Brief Synopsis!!! (Barnsley)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Smith-Brown out and Threlkeld back at right-back. Songo'o regained his place at the expense of Ness. The main talking point was Taylor in for the absent Ladapo. Rare bench spot in recent weeks for Ainsworth with Ness and ASB taking the other spots. Would we be 5-4-1 or would we go with Songo'o and Fox sitting? For those asking for Taylor to start - here it was.

2) Back 4 it was with Sarcevic off Taylor. Argyle started well and until we got caught on the counter with Threlkeld up field we were probably the better team. The referee waved advantage with the ball at Sarcevic's feet. He lost it and we were caught. The second soon followed which looked off-side. We now looked all over the place and a third followed direct from a free-kick.

3) Taylor got nothing out of the referee whilst Barnsley's third came from a free-kick on the Barnsley centre forward identical to those not given against Taylor. We were a long way second best to Barnsley and they didn't need the assistance. Barnsley finishing far superior to anything else I've seen this season at Home Park.

4) Adams was booed off at half-time and there was a chorus of "we want Adams out" from the tunnel side of the Demport. To be fair to him his side started and finished the first-half well enough. It was a 20 minutes spell in the first half that destroyed us. Letheren, Sawyer, Edwards and Jones will all have moments to forget. Sarcevic was poor.

5) Something needed to change at half-time. We needed to show that we weren't going to roll over and give us something to hope for with the two games to come. Started the second with tge same line up, same formation, same tactics!! Unsurprisingly Barnsley dominated again whilst our only tactic was knocking it long to Taylor with Carey and Lameiras picking up scraps and losing possession.

6) Songo'o tried hard and he made on bursting run which has almost ended with a goal for Argyle but the goalie and defence crowded him out. Letheren made 2 good second half saves. Into the last 20 and still Argyle were set up the same way as the kick-off. Surely we'd make some kind of attempt to change something which clearly wasn't working.

7) Finally we made substitutions. Lameiras, Fox and Taylor off. Anderson, Fletcher and Ness on. Subs that said more about keeping players fit for the two games to come. The 3 subs all looked up for it but it was too effing late as the Demport chanted. Barnsley should have added a 4th but missed the target with no challenge. Carey's chipped free-kick straight into the keeper summed it up.

8 ) Songo'o, Carey, Lameiras, Taylor and (even though he was having a poor game) Sarcevic at least tried. Fox was the only Argyle players who seemed able to find a green shirt. The defence was disorganised although Threlkeld had a good first 20.

9) The refereeing performance was inept but Barnsley were a class apart. We need to hope that others have an off day cos it's apparent we're not good enough for this division, at least under this manager.

Kyle Letheren - 7
Oscar Threlkeld - 7
Ryan Edwards - 6
Lloyd Jones - 6
Gary Sawyer - 6
Yann Songo'o - 7
David Fox - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Graham Carey - 7
Ruben Lameiras - 6
Ryan Taylor - 6

Kyle Letheren - unused
Niall Canavan - unused
Ashley Smith-Brown - unused
Jamie Ness - 5
Paul Anderson - 5
Lionel Ainsworth - unused
Alex Fletcher - 5

Feb 2, 2007
I feel sick.

Ratings

Kyle Letheren - 8
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Ryan Edwards - 4
Lloyd Jones - 5
Gary Sawyer - 3
Yann Songo'o - 5
David Fox - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 2
Graham Carey - 4
Ruben Lameiras - 4
Ryan Taylor - 5

Mar 16, 2009
London
nick_PASTIE":3o0yugns said:
I feel sick.

Ratings

Kyle Letheren - 8
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Ryan Edwards - 4
Lloyd Jones - 5
Gary Sawyer - 3
Yann Songo'o - 5
David Fox - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 2
Graham Carey - 4
Ruben Lameiras - 4
Ryan Taylor - 5

Letheren 8 ?!?!?!?

Ah yes of course, the goals were all Macey’s fault.

Feb 2, 2007
Justin":5t4pa7ne said:
nick_PASTIE":5t4pa7ne said:
I feel sick.

Ratings

Kyle Letheren - 8
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Ryan Edwards - 4
Lloyd Jones - 5
Gary Sawyer - 3
Yann Songo'o - 5
David Fox - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 2
Graham Carey - 4
Ruben Lameiras - 4
Ryan Taylor - 5

Letheren 8 ?!?!?!?

As a once semi pro goalie, there was nothing he could have done about any of the goals. He made some smart stops in the second half and kicking general command of area on crosses was good. Technicallym, what did he do wrong? Please enlighten me....

G

greengiant1886

Justin":2oacc6ya said:
nick_PASTIE":2oacc6ya said:
I feel sick.

Ratings

Kyle Letheren - 8
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Ryan Edwards - 4
Lloyd Jones - 5
Gary Sawyer - 3
Yann Songo'o - 5
David Fox - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 2
Graham Carey - 4
Ruben Lameiras - 4
Ryan Taylor - 5

Letheren 8 ?!?!?!?

Letheren made 2 top saves in the second half and none of the goals were down to him. Take a day off.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Give it a rest, Justin.

Not that I give a f*ck about the Macey-Letheren situation anymore but Kyle played well and was the official man of the match.

What that says when we lost 3-0 is the bigger issue.

Sep 6, 2006
greengiant1886":1d8qo7c4 said:
Justin":1d8qo7c4 said:
nick_PASTIE":1d8qo7c4 said:
I feel sick.

Ratings

Kyle Letheren - 8
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Ryan Edwards - 4
Lloyd Jones - 5
Gary Sawyer - 3
Yann Songo'o - 5
David Fox - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 2
Graham Carey - 4
Ruben Lameiras - 4
Ryan Taylor - 5

Letheren 8 ?!?!?!?

Letheren made 2 top saves in the second half and none of the goals were down to him. Take a day off.

The point is bringing Letheren back was SUPPOSED to solve all our defensive problems according to many!!

Aug 11, 2013
Reminded me of a pre season game where a national league team were hosting a championship team. No one in the national team taking it too seriously. National team clearly lacking fitness and treating it as pretty meaningless. Tactics not yet had chance to bed in. Lump it and hope. No corner or free kick routines yet. Appearance of strangers fresh off their hols.

Mar 16, 2009
London
greengiant1886":2ha36i5m said:
Justin":2ha36i5m said:
nick_PASTIE":2ha36i5m said:
I feel sick.

Ratings

Kyle Letheren - 8
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Ryan Edwards - 4
Lloyd Jones - 5
Gary Sawyer - 3
Yann Songo'o - 5
David Fox - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 2
Graham Carey - 4
Ruben Lameiras - 4
Ryan Taylor - 5

Letheren 8 ?!?!?!?

As per Friday he was too static on his line. He needs to be way more commanding of his area.

6 goals conceded in 2 games since be returned to the side tells its own story.

He made a couple of ok saves second half but no way in a million years he deserved an 8.

May 1, 2011
Biggs":1pv0dh9k said:
Give it a rest, Justin.

Not that I give a f*ck about the Macey-Letheren situation anymore but Kyle played well and was the official man of the match.

Justin is the fool who called the Adams critics a bunch of muppets not too long ago.

How's that working out now?

Feb 2, 2007
Lets ask the EFL if we can play Leth AND Macey in goal together and 10 outfield players.

Let's face it we have 2 sub standard goalies for this level... and the fault for that is....

DEREK ADAMS

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
arrythewurzel":f2x78sfi said:
Reminded me of a pre season game where a national league team were hosting a championship team. No one in the national team taking it too seriously. National team clearly lacking fitness and treating it as pretty meaningless. Tactics not yet had chance to bed in. Lump it and hope. No corner or free kick routines yet. Appearance of strangers fresh off their hols.

Yep.

It was exactly like I used to feel in youth football, when your team of decent jumpers and goalposts players, came up against county level and players being scouted for pro teams.

Drilled, kept the ball at will, individually and collectively better in technique and ability. Against a rabble with no plan other than a little individual spark or whacking it up to a big man.

To say it is depressing is an understatement. The irony is that not so many weeks ago some were talking about the possibility of making the playoffs, now we are staring relegation in the face.

I haven’t in the past been one of the Adams Out vocalists but now I am seeing there is something fundamentally wrong and the common denominator is the manager. Argyle have in the past stuck by their managers through thick and thin, perhaps now is the time to bite the bullet.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Bristol Rich":3kivivg0 said:
Biggs":3kivivg0 said:
Give it a rest, Justin.

Justin is the fool who called the Adams critics a bunch of muppets not too llmh ago.

How's that working out now?

Wrong. I’m the ‘fool’ you abused when I said Ladapo was quality at the beginning of the season.

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
saffronwalden green":lz7k8nrr said:
To say it is depressing is an understatement. The irony is that not so many weeks ago some were talking about the possibility of making the playoffs, now we are staring relegation in the face.

I haven’t in the past been one of the Adams Out vocalists but now I am seeing there is something fundamentally wrong and the common denominator is the manager. Argyle have in the past stuck by their managers through thick and thin, perhaps now is the time to bite the bullet.

Bit late for that

Damage is done