What is our Number 1 problem ? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

What is our Number 1 problem ?

Oct 5, 2013
Clearly, we're in the mire, and I think we all agree on this.
So what is our primary problem, the "Number 1 problem" that lies behind the situation we are now in ?

Mar 23, 2008
An average manager, wasting his budget on an average bunch of players, many of whom have not done enough this season to claim any meaningful contribution. We will stay up this season but only just, sad times at HP.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
In the big picture on the pitch, it has to be an average-low playing budget made effectively much lower by location and unappealing facilities. Specifically this season, it’s also been an unusually high number of dud signings and ‘something’ about Derek Adams’ management that makes us shocking at either end of the season. I don’t think anyone knows why exactly that is, if it’s intense training sessions or poor pre- season or state of the pitches or what.

Obviously he’s going to get intense criticism and does have faults and gets things wrong, but ALL managers are guilty of tactical faults and bad signings. The difference here is that there’s no margin for error given everything is so tight and we couldn’t patch things up in January.

This has been a weird, weird season. We’re going to have finished 5th, 2nd, 7th, and.... 20th-odd. That’s with a player near the top of the assist chart in GC, one of the divisions top players in RL, and despite the poor recruitment... arguably the best pre-season signing in Ladapo.

Actually, forget all that... we just can’t flipping defend under any kind of pressure. Which is definitely a failing of the management, as in theory that’s the thing you get right on the training ground.

Mar 8, 2016
Biggs":1mdc902i said:
In the big picture on the pitch, it has to be an average-low playing budget made effectively much lower by location and unappealing facilities. Specifically this season, it’s also been an unusually high number of dud signings and ‘something’ about Derek Adams’ management that makes us shocking at either end of the season. I don’t think anyone knows why exactly that is, if it’s intense training sessions or poor pre- season or state of the pitches or what.

Obviously he’s going to get intense criticism and does have faults and gets things wrong, but ALL managers are guilty of tactical faults and bad signings. The difference here is that there’s no margin for error given everything is so tight and we couldn’t patch things up in January.

This has been a weird, weird season. We’re going to have finished 5th, 2nd, 7th, and.... 20th-odd. That’s with a player near the top of the assist chart in GC, one of the divisions top players in RL, and despite the poor recruitment... arguably the best pre-season signing in Ladapo.

Actually, forget all that... we just can’t flipping defend under any kind of pressure. Which is definitely a failing of the management, as in theory that’s the thing you get right on the training ground.

Yeah what Biggs said pretty much sums it up.

Jun 2, 2016
On the field, the midfield.
Can't blame the strikers if they don't get service.
Defence constantly under attack will crack.
The midfield 4 need to win the ball, provide chances and chip in with goals.
Carey's form has fallen off a cliff.
Lameiras has started believing the hype.
Sarcevic often produces performances that a pro should be ashamed of.
Fox is off the pace.
Ness doesn't play more than 6 games in a row.
Songo'o gives everything but isn't going to get us promoted...

Jan 27, 2012
Various sources suggest that the playing budget is towards the lower end of League One. It’s a shame as the gates are large for this division and the club has a big catchment and hence marketing base.

Over the long run, the playing budget is usually a big factor in the success of a team.

Jul 29, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
Some of the older (?) PASOTI members will remember George Graham of Arsenal fame. When he built a team it was from the defence and forward. If DA is to stay he has to get players of good defence ability and then go forward. I don't expect a new "Tony Adams et al", but there must be good defenders out there who would come. I'm still amazed that Sonny Bradley was allowed to leave, which must be down to the budget. This coming season in League 1 (fingers crossed) then the Board MUST speculate a little to guarantee a good team and move on. If they (the Board) don't invest then they will reap what they don't sow and oblivion beckons. :scarf: Surely they could use some academy players - other teams do: if they are old enough to play then play them. They cannot be worse than some of the old-timers that have struggled this season.

We are clearly lacking in all areas of the pitch but I think the centre forward position has caused us more problems than people realise. Ladapo, for me, doesn't have the attributes to be effective up front on his own. Yes he's scored goals, but he's not winning enough high up the pitch and helping the team move forward.

I'm not jumping on the Taylor bandwagon, as there must be a reason why he's out of favour, but we need an alternative to Ladapo.