Daily Catch Up - Saturday 20 April | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Daily Catch Up - Saturday 20 April

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
The latest Argyle news.

Derek Adams spoke to the club website about the full debut of defender Lloyd Jones ....
“Lloyd Jones came in and had a very good full debut. Second-half, they make a tactical change, take Eaves off, and it benefits them. He’s one of the top goal scorers in the league, but it enabled them to play in a different style.

“I thought he did well and dealt well with the threats that Gillingham were causing. That’s important for him, because it’s not easy coming in for your full debut.
“We’ll assess it and look at the players tomorrow and Sunday, and see who is ready for the game on Monday. We don’t have the luxury of making too many changes, but there are options.”

Derek Adams talks about playing Freddie Ladapo and Ryan Taylor as a strike pair ....
"You have seen I have tried it so many times and it hasn't worked for us.
"They are individuals. They don't play as a two. When you have a two up front then you have to have a chemistry

"The two of them don't have a chemistry to play together.
"Freddie has come in this season and done exceptionally well. Graham Carey hasn't scored enough goals.
"Antoni Sarcevic hasn't scored enough, Jamie Ness hasn't scored enough. So they have got to take the weight on their shoulders and score the goals."

Kevin Johnson is the referee for the crucial Easter Monday game against Barnsley. So far this season he has issued 122 yellow cards and six reds in 40 games and it will be the fourth time he has officiated in an Argyle game this season – he was the man in the middle for the home games against Doncaster Rovers and Accrington Stanley and the EFL Cup game at Bristol City.

The Barnsley game will be shown live on IFollow for UK subscribers.

You Tube video Gillingham match highlights

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
well derek if there is no chemistry between these two blokes try a bit of physics.drop Antoni and play alex fletcher as an attacking midfielder who will score goals for us!i think it is shameful that this talented player never gets a look in. :furious:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Steve Evans":20hkdgu2 said:
well derek if there is no chemistry between these two blokes try a bit of physics.drop Antoni and play alex fletcher as an attacking midfielder who will score goals for us!i think it is shameful that this talented player never gets a look in. :furious:

And if you know it doesn't work why do you keep trying it even if only for later parts of matches. 45 minutes at Doncaster just a week ago. :crazy:

Aug 5, 2016
Because he gets attacked for not changing things, for being stubborn etc.

Taylor will at least give their defence a new headache and it might lead to free kicks, set pieces and a chance or two. But DA is right. They just don't complement each other very well, don't make chances for one another. Last season Carey and Lameiras benefited on the wings from Taylor, but Ladapo can't seem to read Taylor at all or vice versa. They are always on separate wavelengths.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
But Taylor rarely gets free kicks because referees think he is faking it. Look at the number of times he goes over when perhaps staying up and fighting for the ball would be the better option.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":103xxwuf said:
Because he gets attacked for not changing things, for being stubborn etc.

Taylor will at least give their defence a new headache and it might lead to free kicks, set pieces and a chance or two. But DA is right. They just don't complement each other very well, don't make chances for one another. Last season Carey and Lameiras benefited on the wings from Taylor, but Ladapo can't seem to read Taylor at all or vice versa. They are always on separate wavelengths.

Radical thought Mr Knibbsworth but why not Taylor on and Ladapo off, bring Carey and Lameiras into the game, but no that wouldn`t work would it because we tried that after Christmas last season, and look what a shambles that was. :twisted:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
still pro DA but cant fathom why he doesn’t start Taylor in away games, when teams attack us more. Yes Ladapo scores yesterday but I think Taylor would have made more of an overall contribution if he’d have started instead of Freddie.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
JannerinCardiff":fw33qymq said:
still pro DA but cant fathom why he doesn’t start Taylor in away games, when teams attack us more. Yes Ladapo scores yesterday but I think Taylor would have made more of an overall contribution if he’d have started instead of Freddie.

The flip side is that the pace of Ladapo worries opposition defenders, so instead of long balls to the head or chest of Taylor to get the team up the pitch we hit long balls over the opposition defence for Ladapo to chase to get the team up the pitch.

It's irrelevant now but makes a point - would Taylor have scored that goal against Gillingham the same way Ladapo did?

I'm not hung up who plays as long as the team plays to their strengths.

Mar 16, 2009
London
PL2 3DQ":17ncipn5 said:
JannerinCardiff":17ncipn5 said:

The flip side is that the pace of Ladapo worries opposition defenders, so instead of long balls to the head or chest of Taylor to get the team up the pitch we hit long balls over the opposition defence for Ladapo to chase to get the team up the pitch.

It's irrelevant now but makes a point - would Taylor have scored that goal against Gillingham the same way Ladapo did?

I'm not hung up who plays as long as the team plays to their strengths.

Exactly this.

Also, out of the 3 remaining games 2 are at home. Freddie’s scored 13 goals in 20 league starts at Home Park, there’s simply no way he’s making way for a player who hasn’t scored a goal all season.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Also, out of the 3 remaining games 2 are at home. Freddie’s scored 13 goals in 20 league starts at Home Park, there’s simply no way he’s making way for a player who hasn’t scored a goal all season.
There was an analysis on this recently it showed that Taylor MUST start the next 2 games. Then last game revert back to Fred.

Mar 24, 2019
r4h4al":3u7x8rsq said:
There was an analysis on this recently it showed that Taylor MUST start the next 2 games. Then last game revert back to Fred.
I would also go with Taylor ,simply because of how well the front 3 linked up last year..but it would be a brave move to drop your top score at the business end of a relegation battle

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I can't fathom the continuing calls for Ryan Taylor to start. There's been scant evidence from his substitute appearances to support this, He looked a reasonable player before his long injury lay-off but that is all in my opinion. Argyle's problems are much more conceding too many goals due to a weak back four and one dodgy keeper, than a lack of goals scored.

Dec 3, 2005
Derek Adams talks about playing Freddie Ladapo and Ryan Taylor as a strike pair ....

How many times as he tried it from the start of a game?

Players do not just 'click' they have to play together to build up an understanding/chemistry.

Mariner & Rafferty took a while to get going.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
djg145":2o3le9wm said:

How many times as he tried it from the start of a game?

Players do not just 'click' they have to play together to build up an understanding/chemistry.

Mariner & Rafferty took a while to get going.
He's tried it once against the Posh, and I thought it worked. We won the game 1-0 after all.