League 2...would it be that bad? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

League 2...would it be that bad?

G

GreenGiantLion1886

This is likely to be a controversial opinion but please can we make sure only constructive points are raised.

I've attended the majority of the home games this season and a fair few away games. The performances i have witnessed have been, without question, below par. The players seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder, and it all stems from the mindset that has been installed from from the off this season which has been to 'just stay up'. I believe this negative attitude which is imbedded in the players and management has led to our struggles this season.

If you contrast this to when we were in league 2 the perception surrounding the club was one of 'we should be getting promoted'. That positive attitude coincided with great results and a buzz around home park that was refreshing.

I'm starting to feel like maybe falling down into league 2 is whats needed in the sense that it allows us to change this negative atmosphere around the club. It allows us to stop, take a breath and rebuild. From this we can then again install a winning mentality. I feel if we survive this season it will just be a case of more of the same next season.

As a life long green who spends a good whack of their hard earned money investing time in this team it pains me to say it. But i really am starting to believe it's whats needed for us to grow. Sometimes one step back is needed to take two steps forward.

Apr 1, 2009
You make the assumption that dropping into League 2 will immediately install a positive promotion-chasing mindset. That's not going to be the case.

We'd lose Ladapo, Lameiras and Carey. With Fox and Sawyer close to the end, the remnants of this season's squad would be a poor assortment - not one that would automatically challenge at the top end of the league. If we didn't make a good start (and remember we've tended not to make a good start recently), the mindset would become even more negative than it is now.

Then there's the likelihood that we'd still have Adams. On the back of this season, where's the positivity going to come from? If we go down, and Adams stays, a significant section of the fan base would enter next season less than happy.

I don't think we went into this season limiting our ambitions to staying up. Why would we after 7th last year? That only became the target after a second successive catastrophic early part of the campaign.

Let's not kid ourselves that L2 would be good. Or that we would make a success of it. It's a horrible league and we don't want to go there.

Jan 20, 2004
Sorry Giant, relegation rarely benefits any club, and it can often take years to rebuild and regain promotion.

Jan 27, 2012
I understand what the original poster is saying but canā€™t agree. League One should be the bottom of the curve for a club the size of Argyle and the aim should be to reach the Championship- which is a realistic ambition in the medium term (it might have happened last year with one or two better players). The problem with Argyle in recent seasons has been finance and that remains the real cause of this under performance. If you donā€™t like Adams then relegation is a reason to get rid of him, but I wouldnā€™t see anything else changing very much.

Mar 14, 2009
I will try to sum it up in one sentence.

Ā£400 season ticket to see Adams bring on an extra CB, for a Midfielder or Forward, around 20-25 mins from time where we are holding on to a slender one goal lead against a side like, Cheltenham Town.

Happy days!!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
GreenGiantLion1886":3efhxoap said:
This is likely to be a controversial opinion but please can we make sure only constructive points are raised.

I've attended the majority of the home games this season and a fair few away games. The performances i have witnessed have been, without question, below par. The players seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder, and it all stems from the mindset that has been installed from from the off this season which has been to 'just stay up'. I believe this negative attitude which is imbedded in the players and management has led to our struggles this season.

If you contrast this to when we were in league 2 the perception surrounding the club was one of 'we should be getting promoted'. That positive attitude coincided with great results and a buzz around home park that was refreshing.

I'm starting to feel like maybe falling down into league 2 is whats needed in the sense that it allows us to change this negative atmosphere around the club. It allows us to stop, take a breath and rebuild. From this we can then again install a winning mentality. I feel if we survive this season it will just be a case of more of the same next season.

As a life long green who spends a good whack of their hard earned money investing time in this team it pains me to say it. But i really am starting to believe it's whats needed for us to grow. Sometimes one step back is needed to take two steps forward.

Iā€™m not sure I agree with the reasoning, but I also think that being relegated wouldnā€™t be a disaster. Disappointing yes, but disaster, no. Apart from the Man United's, Cityā€™s etc, clubs cycle between success and failure. Regardless of which division you are in, you set your goals accordingly. Sometimes you reach your goals, sometimes you donā€™t, itā€™s all part of following a lower league team. The lows make the highs that little bit sweeter. Football is just a game and something to do on a Saturday afternoon. We have seen some good football this year and also games with twists and turns. While the results have been far worse than we want, we have had the hope and despair that keeps us interested.

Aug 5, 2016
It would be a disaster. It is nothing to do with mentality, our squad just isn't very good at the moment. I identified 5 players that I would take forward in either division - ASB, Threlkeld, Songo'o, Lameiras, and Ladapo. I will give Jones the benefit of the doubt however the jury is still out. Carey is not justifying his top earner status at the moment, Fox looks like he can't keep up anymore, Sarcevic and Ness are going through the motions, Sawyer is nearly 34, Canavan and Edwards look easily replaceable with improvements, Moore has had a poor season, Macey simply won't be required next season, Riley has been ordinary and injury ridden, Dyson's season has been a waste of time, Ainsworth will almost definitely be leaving, Joel Grant will be recovering from a career threatening injury, midfielder Connor Grant hasn't had a decent performance in midfield all season, and Scott Wootton is possibly not even Football League quality any longer. Ryan Taylor is too good and on too much money to be playing twenty minutes a week - if he is not starting he very well he moving on.

Some of these players are on two year contracts. Player for player, we are worse than the season we got promoted in every single position, so much so I can't envisage a lot of the above mounting a promotion campaign. Our only option is to stay up, move as much deadwood on and figure out how we can unlock the potential of Moore, ASB, Grant and Dyson with new signings and a system that complements their attributes. If we go down, I can't see us getting back up in a hurry with DA's track record of getting his defences to gel, a procedure that requires months of arduous defeats and shrugged shoulders. It is absolutely vital this squad does not get relegated - we need to stay up and let DA use his surgeon's scalpel on the squad.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":27vkdcf7 said:
It would be a disaster. It is nothing to do with mentality, our squad just isn't very good at the moment. I identified 5 players that I would take forward in either division - ASB, Threlkeld, Songo'o, Lameiras, and Ladapo. I will give Jones the benefit of the doubt however the jury is still out. Carey is not justifying his top earner status at the moment, Fox looks like he can't keep up anymore, Sarcevic and Ness are going through the motions, Sawyer is nearly 34, Canavan and Edwards look easily replaceable with improvements, Moore has had a poor season, Macey simply won't be required next season, Riley has been ordinary and injury ridden, Dyson's season has been a waste of time, Ainsworth will almost definitely be leaving, Joel Grant will be recovering from a career threatening injury, midfielder Connor Grant hasn't had a decent performance in midfield all season, and Scott Wootton is possibly not even Football League quality any longer. Ryan Taylor is too good and on too much money to be playing twenty minutes a week - if he is not starting he very well he moving on.

Some of these players are on two year contracts. Player for player, we are worse than the season we got promoted in every single position, so much so I can't envisage a lot of the above mounting a promotion campaign. Our only option is to stay up, move as much deadwood on and figure out how we can unlock the potential of Moore, ASB, Grant and Dyson with new signings and a system that complements their attributes. If we go down, I can't see us getting back up in a hurry with DA's track record of getting his defences to gel, a procedure that requires months of arduous defeats and shrugged shoulders. It is absolutely vital this squad does not get relegated - we need to stay up and let DA use his surgeon's scalpel on the squad.

Moore and Dyson ARE the dead wood! Makes no sense. You are saying Adams made a pigs ear of recruitment and now he can do it all over again!

May 16, 2016
I read comments online about how going to Torquay is the new Anti Argyle stance. This Season at least, their relative League drop and success seems to have enthused the Support.

Might not necessarily work for us though. However, I'm sure the Big Fish - we're a big Club Section amongst us would relish the chance to sneer and lord it over the smaller outfits.

Oct 22, 2018
Very brave first post but I think you know hat going to follow. To answer the question, relagation not good so let's hope we can stay up. The only positive thing might be if we had a successful season we would get good attendances.
Although we seem to have had some good ones this year inspite of what a lot on here playing s........t football. Which is not true at times it has been excellent. (were is that tin hat ).

Good luck with your posts in the future

meetoo

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
I thinking somebody has been drinking too much of the strong stuff! Relegation, good for a club? Donā€™t make me laugh....

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
Jeez

Was only a matter of time for this post to appear

Only at PAFC can this question be asked

Yes relegation to league 2 would be "that Bad"

We spent years getting back to this level. Its a hard league to get back out of. The football is dire

Have some pride man