number 10 role which meant Carey had to roam in the wide areas.

Apparently Lowe likes to play with a formation that includes two number 10s.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’ve always felt Carey’s best form came in his first & Adams first season, when he was used as a CAM in a 4231 flanked by Jervis and Wylde. In fact, I actually thought in terms of the attractiveness of the football, that was the best team we’ve had in recent years, and definitely stronger than the one we’ve just been relegated from L1 with, with the likes of Reid, Brunt, Matt, Jervis, Wylde, Carey, McHugh, Nelson, Hartley, McCormick etc.

Despite our eventual no show at Wembley, I really enjoyed that season, more so than our promotion season to be honest, the football was exciting.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":i8od4mzb said:
Apparently Lowe likes to play with a formation that includes two number 10s.

Came in to post this. That would be very tasty if GC stays, and mouthwatering if Lameiras somehow signs on too.

C

CiderAndPasties

I don't see why we can't accommodate Carey and Lameiras and still have Carey central. Lameiras was acting as a LW in a 433. surely someone like Grant as a RW instead of Carey and then have carey drop back to a CAM position.

How it could've worked last season (going mostly with the team we finished with)

I have tried to work around the 433/4231 we were using

GK: Macey
LB: Sawyer
CB: Jones
CB: Edwards
RB: Threlkeld
LM/LDM: Fox/Songo'o
CM/CAM: Carey
RM/RDM: Fox/Songo'o
LW: Lameiras/J.Grant
CF: Ledapo
RW: Lameiras/J.Grant

I know some of these players are moving on (including Lameiras and Carey most likely). This is purely theoretical.

I should also add, this isn't necessarily my preferred 11, its based off of the team that saw out the last few games of the season.
I also know there were injuries which would've prevented certain players being selected.

May 21, 2018
Wasn't the loyalty to Carey one of the things that contributed to Adam's departure? He's a wonderful player but can't see another manager adapting our whole style to accommodate him next season. As I've pointed out before there are few sides with similar 'No 10's in the lower leagues. His role does not seem to have registered as a plus with the many Pasoti posters who state this season was the worst football they have ever seen and people in this thread seem to want Adams attacking midfield repeated....

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
BoscombeGreen":1r1ib8rg said:
Wasn't the loyalty to Carey one of the things that contributed to Adam's departure? He's a wonderful player but can't see another manager adapting our whole style to accommodate him next season. As I've pointed out before there are few sides with similar 'No 10's in the lower leagues. His role does not seem to have registered as a plus with the many Pasoti posters who state this season was the worst football they have ever seen and people in this thread seem to want Adams attacking midfield repeated....

Lowe plays with two number 10s, so there'd 100% be a crucial role for Carey next season if he stays.