Dear Simon | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Dear Simon

May 3, 2016
Dear Simon,
I have met you and your wife on a few occasions, I found you both very polite, honest people who seem to care about my football team.
I am not going to dwell on todays game as I expected that result, however my following post reflects on my view of this season.
James Brent relinquished his reign as chairman having saved the club from extinction, we will be externally grateful to still have a club.
I do not know who advises you on the day to day running of the club, but here are my observations/recommendations, I feel qualified to do this having watched Argyle for the past 42 years.
PRE SEASON:
Can I recommend we do not waste money going to Holland playing second rate teams, this money could go back into the managers budget.
Do not play teams like Parkway, Tavistock yes we beat them but it is no way to prepare for the coming season, we need stiffer opposition.

BUDGET:
We have been told it was competative? Well only the next two games will tell, it's an old cliche but you pay for what you get.

PLAYERS:
Ultimatly purchased by the manager, who had a competative budget, I would only keep three of the existing squad, we have been very poor in all areas, the last few games I have watched the lack of passion, skill, it's not good being a fan seeing this. We have purchased has beens, and people at the end of their careers, even more sad nobody coming through the ranks, Kevin Hodges must be frustrated as me.

MANAGER :
We need to change the manager, I wish him the bestt for the next team he manages, but the tactics are now boring, as are the excuses. If we have to pay him off so be it, he won't be the first or the last, the fans I talked to today have had enough of watching the same dross. Ultimately Derek the buck stops with you.

THE BOARD:
Simon I think your intensions are good, but without additional funds we will have the same quality of players next season If we are relegated you will be putting your hand further into your pocket as season tickets will be fewer. The three grades of corporate have not sold out, going to be very difficult to sell in the bottom division.
Existing directors to invest additional funds or appoint new directors who are willing to put money in.
The upgraded grandstand will be a vast improvement, but if it's not full every other week repayment will take longer. I appreciate you want Argyle self funded, but if we are relegated, the trap door is open to oblivion.

THE FANS:
Average 10,000 amazing for what we have had to watch this season, I spoke to lot's of older fans today who said they will not be renewing their sesson tickets, I would be very worried on a commercial point it will take alot to get these fans to return.

A very frustrated Argyle fan

Feb 27, 2010
Can I add.......Simon “it is ALL about the football , everything positive flows from success on the pitch, waving flags before the game is all very nice but what everyone wants is some success, or at least a future where success might come , not months of unrelenting negative football and poor excuses for pitiful results.

Mar 14, 2009
I honestly think now we are at a very interesting junction with Argyle.

There will be fans like me that whoever the manager is (money permitting) l will renew my season ticket like l have for the last 15 plus years.

The manager could be bungle from rainbow. We could have Rod, Jane and Freddie as our front three and I would still renew. I am perhaps stupid or silly, but l love going to Argyle.

However, l am one of the few thousand who are left. I think many have “had enough”. It’s no good refurbishing a grandstand and having new facilities IF the fans aren’t happy with what is on the pitch.

I have spoken to some around me and some will back. However, l think there are many now after four years of Adams style of football that have had enough.

So here is Argyle on the brink of refurbishing HP. Making it a four sided ground with upgraded facilities. Bring in people to run these facilities to a decent level. Yet if the football continues to carry on like this into next season lm afraid the redevelopment will be like a damp squid.

So what it’s going to be? Stick your head in the sand and back a manager that even his loyal supporters from the past few seasons have now shown a loss of faith in him or draw a line under the last four years and find a manager who might actually make us play attacking football like Barnsley did today.

And please, l know the budget is helpful to making teams that good, but it isn’t the budget that makes 5 or 6 of their teammates that run pass the person with the ball to give him options. Where as nobody hardly runs past Taylor or Ladapo. We are lucky if we see 3 Argyle players in the penalty box when attacking. It called coaching. It’s lm afraid something we lack, and we now desperately need otherwise the improvements in our infrastructure will be for nothing.

Jan 19, 2019
Get a Director of Football.

Get a new manager. (Adams has taken us as far as he can).

There are not enough Football People at the Club... too many commercial folk.. The PRIMARY reason of Argyle is Football....

Jul 29, 2010
Gotta love the good old 'damp squid'.

Makes I chuckle every time he comes up :lol:

Aug 10, 2006
area51":3253obpr said:
Dear Simon,
I have met you and your wife on a few occasions, I found you both very polite, honest people who seem to care about my football team.
I am not going to dwell on todays game as I expected that result, however my following post reflects on my view of this season.
James Brent relinquished his reign has chairman having saved the club from extinction, we will be externally grateful to still have a club.
I do not know who advises you on the day to day running of the club, but here are my observations/recommendations, I feel qualified to do this having watched Argyle for the past 42 years.
PRE SEASON:
Can I recommend we do not waste money going to Holland playing second rate teams, this money could go back into the managers budget.
Do not play teams like Parkway, Tavistock yes we beat them but it is no way to prepare for the coming season, we need stiffer opposition.

BUDGET:
We have been told it was competative? Well only the next two games will tell, it's an old cliche but you pay for what you get.

PLAYERS:
Ultimatly purchased by the manager, who had a competative budget, I would only keep three of the existing squad, we have been very poor in all areas, the last few games I have watched the lack of passion, skill, it's not good being a fan seeing this. We have purchased has beens, and people at the end of their careers, even more sad nobody coming through the ranks, Kevin Hodges must be frustrated as me.

MANAGER :
We need to change the manager, I wish him the bestt for the next team he manages, but the tactics are now boring, as are the excuses. If we have to pay him off so be it, he won't be the first or the last, the fans I talked to today have had enough of watching the same dross. Ultamitley Derek the buck stops with you.

THE BOARD:
Simon I think your intensions are good, but without additional funds we will have the same quality of players next season If we are relegated you will be putting your hand further into your pocket as season tickets will be fewer. The three grades of corporate have not sold out, going to be very difficult to sell in the bottom division.
Existing directors to invest additional funds or appoint new directors who are willing to put money in.
The upgraded grandstand will be a vast improvement, but if it's not full every other week repayment will take longer. I appreciate you want Argyle self funded, but if we are relegated, the trap door is open to oblivion.

THE FANS:
Average 10,000 amazing for what we have had to watch this season, I spoke to lot's of older fans today who said they will not be renewing their sesson tickets, I would be very worried on a commercial point it will take alot to get these fans to return.

A very frustrated Argyle fan
dave you don't know anything about football, you are an armchair manager according to derek.

Aug 10, 2006
we should be grateful according to Derek in his post match interview we have had 3 years of over success. :funny:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Balham_Green":1yw03et8 said:
up_the_line":1yw03et8 said:
loyal1970":1yw03et8 said:
we should be grateful according to Derek in his post match interview we have had 3 years of over success. :funny:

:funny:

Insulting the fans intelligence is not likely to help his cause.

It's very odd. Lots of managers who come to Home Park are quoted as saying Argyle should be higher up the leagues, that they are a big club.
The only one with a complete downer on the club who thinks being at the low end of the third division is over achievement for Plymouth Argyle is Lord V Neck himself

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I bet you live in a 'fun' house.

To be that vitriolic at 0530 in the morning??!! :thumbs: :sad: :facepalm:

I'll be out in 15 minutes, enjoying the wonrderful weather, playing golf, looking forward to seeing my granddaughter.

You? Kicking the cat, making up new names for decent folk, and probably looking out off your window hoping to catch a glance of someone tripping over.

Get a life man, the world's depressing enough (Sri Lanka etc) without sad muppets like you spreading their 'wit' around the internet.

Argyle ARE crap, we get that, but why on earth do you and your kind (mouth breathing life suckers) get off on making it even more depressing?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":1p1q3kq7 said:

I'll be out in 15 minutes, enjoying the wonrderful weather, playing golf, looking forward to seeing my granddaughter.

You? Kicking the cat, making up new names for decent folk, and probably looking out off your window hoping to catch a glance of someone tripping over.

Get a life man, the world's depressing enough (Sri Lanka etc) without sad muppets like you spreading their 'wit' around the internet.

Argyle ARE crap, we get that, but why on earth do you and your kind (mouth breathing life suckers) get off on making it even more depressing?

I was in Sri Lanka a few years ago. Beautiful country. Amazing people. I was truly saddened by the news over the weekend. I'm really not sure what it's got to do with someone posting about their football club in Plymouth though. It is possible to separate things from one another. Actually I think it's a bit cheap using a tragedy like that on here to be honest.

FYI today I'll be off for a run in the afternoon to prep for a half marathon, then I'll be doing some illustration work following a successful small exhibition in London, then maybe I'll start planning me and my partners route for our up coming hiking holiday in Northern Albania (we had a lovely walk through Lydford Gorge this weekend)
Oh and if you want you can pick up a copy of Football Weekends magazine in WH Smiths on the 25th to read my account of the Kraków derby.
Is that enough of a life for you?

Sep 6, 2006
IJN":2u6o6ilw said:

So you wait until 6.11 to be vitriolic.