Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Archibald Leitch died in 1939, stand constructed in 1952. Built to the design made famous by Leitch, but not in fact designed by the great man.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
justanotherfan":yka60h4c said:
Archibald Leitch died in 1939, stand constructed in 1952. Built to the design made famous by Leitch, but not in fact designed by the great man.
But it was designed by Archibald Leitch and Partners, the company inherited and run by Leitch's son, also called Archibald!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The Spurs stand construction in that article looks eerily similar to what we're seeing now.

And re the Leitch connection, ours was designed by the Archibald Leitch & Partners company, to a design used by the dead Archibald Leitch, overseen by his son Archibald Leitch Jr. You'd have to be monumentally uncharitable to say it isn't a Leitch stand, probably the same people who say Plymouth had nothing to do with the Mayflower.

The authority on football stadiums Simon Inglis acknowledges that the Home Park grandstand was the last Leitch design built...

Since my biography of Leitch was published, the confirmed list of his clients has continued to grow. It now appears that he worked at Chesterfield’s Saltergate, and, as many had suspected, that after his death his company also designed the Mayflower Stand at Plymouth’s Home Park in the early 1950s. More on this – the Leitch company’s last commission before it was wound up in about 1956 – can be read in Russell Moore’s new history Home Park, a Pictorial History.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The old White Hart Lane Grandstand going up.

XDHGkur.png

No doubt in my mind what we've got.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
The modern mini is truly a mini because BMW own the name but it bears no resemblance to that by Sir Alec Issigonis. Our stand is designed by the Leitch company but is not of Archibald Leitch senior, but a generic Leitch design, this doesn`t (didn`t) make it any less important.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I have a book (somewhere) about Leitch and his stadia.

It lists every Leitch stand with photographs. No mention of HP.

We had a Leitch-style stand, we did not have a Leitch stand. In a few months time we will have neither, which is progress.

Like a lot of others I wish we could have afforded a stand that completed the horseshoe and completely removed the Leitch-style stand.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Really?

You'd like an indentikit stadium?

I'm not sure a lot do Kev. By the way, where's our Leitch going then?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Argylegames":3vlyyq9h said:
I have a book (somewhere) about Leitch and his stadia.

It lists every Leitch stand with photographs. No mention of HP.

We had a Leitch-style stand, we did not have a Leitch stand. In a few months time we will have neither, which is progress.

Like a lot of others I wish we could have afforded a stand that completed the horseshoe and completely removed the Leitch-style stand.

You're a strange poster :lol: ;)

I assumed with your intense interest in the grandstand, you were quite keen on it. And why the hell would you prefer a generic Doncaster type ground?

Also, it just IS a Leitch & Partners stand, that's a fact.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
IJN":nwo2kycu said:
The old White Hart Lane Grandstand going up.

XDHGkur.png

No doubt in my mind what we've got.

That's the pic I was thinking of.

Squint and that's a Greens on Screen update :thumbup:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Biggs":1m660ogt said:
The Spurs stand construction in that article looks eerily similar to what we're seeing now.

And re the Leitch connection, ours was designed by the Archibald Leitch & Partners company, to a design used by the dead Archibald Leitch, overseen by his son Archibald Leitch Jr. You'd have to be monumentally uncharitable to say it isn't a Leitch stand, probably the same people who say Plymouth had nothing to do with the Mayflower.

The authority on football stadiums Simon Inglis acknowledges that the Home Park grandstand was the last Leitch design built...

Since my biography of Leitch was published, the confirmed list of his clients has continued to grow. It now appears that he worked at Chesterfield’s Saltergate, and, as many had suspected, that after his death his company also designed the Mayflower Stand at Plymouth’s Home Park in the early 1950s. More on this – the Leitch company’s last commission before it was wound up in about 1956 – can be read in Russell Moore’s new history Home Park, a Pictorial History.

Exactly the story I have heard too Biggs.
How some cannot call our stand a Leitch stand is absurd!
Leitch may have passed away by the time ours was constructed but it was built on the plans and principles of his company!